Re: [SCA-IKCAC] Changes/Additions for 2008 IKAC/IKCAC Season plus a note about Gulf War archery

  • John edgerton
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 26, 2007
      1-DPS: I suggest that until it is well established that it be open
      to all bow types, both modern and period. Later when established it
      can be made into divisions as needed.

      No timed ends. Although there are illustrations of German crossbow
      meets with a large hourglass in the foreground, it may have only been
      used to keep overall track of the time of the event rather than time
      individual shooting.

      Use a period target and period scoring. Period scoring tended to be
      either a hit or a miss. One point for a hit and nothing for a miss.
      Sometimes only the most central hit was the winner and got the point.
      Usually only one or two arrows/bolts were shot per end. Sometimes
      different size targets were used a different distances. The greater
      the distance the larger the scoring area.

      It would be nice to have some long range target shooting, 100+ yards
      or a clout. However, this could reduce the number of events and
      locations where it could be shot due to space limitations.

      Should it fit in with the shooting of a RR or IKAC by using one or
      more of the same distances or at least the same range?

      Should the target be capable of being hit by most all archers or only
      the more skilled?

      I will post a possible DPS after I go look up my sources. I have
      been working on an article on period shoots.

      2-Period nocks: Continue to allow period nocks. If a nock or any
      part of an arrow is unsafe a TAM may not allow its use on the range.
      There is no need to ban self nocks as a class, only ban unsafe
      equipment as it is found.

      Illegal in some kingdoms? Then they should look into rewriting their
      target archery rules to allow the period style equipment that we
      should all be encouraging.

      As to them being a danger. They have been in use almost the start of
      archery. The first arrows were likely to have had no nocks, just the
      flat butt end. They are currently allowed by all major archery
      organizations that have period or traditional divisions.

      As to turning in period division scores when not using period
      division legal equipment, plastic nocks instead of self nocks. If
      the marshal running the shoot is allowing that, they could also be
      allowing modern laminate recurves or compounds. Are we going to not
      allow period longbows or recurves because someone, somewhere may be
      shooting modern recurves with sights, stabilizers, a release and
      aluminum arrows and turning in scores? If this is felt to be a major
      problem, then require the marshal in charge to verify on the score
      sheet that ALL equipment in ALL divisions meets the requirements for
      the competition. I think this would be a given in the first place.

      3-AGE tourney: Sure sounds like fun. I wish I could make it.