Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: IKAC status?

  • THL Caedmon Wilson
    Message 1 of 48 , Nov 7, 2007
      > My thought is that the IKAC out to be something like a clout at a
      > standardized distance (something between 100 to 150 yards), a full or
      > partial York and other kinds shoots. The IKAC also should have indoor
      > and outdoor components of the shoot and have the IKAC season start with
      > the indoor segment and end with the outdoor shoots.

      Instead of changing the IKAC to that extent, just establish a new
      contest, publish the rules and see who will shoot it. The IKAC has
      been around for a long time and has become a standard in part to that
      time.

      The York Round, though, is still technically outside SCA period.

      I tried the period target concept with the Unicorn Archery Challenges
      with the wreath, window and stump. I was interested to see if there
      would be any interest and there was, more so in the Wreath than the
      other targets. But, sometimes it takes someone ELSE to start a new
      contest, instead of changing the old contest.

      --
      THL Caedmon Wilson

      Oaken Region Youth Combat Marshal

      Leather Armor at Blacktower Enterprises
      http://www.paragonkeep.com/BTE.html
    • Siegfried
      Message 48 of 48 , Nov 10, 2007

        > The past couple of seasons the number of people shooting IKACs seems to
        > have declined. My take is that this is due to the scores not being
        > posted in a timely manner and the trend moving towards novelty shoots.

        I would propose another potential 'reason' for the dropoff. For I know it
        is mine:

        There is too much regular fun archery in my area, to worry about shooting
        IKAC's. Really, that about sums it up. Back when I used to shoot IKAC's
        and Winter Challenges really regularly ... well, there were only 3 events a
        year locally that even had archery. So you did whatever you could at
        practices.

        Now, there is an event every weekend with archery. So at practices we tend
        to just shoot a few royals to 'stay in shape' and then call it a day.

        (I might also bring up the standard 'Society is getting older, having kids,
        and having less time to do stuff' card as well)

        Siegfried