Re: [SCA-Archery] dropoff and 'period-ness'

  • ld.blackmoon
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 12, 2007
      greetings

      well said sister !!
      but i would add a couple things .
      often it just comes down to cost .....

      1:oak bows
      from my experience , i shoot a 50# fiberglass laminate recurve , that i've shot for many many years , do to my arm length i over draw , so my actual draw weight on this bow is 62# , i had the pleasure of shooting a 70# bo d'arc long bow, it was a high $$ bow , but it pulled easier than my 62 # recurve, and was just as fast off the bow . unfortunatly as sweet as it was, it was way out of my below poverty level finances .
      it has also been my experience that the cheaper wood bows,are usualy made from oak, and while they are period looking, they normaly dont seem to last as long as the high dollar , or recurve bows.
      so i can't even say that they are good choices for more experienced archers , especialy since self bows tend to require much more closely ballanced and tweaked arrows .

      2:combat phases
      while building interest in combat archery is a good thing, it for the most, requires different equipment , and different skill sets than standard target archery . ( examples: how to draw an apd arrow, how not to hit your hand with the apd,how to compensate for shooting a brick down range,with only a 30# bow , while putting it on target, and finaly for those kingdoms with face only rules, how to use your weapons form with much more skill and accuracy than most knights )( wonder how many of them would quit if they could only hit opponents in the face?? )
      i am an authorized combat archery marshal , but can no longer even do that as my back has progressed to the point where i dont want to be carried off the field on a stretcher, or a shield , simply because i slipped and fell .
      the new " tradition " of including a combat / ikcac round in some high lvl shoots , and " requiring all participants to bring their own combat gear "
      ( helm, gorget , and gloves ) weather or not they are combat archers in order to compete , also " chases archers away. "
      i know from observation that there are many old knights and squires that dont fight anymore because they can't swing a stick as often or as long as they used to, so they sit around and cheer on their favorites, and go to circles, and drink and tell stories of how great they used to be , but they already have the armor and most of the skill sets to become really good combat archers , and show people how great they " are " not " were ."
      yet we never hear about trying to recruit them?? instead of adding to the already expensive game we all play.
      if people want to learn both skill sets , and can afford both sets of gear thats great !!
      but not everyone can afford it .

      3: periodness/ dropoffs
      ( yes you covered this already ; )
      while some gentles are blessed with a large pouch, and people that sew for them, i rarely do, ( thanx to you , i actually have 1 tunic that has archers sleeves ) , but don't have more period garb , even though i have the pattern in my head for what i would like to be wearing .and don't say " barter " because the people that would barter new arrows or new bow strings are the same people i'm teaching to make their own . and untill spring / summer i won't have more than book knowledge on making bows.
      anyway the point being , that experienced archers ( for the most part ) will slowly move towards more periodness as their skills and finances improve. but demanding they be period is just going to run them off to find a different group to shoot with.

      4:ikac
      in the northern region ikac's and ikcacs are normaly shot at practices , but this year weather and event schedules have really cut back on the available weekends , so participation has its ups and downs here, it may seem odd , but a lot of the places i've gone only have like 1/2 to 1 hour archery practices. then complain about other groups " long "shoots at events. it hasnt happened this year ,again do to health,weather, and events , but in years past we used to start archery practice at 2:30 and not stop till it was too dark to be safe. averaging 2 full adult ikac's a childrens ikac, 2 adult royal rounds, and a childs royal round , every practice.and 2 ikcac's would be run on the last sunday of the month .
      ( this was during the warm months , temps below 40 deg. f. tend to have us shoot a lot less ; )
      which has helped many northern archer win shoots , because they arent tired of shooting after 1/2 hour .

      ok , ill climb down off my soapbox now .
      ( thus ends this episode of leave it to blackmoon ; )

      be safe, be happy, have fun
      ld.arthur blackmoon , k.a.a.