Question on Crossbows for Calontir?

  • gilmyn
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 25, 2007
      Greetings all good gentles,
      I have found myself rather confused and unable to find rules on what is
      legal as far as crossbows in the kingdom of Calontir. (I am probably
      just overlooking it) but could someone who knows the subject contact
      me, My big question is what makes a crossbow sca legal to shoot in sca
      events i know compounds are out but what other requirements must they
      meet, this way if i show up to an event with a crossbow i wont look
      like a goof (any more than normal)any help on this subject would be
      greatly appreciated. The reason i am asking is a friend of mine buys
      foreclosure homes and found a wooden crossbow and is willing to sell
      it to me cheap but i need to know if i am just wasting money if i buy
      it.Thank you.
      In Service to the Dream
      YIS Lord Blackleg Gilmyn
    • ld.blackmoon
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 26, 2007
        greetings

        this is what the calontir missile weapons handbook has to say about crossbows.

        c. Crossbows - Crossbows should have a wooden stock and a metal or fiberglass prod fastened to the front with bolts, U-bolts, Sinew or a combination there of. No prod may have a hole in it. The strings may be Dacron or other similar materials. Fixed rear and period sights are allowed. Like bows, stabilizers or weights to aid stability are not allowed. Crossbows may not have a draw weight of over 150 pounds.

        d. Crossbow Bolts - Bolts like arrows should have wooden shaft and feather/fur fletches. They should have a metal target point (tip). Bolts

        should also be properly spined to the weight of the crossbow.

        the complete page is available at : http://www.calontirarchery.org/

        hope that helped ; )

        be safe, be happy, have fun

        arthur blackmoon

          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 26, 2007
            Just curious why the Calontir rules do not seem to allow bow irons
            or cord other than sinew for securing the prod?

            Jon

            >> From: "ld.blackmoon" <ld.blackmoon@...>
            >> Date: November 26, 2007 12:03:20 AM PST
            >> To: <SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com>
            >> Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Question on Crossbows for Calontir?
            >>
            >> greetings
            >>
            >> this is what the calontir missile weapons handbook has to say
            >> about crossbows.
            >>

            >> c. Crossbows - Crossbows should have a wooden stock and a metal or
            >> fiberglass prod fastened to the front with bolts, U-bolts, Sinew
            >> or a combination there of. No prod may have a hole in it. The
            >> strings may be Dacron or other similar materials. Fixed rear and
            >> period sights are allowed. Like bows, stabilizers or weights to
            >> aid stability are not allowed. Crossbows may not have a draw
            >> weight of over 150 pounds.
            >>
            >> d. Crossbow Bolts - Bolts like arrows should have wooden shaft and
            >> feather/fur fletches. They should have a metal target point (tip).
            >> Bolts
            >>
            >> should also be properly spined to the weight of the crossbow.
            >>
            >> the complete page is available at : http://www.calontirarchery.org/
            >>
            >> hope that helped ; )
            >>
            >> be safe, be happy, have fun
            >>
            >> arthur blackmoon

          • Michael Scherrer
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 26, 2007
              Will you be at Kris Kinder?
              Archery meeting at noon, good time to catch some one and ask about crossbows.
              Thomas

              To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.comFrom: gilmyn@...: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 07:08:10 +0000Subject: [SCA-Archery] Question on Crossbows for Calontir?

              Greetings all good gentles,I have found myself rather confused and unable to find rules on what is legal as far as crossbows in the kingdom of Calontir. (I am probably just overlooking it) but could someone who knows the subject contact me, My big question is what makes a crossbow sca legal to shoot in sca events i know compounds are out but what other requirements must they meet, this way if i show up to an event with a crossbow i wont look like a goof (any more than normal)any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated. The reason i am asking is a friend of mine buys foreclosure homes and found a wooden crossbow and is willing to sell it to me cheap but i need to know if i am just wasting money if i buy it.Thank you.In Service to the DreamYIS Lord Blackleg Gilmyn

            • John edgerton
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 26, 2007
                How well do the fur fletches work compared to feather? I have used
                narrow fur strips behind the feather fletching on arrows before to
                make them easier to see in the target at longer distances. But, I
                had never thought of using them alone for fletching.

                Is there a reason why period fletching materials such as: leather,
                parchment or wood are not allowed?

                I feel that matching all of a set bolts in spine (as well as weight,
                diameter, balance, etc.) helps to make more accurate bolts. But, I
                have never seen a rule before requiring bolts to be matched in
                spine. How close does Calontir require that they be matched? Do the
                marshals have a special spine tester for crossbow bolts?

