Re: Re-steaming a selfbow

  • jameswolfden
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 12, 2007
      Adding a backing might help a little. It would have to be wood or
      bamboo backing and not a cloth backing. As has been pointed out, the
      problem is that the cells on belly of bow have been damaged. So you
      could add a backing and then try retillering the bow and, hopefully,
      scrapping away the damaged portion of the belly.

      Or you could try the dry heat, take some of the set out and hope
      that you have cooked it just enough to strengthen the crushed belly
      cells. You are trying to dry out the wood to take some of its
      flexibility away but not dry it too much to destroy the cells even
      more. Personally, I have not have too much success with this
      technique.

      My own thought would be to do nothing. Accept that it has lost some
      of its cast and get as much life out of it as possible. You can then
      decided if you want to make your own bow or buy another one at some
      point. If you are going to make one, it's nice to have a bow you can
      already shoot so you don't feel the need to rush the bow. If you are
      going to buy one, keep using the old one and everytime you do, put a
      couple of dollars into your New Bow Jar.

      It has been suggested that the permanent set (I prefer the term
      stringfollow) was caused by leaving the bow braced for too long.
      While that is a possibility, another possibility is that the bow was
      drawn back too far. The best selfbows are really designed for one
      person and one drawlength. You can 'overbuild' a bow for safety and
      to handle longer drawlengths but at a cost of efficiency, cast, and
      arrow speed.

      James
      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Oakes, George" <goakes@...>
      wrote:

      > But based on stuff I have read about making selfbows, would it
      possible
      > to add a backing????? like a linen, or another wood? bamboo? and
      as it
      > is being glued up remove the set by gluing it up and clamping it
      in such
      > a way as to remove the 'Set" ?
      >
      > You may need to re-tiller the bow to bring the drawweight back
      down?