Re: [SCA-Archery] Sapling for a bow stave

  • carl.west@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 35 , Oct 19, 2007
      From: Carolus <eulenhorst@...>
      > maple is used for the core of many fine laminate bows. It should be
      > fine for a self bow but might be a little shocky.
      > Carolus

      Fritz rises again to the same old bait...

      It's not the wood, it's the tillering and/or the arrow weight that cause handshock.

      If the arrow isn't heavy enough, it leaves energy behind in the bow. That energy will find its way to the hand. The extreme case is loosing the string without any arrow at all.

      If the tillering is flawed it can cause the grip to tilt or twist on release. Heavier arrows won't help that.

      - Fritz
    • jameswolfden
      Message 35 of 35 , Oct 23, 2007
        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "logantheboweyder"
        <logantheboweyder@...> wrote:
        > If you want something more authentically period, base your
        > construction off of the construction of a osage orange bow in
        > approximately chapter 3 of V1 of the Bowyer's Bible. The ELB
        design
        > of the Yew bow in chapter 4??? will be a dissapointment except in,
        > as stated before, learning techniques.
        >
        > Logan

        I will point out that "ELB" yew bow by John Strunk in Volume 1 is
        not a true English Longbow at all. It is more of a cross between an
        American Flatbow and an English Longbow.

        But whether it is English Longbow, American Flatbow, transitional
        bow, or board bow, it looks more period than a takedown recurve.
        And you will enjoy the flights of your arrows even more with a bow
        you built yourself

        Tiller of ELB is pretty simple. Tiller of a flatbow is pretty simple
        too. As Nigel pointed out earlier, it's not difficult, it's just
        tedious.

        Your first bow will probably come out underweight or have too much
        stringfollow or have a hinge. I have built around a dozen bows and a
        whole lot of firewood but I still consider myself a rookie.

        Have fun, start shaving

        James