Finishing Hexshafts

  • Michael Nelson
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 29, 2007
      Has anyone worked on staining Hexshafts? I have dozen I purchased but I am
      unable to get a decent stain to take on them. I am using Minwax PolyShade
      (As suggested in "A Beginners Guide to Fletching" but almost nothing
      penetrates them. I have tried a couple of colors with the same results. No
      doubt I am doing something wrong, I just cannot figure out what it is.

      Mikael

    • Hal Snyder
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 29, 2007
        I have had sucess using leather dyes. I often do a two color shaft
        and use cresting to cover the edge where the dyes meet. Since they
        soak into the wood this line is always a bit ragged.

        Harald

        Azure, on a cross argent between four arrows in saltire points to
        center Or, a drawknife sable

        On Oct 29, 2007, at 6:51 PM, "Michael Nelson" <nelsomik@...>
        wrote:

        > Has anyone worked on staining Hexshafts? I have dozen I purchased
        > but I am
        > unable to get a decent stain to take on them. I am using Minwax
        > PolyShade
        > (As suggested in "A Beginners Guide to Fletching" but almost nothing
        > penetrates them. I have tried a couple of colors with the same
        > results. No
        > doubt I am doing something wrong, I just cannot figure out what it is.
        >
        > Mikael

      • RJ Bachner
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 30, 2007
          Heya

          I work with and sell hexshafts almost exclusively and they stain well if you
          do the right steps. Sometimes.

          Sand them first, the factory burnished finish prevents stain from taking.

          The kind of stain seems to make a huge difference. I went and found some
          water based wood stains that are more like a dye and they work beautifully.
          The brand name is "Saman" but they are a local manufacturer. The idea is to
          get the stain to soak in well not sit on the surface.

          Ragi

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 30, 2007
            I had a problem staining hex shafts at first too but when I went through and
            sanded the shafts the stain took nicely. Also did some with leather stain
            which I had no problem with. Good luck!

            Lady Lorelei

            In a message dated 10/30/2007 1:28:40 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
            nelsomik@... writes:

            Has anyone worked on staining Hexshafts? I have dozen I purchased but I am
            unable to get a decent stain to take on them. I am using Minwax PolyShade
            (As suggested in "A Beginners Guide to Fletching" but almost nothing
            penetrates them. I have tried a couple of colors with the same results. No
            doubt I am doing something wrong, I just cannot figure out what it is.

            Mikael

            Lorelei

          • Siegfried
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 30, 2007
              I've used Rit Dye set in Alcohol, and it worked well.

              Only catch was that a couple shafts that obviously weren't glued as well,
              had some separation of a lamination when I did this near one end. So I'd
              just suggest dipping 'quickly' ... don't let it soak. Also do this before
              cutting to length, in case you need to cut off one end afterwards.

              Siegfried

              On 10/29/07, Michael Nelson <nelsomik@...> wrote:

              > Has anyone worked on staining Hexshafts? I have dozen I purchased but I am
              > unable to get a decent stain to take on them. I am using Minwax PolyShade
              > (As suggested in "A Beginners Guide to Fletching" but almost nothing
              > penetrates them. I have tried a couple of colors with the same results. No
              > doubt I am doing something wrong, I just cannot figure out what it is.
              >

              > Mikael

              > --

            • Michael Nelson
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 30, 2007
                Sanding did the trick. They are looking good now. Thanks for the comments!