Re: IKAC status?

  • logantheboweyder
    Message 1 of 48 , Nov 8, 2007
      York round is a 1800's era standardized shoot, which was the basis for
      today's FITA rounds. Targets were the 5 colored concentric rings
      targets, either 10 rings or 5 scored 9,7,5,3,1. Ends were 6 arrows
      per end, and a total of 144 arrows were shot. Distances were up to
      100 yards, and they were often shot on 2 butts, on each end of the
      archery field. Googling it or getting a book from the Library on
      archery should give a complete description.

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archery_at_the_1904_Summer_Olympics

      Logan

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, loreleiElkins@... wrote:

      > What exactly is the "York Round"
      >
      > Thanks!
      >
      > Lorelei

    • Siegfried
      Message 48 of 48 , Nov 10, 2007

        > The past couple of seasons the number of people shooting IKACs seems to
        > have declined. My take is that this is due to the scores not being
        > posted in a timely manner and the trend moving towards novelty shoots.

        I would propose another potential 'reason' for the dropoff. For I know it
        is mine:

        There is too much regular fun archery in my area, to worry about shooting
        IKAC's. Really, that about sums it up. Back when I used to shoot IKAC's
        and Winter Challenges really regularly ... well, there were only 3 events a
        year locally that even had archery. So you did whatever you could at
        practices.

        Now, there is an event every weekend with archery. So at practices we tend
        to just shoot a few royals to 'stay in shape' and then call it a day.

        (I might also bring up the standard 'Society is getting older, having kids,
        and having less time to do stuff' card as well)

        Siegfried