Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: IKAC status?

  • James Koch
    Message 1 of 48 , Nov 7, 2007
      At 05:03 PM 11/7/2007, you wrote:

      > > This would be a good point to redefine the IKAC by the society and
      > > kingdom archery leadership into something that can used as a tool to
      > > push archery forward.
      >
      >I cannot disagree more. The "interkingdom" in the name is only a
      >label, not a mandate. It was a privately-created shoot and should
      >stay that way. It has become a standard due to use, not mandate.
      >
      >--
      >THL Caedmon Wilson

      As far as I am concerned, Caedmon is 100% right on this one. If the
      SCA wants to create an official competition, that's fine by me, but
      it ought to be enough different from the IKAC so as not to steal its
      participants To do otherwise would be disrespectful.

      About a year ago we were having a discussion along these lines
      which eventually came to nothing. Then we were discussing target
      faces more correct for the SCA period than the 60cm concentric rings
      now in use. If the SCA is to have a new official competition, it
      ought to include a target which could easily have been used in the
      SCA period. I like the idea of the wreath, or something similarly
      documentable, even if a standardized target would not have been in
      use in our period of interest.

      Jim Koch (Gladius The Alchemist)
    • Siegfried
      Message 48 of 48 , Nov 10, 2007

        > The past couple of seasons the number of people shooting IKACs seems to
        > have declined. My take is that this is due to the scores not being
        > posted in a timely manner and the trend moving towards novelty shoots.

        I would propose another potential 'reason' for the dropoff. For I know it
        is mine:

        There is too much regular fun archery in my area, to worry about shooting
        IKAC's. Really, that about sums it up. Back when I used to shoot IKAC's
        and Winter Challenges really regularly ... well, there were only 3 events a
        year locally that even had archery. So you did whatever you could at
        practices.

        Now, there is an event every weekend with archery. So at practices we tend
        to just shoot a few royals to 'stay in shape' and then call it a day.

        (I might also bring up the standard 'Society is getting older, having kids,
        and having less time to do stuff' card as well)

        Siegfried