Re: [SCA-Archery] Question on Crossbows for Calontir?

  • ld.blackmoon
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 26, 2007
      greetings

      this is what the calontir missile weapons handbook has to say about crossbows.

      c. Crossbows - Crossbows should have a wooden stock and a metal or fiberglass prod fastened to the front with bolts, U-bolts, Sinew or a combination there of. No prod may have a hole in it. The strings may be Dacron or other similar materials. Fixed rear and period sights are allowed. Like bows, stabilizers or weights to aid stability are not allowed. Crossbows may not have a draw weight of over 150 pounds.

      d. Crossbow Bolts - Bolts like arrows should have wooden shaft and feather/fur fletches. They should have a metal target point (tip). Bolts

      should also be properly spined to the weight of the crossbow.

      the complete page is available at : http://www.calontirarchery.org/

      hope that helped ; )

      be safe, be happy, have fun

      arthur blackmoon

        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 26, 2007
          Just curious why the Calontir rules do not seem to allow bow irons
          or cord other than sinew for securing the prod?

          Jon

          >> From: "ld.blackmoon" <ld.blackmoon@...>
          >> Date: November 26, 2007 12:03:20 AM PST
          >> To: <SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com>
          >> Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Question on Crossbows for Calontir?
          >>
          >> greetings
          >>
          >> this is what the calontir missile weapons handbook has to say
          >> about crossbows.
          >>

          >> c. Crossbows - Crossbows should have a wooden stock and a metal or
          >> fiberglass prod fastened to the front with bolts, U-bolts, Sinew
          >> or a combination there of. No prod may have a hole in it. The
          >> strings may be Dacron or other similar materials. Fixed rear and
          >> period sights are allowed. Like bows, stabilizers or weights to
          >> aid stability are not allowed. Crossbows may not have a draw
          >> weight of over 150 pounds.
          >>
          >> d. Crossbow Bolts - Bolts like arrows should have wooden shaft and
          >> feather/fur fletches. They should have a metal target point (tip).
          >> Bolts
          >>
          >> should also be properly spined to the weight of the crossbow.
          >>
          >> the complete page is available at : http://www.calontirarchery.org/
          >>
          >> hope that helped ; )
          >>
          >> be safe, be happy, have fun
          >>
          >> arthur blackmoon

        • Michael Scherrer
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 26, 2007
            Will you be at Kris Kinder?
            Archery meeting at noon, good time to catch some one and ask about crossbows.
            Thomas

            To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.comFrom: gilmyn@...: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 07:08:10 +0000Subject: [SCA-Archery] Question on Crossbows for Calontir?

            Greetings all good gentles,I have found myself rather confused and unable to find rules on what is legal as far as crossbows in the kingdom of Calontir. (I am probably just overlooking it) but could someone who knows the subject contact me, My big question is what makes a crossbow sca legal to shoot in sca events i know compounds are out but what other requirements must they meet, this way if i show up to an event with a crossbow i wont look like a goof (any more than normal)any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated. The reason i am asking is a friend of mine buys foreclosure homes and found a wooden crossbow and is willing to sell it to me cheap but i need to know if i am just wasting money if i buy it.Thank you.In Service to the DreamYIS Lord Blackleg Gilmyn

          • John edgerton
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 26, 2007
              How well do the fur fletches work compared to feather? I have used
              narrow fur strips behind the feather fletching on arrows before to
              make them easier to see in the target at longer distances. But, I
              had never thought of using them alone for fletching.

              Is there a reason why period fletching materials such as: leather,
              parchment or wood are not allowed?

              I feel that matching all of a set bolts in spine (as well as weight,
              diameter, balance, etc.) helps to make more accurate bolts. But, I
              have never seen a rule before requiring bolts to be matched in
              spine. How close does Calontir require that they be matched? Do the
              marshals have a special spine tester for crossbow bolts?

