Re: [SCA-Archery] Sapling for a bow stave

  • Carolus
    Message 1 of 35 , Oct 19, 2007
      maple is used for the core of many fine laminate bows. It should be
      fine for a self bow but might be a little shocky.
      Carolus

      At 08:39 AM 10/19/2007, you wrote:

      >I want to try my hand at making a self bow myself from a sapling. I
      >have a maple growing in an awkward spot in the backyard that I should
      >have cut down a couple of years ago already that might do.
      >
      >Is maple a decent wood to use?
      >
      >What is the right time of year to cut the sapling?
      >
      >Thanks.
      >
      >~Geirr

    • jameswolfden
      Message 35 of 35 , Oct 23, 2007
        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "logantheboweyder"
        <logantheboweyder@...> wrote:
        > If you want something more authentically period, base your
        > construction off of the construction of a osage orange bow in
        > approximately chapter 3 of V1 of the Bowyer's Bible. The ELB
        design
        > of the Yew bow in chapter 4??? will be a dissapointment except in,
        > as stated before, learning techniques.
        >
        > Logan

        I will point out that "ELB" yew bow by John Strunk in Volume 1 is
        not a true English Longbow at all. It is more of a cross between an
        American Flatbow and an English Longbow.

        But whether it is English Longbow, American Flatbow, transitional
        bow, or board bow, it looks more period than a takedown recurve.
        And you will enjoy the flights of your arrows even more with a bow
        you built yourself

        Tiller of ELB is pretty simple. Tiller of a flatbow is pretty simple
        too. As Nigel pointed out earlier, it's not difficult, it's just
        tedious.

        Your first bow will probably come out underweight or have too much
        stringfollow or have a hinge. I have built around a dozen bows and a
        whole lot of firewood but I still consider myself a rookie.

        Have fun, start shaving

        James