RE: [SCA-Archery] IKAC status?

  • Carolus
    Message 1 of 48 , Nov 7, 2007
      You all know my stand on promoting participation and learning over
      re-enactments authenticity. I, also, agree with Sir Jon that the
      IKAC could be a place where we could promote authentic equipment. We
      could, but I am not convinced we should. As long as we allow plastic
      armor and aluminum shields on the lists field I find imposing
      additional restrictions on a particular group inappropriate, even if
      we do it ourselves. Particularly when the when the combat community
      considers using pas type rules of barrier combat or counted blows
      sufficient to promote "period" combat.
      Carolus

      At 05:07 AM 11/7/2007, you wrote:

      >Good point Jon, a more period field would be great.but let me see a raise of
      >hands for those not wanting to give up their recurves.lol. I shoot with one
      >snip
      >Again, good point M'Lord.
      >
      >Domingos de Leon
      >
      >Arenal, Meridies

    • Siegfried
      Message 48 of 48 , Nov 10, 2007

        > The past couple of seasons the number of people shooting IKACs seems to
        > have declined. My take is that this is due to the scores not being
        > posted in a timely manner and the trend moving towards novelty shoots.

        I would propose another potential 'reason' for the dropoff. For I know it
        is mine:

        There is too much regular fun archery in my area, to worry about shooting
        IKAC's. Really, that about sums it up. Back when I used to shoot IKAC's
        and Winter Challenges really regularly ... well, there were only 3 events a
        year locally that even had archery. So you did whatever you could at
        practices.

        Now, there is an event every weekend with archery. So at practices we tend
        to just shoot a few royals to 'stay in shape' and then call it a day.

        (I might also bring up the standard 'Society is getting older, having kids,
        and having less time to do stuff' card as well)

        Siegfried