                Jon

                > >> From: "ld.blackmoon" <ld.blackmoon@...>
                > >> Date: November 26, 2007 12:03:20 AM PST
                > >> To: <SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com>
                > >> Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Question on Crossbows for Calontir?
                > >>

                > >> d. Crossbow Bolts - Bolts like arrows should have wooden shaft and
                > >> feather/fur fletches. They should have a metal target point (tip).
                > >> Bolts
                > >>
                > >> should also be properly spined to the weight of the crossbow.
                > >>
                > >> the complete page is available at : http://www.calontirarchery.org/
                > >>
                > >> hope that helped ; )
                > >>
                > >> be safe, be happy, have fun
                > >>
                > >> arthur blackmoon

              • reza gilman

                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 26, 2007
                    Why yes, sir Jon! I carry a little spine tester that measures on 13
                    inch centers, just for such problems. (j/k)

                    That rule I can speak of. It gives newer marshalls the confidence
                    to speak up when they see something like a 1/4" shaft being used on
                    a 120lb crossbow. As I understand it, the rules were written when
                    not a lot of crossbows were being seen on the Calontiri lines, and
                    basic safety rules were being put down on parchment.

                    Calontir has an odd crossbow culture in one sense. Many of our most
                    decorated and deserving archers are crossbow shooters. They have an
                    (unwritten?) code of not shooting with sights, regardless of what
                    the rules say. Most of the recent Archer Generals have been
                    crossbow shooters by preference, and I suspect have advised our
                    Majesties that there is no pressing need to change our rules.

                    I would also suspect that most Calontiri marshalls would consider a
                    bow iron to be a form of U-Bolt. It has been clarified that
                    Artificial Sinew is acceptable as a replacement for Sinew.

                    Logan the Boweyder

                    --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, John edgerton <sirjon1@...>
                    wrote:

                    > How well do the fur fletches work compared to feather? I have
                    used
                    > narrow fur strips behind the feather fletching on arrows before
                    > make them easier to see in the target at longer distances. But,
                    > had never thought of using them alone for fletching.
                    >
                    > Is there a reason why period fletching materials such as:
                    leather,
                    > parchment or wood are not allowed?
                    >
                    > I feel that matching all of a set bolts in spine (as well as
                    weight,
                    > diameter, balance, etc.) helps to make more accurate bolts. But,
                    > have never seen a rule before requiring bolts to be matched in
                    > spine. How close does Calontir require that they be matched? Do
                    the
                    > marshals have a special spine tester for crossbow bolts?
                    >
                    > Jon

                    http://www.calontirarchery.org/

                  • ld.blackmoon
                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 26, 2007
                      greetings

                      i have no idea, i'm actually from ansteorra = ) , and always shot recurve when i lived up there.
                      i just looked their rules up online .

                      be safe, be happy, have fun
                      arthur blackmoon

                      Just curious why the Calontir rules do not seem to allow bow irons
                      or cord other than sinew for securing the prod?

                      Jon

                      >> From: "ld.blackmoon" <ld.blackmoon@...>
                      >> Date: November 26, 2007 12:03:20 AM PST
                      >> To: <SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com>
                      >> Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Question on Crossbows for Calontir?
                      >>
                      >> greetings
                      >>
                      >> this is what the calontir missile weapons handbook has to say
                      >> about crossbows.
                      >>

                      >> c. Crossbows - Crossbows should have a wooden stock and a metal or
                      >> fiberglass prod fastened to the front with bolts, U-bolts, Sinew
                      >> or a combination there of. No prod may have a hole in it. The
                      >> strings may be Dacron or other similar materials. Fixed rear and
                      >> period sights are allowed. Like bows, stabilizers or weights to
                      >> aid stability are not allowed. Crossbows may not have a draw
                      >> weight of over 150 pounds.
                      >>
                      >> d. Crossbow Bolts - Bolts like arrows should have wooden shaft and
                      >> feather/fur fletches. They should have a metal target point (tip).
                      >> Bolts
                      >>
                      >> should also be properly spined to the weight of the crossbow.
                      >>
                      >> the complete page is available at : http://www.calontirarchery.org/
                      >>
                      >> hope that helped ; )
                      >>
                      >> be safe, be happy, have fun
                      >>
                      >> arthur blackmoon

                    • Michael Scherrer
                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 26, 2007
                        I will be there also.
                        Bring your questions and I will try to get answers for you.
                        E-mail me just before Queens and I will see about bringing a few books I have.
                        Thomas

                        To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.comFrom: gilmyn@...: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 10:42:12 -0800Subject: RE: [SCA-Archery] Question on Crossbows for Calontir?