              Jon

              > >> From: "ld.blackmoon" <ld.blackmoon@...>
              > >> Date: November 26, 2007 12:03:20 AM PST
              > >> To: <SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com>
              > >> Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Question on Crossbows for Calontir?
              > >>

              > >> d. Crossbow Bolts - Bolts like arrows should have wooden shaft and
              > >> feather/fur fletches. They should have a metal target point (tip).
              > >> Bolts
              > >>
              > >> should also be properly spined to the weight of the crossbow.
              > >>
              > >> the complete page is available at : http://www.calontirarchery.org/
              > >>
              > >> hope that helped ; )
              > >>
              > >> be safe, be happy, have fun
              > >>
              > >> arthur blackmoon

            • reza gilman

                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 26, 2007
                  Why yes, sir Jon! I carry a little spine tester that measures on 13
                  inch centers, just for such problems. (j/k)

                  That rule I can speak of. It gives newer marshalls the confidence
                  to speak up when they see something like a 1/4" shaft being used on
                  a 120lb crossbow. As I understand it, the rules were written when
                  not a lot of crossbows were being seen on the Calontiri lines, and
                  basic safety rules were being put down on parchment.

                  Calontir has an odd crossbow culture in one sense. Many of our most
                  decorated and deserving archers are crossbow shooters. They have an
                  (unwritten?) code of not shooting with sights, regardless of what
                  the rules say. Most of the recent Archer Generals have been
                  crossbow shooters by preference, and I suspect have advised our
                  Majesties that there is no pressing need to change our rules.

                  I would also suspect that most Calontiri marshalls would consider a
                  bow iron to be a form of U-Bolt. It has been clarified that
                  Artificial Sinew is acceptable as a replacement for Sinew.

                  Logan the Boweyder

                  --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, John edgerton <sirjon1@...>
                  wrote:

                  > How well do the fur fletches work compared to feather? I have
                  used
                  > narrow fur strips behind the feather fletching on arrows before
                  > make them easier to see in the target at longer distances. But,
                  > had never thought of using them alone for fletching.
                  >
                  > Is there a reason why period fletching materials such as:
                  leather,
                  > parchment or wood are not allowed?
                  >
                  > I feel that matching all of a set bolts in spine (as well as
                  weight,
                  > diameter, balance, etc.) helps to make more accurate bolts. But,
                  > have never seen a rule before requiring bolts to be matched in
                  > spine. How close does Calontir require that they be matched? Do
                  the
                  > marshals have a special spine tester for crossbow bolts?
                  >
                  > Jon

                  http://www.calontirarchery.org/

                • ld.blackmoon
                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 26, 2007
                    greetings

                    i have no idea, i'm actually from ansteorra = ) , and always shot recurve when i lived up there.
                    i just looked their rules up online .

                    be safe, be happy, have fun
                    arthur blackmoon

                    Just curious why the Calontir rules do not seem to allow bow irons
                    or cord other than sinew for securing the prod?

                    Jon

                    >> From: "ld.blackmoon" <ld.blackmoon@...>
                    >> Date: November 26, 2007 12:03:20 AM PST
                    >> To: <SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com>
                    >> Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Question on Crossbows for Calontir?
                    >>
                    >> greetings
                    >>
                    >> this is what the calontir missile weapons handbook has to say
                    >> about crossbows.
                    >>

                    >> c. Crossbows - Crossbows should have a wooden stock and a metal or
                    >> fiberglass prod fastened to the front with bolts, U-bolts, Sinew
                    >> or a combination there of. No prod may have a hole in it. The
                    >> strings may be Dacron or other similar materials. Fixed rear and
                    >> period sights are allowed. Like bows, stabilizers or weights to
                    >> aid stability are not allowed. Crossbows may not have a draw
                    >> weight of over 150 pounds.
                    >>
                    >> d. Crossbow Bolts - Bolts like arrows should have wooden shaft and
                    >> feather/fur fletches. They should have a metal target point (tip).
                    >> Bolts
                    >>
                    >> should also be properly spined to the weight of the crossbow.
                    >>
                    >> the complete page is available at : http://www.calontirarchery.org/
                    >>
                    >> hope that helped ; )
                    >>
                    >> be safe, be happy, have fun
                    >>
                    >> arthur blackmoon

                  • Michael Scherrer
                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 26, 2007
                      I will be there also.
                      Bring your questions and I will try to get answers for you.
                      E-mail me just before Queens and I will see about bringing a few books I have.
                      Thomas

                      To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.comFrom: gilmyn@...: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 10:42:12 -0800Subject: RE: [SCA-Archery] Question on Crossbows for Calontir?