                        Unfortunatly I will not be in attendance at kris kinder but i will be at Queens prize.Michael Scherrer <lordthomas@...> wrote: Will you be at Kris Kinder?Archery meeting at noon, good time to catch some one and ask about crossbows.ThomasTo: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.comFrom: gilmyn@...: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 07:08:10 +0000Subject: [SCA-Archery] Question on Crossbows for Calontir?Greetings all good gentles,I have found myself rather confused and unable to find rules on what is legal as far as crossbows in the kingdom of Calontir. (I am probably just overlooking it) but could someone who knows the subject contact me, My big question is what makes a crossbow sca legal to shoot in sca events i know compounds are out but what other requirements must they meet, this way if i show up to an event with a crossbow i wont look like a goof (any more than normal)any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated. The reason i am asking is a friend of mine buys foreclosure homes and found a wooden crossbow and is willing to sell it to me cheap but i need to know if i am just wasting money if i buy it.Thank you.In Service to the DreamYIS Lord Blackleg Gilmyn __________________________________________________________You keep typing, we keep giving. Download Messenger and join the i�m Initiative now.http://im.live.com/messenger/im/home/?source=TAGLM[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]-- [Email to SCA-Archery-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com to leave this list]Yahoo! Groups Links---------------------------------Be a better pen pal. Text or chat with friends inside Yahoo! Mail. See how.[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 26, 2007
                          Thanks. It makes a bit more sense with your explanation.

                          Jon
                          On Nov 26, 2007, at 11:02 AM, logantheboweyder wrote:

                          > Why yes, sir Jon! I carry a little spine tester that measures on 13
                          > inch centers, just for such problems. (j/k)
                          >
                          > That rule I can speak of. It gives newer marshalls the confidence
                          > to speak up when they see something like a 1/4" shaft being used on
                          > a 120lb crossbow. As I understand it, the rules were written when
                          > not a lot of crossbows were being seen on the Calontiri lines, and
                          > basic safety rules were being put down on parchment.
                          >
                          > Calontir has an odd crossbow culture in one sense. Many of our most
                          > decorated and deserving archers are crossbow shooters. They have an
                          > (unwritten?) code of not shooting with sights, regardless of what
                          > the rules say. Most of the recent Archer Generals have been
                          > crossbow shooters by preference, and I suspect have advised our
                          > Majesties that there is no pressing need to change our rules.
                          >
                          > I would also suspect that most Calontiri marshalls would consider a
                          > bow iron to be a form of U-Bolt. It has been clarified that
                          > Artificial Sinew is acceptable as a replacement for Sinew.
                          >
                          > Logan the Boweyder

                        • reza gilman
                          Message 12 of 13 , Nov 26, 2007
                            That would be great, i look forward to it.
                            Gilmyn

                            Michael Scherrer <lordthomas@...> wrote:

                            I will be there also.
                            Bring your questions and I will try to get answers for you.
                            E-mail me just before Queens and I will see about bringing a few books I have.
                            Thomas

                            To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.comFrom: gilmyn@...: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 10:42:12 -0800Subject: RE: [SCA-Archery] Question on Crossbows for Calontir?

                            Unfortunatly I will not be in attendance at kris kinder but i will be at Queens prize.Michael Scherrer wrote: Will you be at Kris Kinder?Archery meeting at noon, good time to catch some one and ask about crossbows.ThomasTo: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.comFrom: gilmyn@...: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 07:08:10 +0000Subject: [SCA-Archery] Question on Crossbows for Calontir?Greetings all good gentles,I have found myself rather confused and unable to find rules on what is legal as far as crossbows in the kingdom of Calontir. (I am probably just overlooking it) but could someone who knows the subject contact me, My big question is what makes a crossbow sca legal to shoot in sca events i know compounds are out but what other requirements must they meet, this way if i show up to an event with a crossbow i wont look like a goof (any more than normal)any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated. The reason i am asking is a friend of mine buys foreclosure homes and found a wooden
                            crossbow and is willing to sell it to me cheap but i need to know if i am just wasting money if i buy it.Thank you.In Service to the DreamYIS Lord Blackleg Gilmyn __________________________________________________________You keep typing, we keep giving. Download Messenger and join the i’m Initiative now.http://im.live.com/messenger/im/home/?source=TAGLM[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]-- [Email to SCA-Archery-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com to leave this list]Yahoo! Groups Links---------------------------------Be a better pen pal. Text or chat with friends inside Yahoo! Mail. See how.[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

                          • Hugh Prescott
                            Message 13 of 13 , Nov 28, 2007
                              Actually I think I can read that as allowing bow irons, not too
                              different from the U bolt.

                              Baron Hugh
                              Huscarl of Calontir