                      Unfortunatly I will not be in attendance at kris kinder but i will be at Queens prize.Michael Scherrer <lordthomas@...> wrote: Will you be at Kris Kinder?Archery meeting at noon, good time to catch some one and ask about crossbows.ThomasTo: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.comFrom: gilmyn@...: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 07:08:10 +0000Subject: [SCA-Archery] Question on Crossbows for Calontir?Greetings all good gentles,I have found myself rather confused and unable to find rules on what is legal as far as crossbows in the kingdom of Calontir. (I am probably just overlooking it) but could someone who knows the subject contact me, My big question is what makes a crossbow sca legal to shoot in sca events i know compounds are out but what other requirements must they meet, this way if i show up to an event with a crossbow i wont look like a goof (any more than normal)any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated. The reason i am asking is a friend of mine buys foreclosure homes and found a wooden crossbow and is willing to sell it to me cheap but i need to know if i am just wasting money if i buy it.Thank you.In Service to the DreamYIS Lord Blackleg Gilmyn __________________________________________________________You keep typing, we keep giving. Download Messenger and join the i�m Initiative now.http://im.live.com/messenger/im/home/?source=TAGLM[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]-- [Email to SCA-Archery-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com to leave this list]Yahoo! Groups Links---------------------------------Be a better pen pal. Text or chat with friends inside Yahoo! Mail. See how.[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 26, 2007
                        Thanks. It makes a bit more sense with your explanation.

                        Jon
                        On Nov 26, 2007, at 11:02 AM, logantheboweyder wrote:

                        > Why yes, sir Jon! I carry a little spine tester that measures on 13
                        > inch centers, just for such problems. (j/k)
                        >
                        > That rule I can speak of. It gives newer marshalls the confidence
                        > to speak up when they see something like a 1/4" shaft being used on
                        > a 120lb crossbow. As I understand it, the rules were written when
                        > not a lot of crossbows were being seen on the Calontiri lines, and
                        > basic safety rules were being put down on parchment.
                        >
                        > Calontir has an odd crossbow culture in one sense. Many of our most
                        > decorated and deserving archers are crossbow shooters. They have an
                        > (unwritten?) code of not shooting with sights, regardless of what
                        > the rules say. Most of the recent Archer Generals have been
                        > crossbow shooters by preference, and I suspect have advised our
                        > Majesties that there is no pressing need to change our rules.
                        >
                        > I would also suspect that most Calontiri marshalls would consider a
                        > bow iron to be a form of U-Bolt. It has been clarified that
                        > Artificial Sinew is acceptable as a replacement for Sinew.
                        >
                        > Logan the Boweyder

                      • reza gilman
                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 26, 2007
                          That would be great, i look forward to it.
                          Gilmyn

                          Michael Scherrer <lordthomas@...> wrote:

                          I will be there also.
                          Bring your questions and I will try to get answers for you.
                          E-mail me just before Queens and I will see about bringing a few books I have.
                          Thomas

                          To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.comFrom: gilmyn@...: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 10:42:12 -0800Subject: RE: [SCA-Archery] Question on Crossbows for Calontir?

                          Unfortunatly I will not be in attendance at kris kinder but i will be at Queens prize.Michael Scherrer wrote: Will you be at Kris Kinder?Archery meeting at noon, good time to catch some one and ask about crossbows.ThomasTo: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.comFrom: gilmyn@...: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 07:08:10 +0000Subject: [SCA-Archery] Question on Crossbows for Calontir?Greetings all good gentles,I have found myself rather confused and unable to find rules on what is legal as far as crossbows in the kingdom of Calontir. (I am probably just overlooking it) but could someone who knows the subject contact me, My big question is what makes a crossbow sca legal to shoot in sca events i know compounds are out but what other requirements must they meet, this way if i show up to an event with a crossbow i wont look like a goof (any more than normal)any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated. The reason i am asking is a friend of mine buys foreclosure homes and found a wooden
                          crossbow and is willing to sell it to me cheap but i need to know if i am just wasting money if i buy it.Thank you.In Service to the DreamYIS Lord Blackleg Gilmyn __________________________________________________________You keep typing, we keep giving. Download Messenger and join the i’m Initiative now.http://im.live.com/messenger/im/home/?source=TAGLM[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]-- [Email to SCA-Archery-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com to leave this list]Yahoo! Groups Links---------------------------------Be a better pen pal. Text or chat with friends inside Yahoo! Mail. See how.[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

                        • Hugh Prescott
                          Message 12 of 13 , Nov 28, 2007
                            Actually I think I can read that as allowing bow irons, not too
                            different from the U bolt.

                            Baron Hugh
                            Huscarl of Calontir