Target Interest; tired of shooting at concentric circles?

  • Cian of Storvik
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 15, 2007
      I'm wondering if I can get an idea if there would be any interest in
      having historically appropriate, pre-printed, life-sized targets
      that you can pin-up or glue to card-board to use at events.

      I currently have a set of drawings at a local printer who is doing
      some life-size (3' wide x 6' tall) versions for novelty target
      practice and event use.
      You can see the conceptual rough sketches of 3 of them in Cian's
      Stuff folder in the photo section. So you can get an idea of what
      I'm talking about.

      Initially, these are going to be simply line-drawings (black ink on
      white paper) due to 1) keeping cost down so that they are economical
      since their whole purpose is to be shot to pieces and 2) so that
      they can be painted as the user see's fit. (Images can be painted
      with livery of adversary kingdoms/baronies or to represent
      individuals that they know.)

      Coloring them can be a good activity day. And since I am doing
      images in various modes of passive/active/hostile versions, some of
      the passive/posed individuals could possibly be used as cardboard
      stand-ups to use in event halls. Or can be glued to plywood for use
      as Combat Archery practice targets.

      I have (6) illustrations of various 14th century military figures
      (crossbowman, archer, knight, footman, coustilier, spearman) at the
      printer. Which I am thinking of expanding to about twenty (20) 14th
      century individuals, and then even further expanding it to different
      eras; e.g. a set of vikings, Normans, 13th cen, early crusaders, war
      of the roses, the clergy etc.

      I'm awaiting word back from the printer, but from previous dealings
      I'm guessing that cost will be around $8 per target (perhaps as
      little as $6.00/ea). And if you buy multiples, I can probably get a
      quantity discount. Targets will come with "how to assemble"
      instructions. And for a nominal fee, an assembly kit of pre-punched
      leather washers (to save arrow tips) and zip ties can be included so
      that all you need to additionally supply is foam/carboard from your
      office/or local hardware store. And no need to "invest" in a $7-$11
      can of spray glue (which can gum up your arrow shafts).

      email me if there is any interest in the 14th cen versions, the
      other eras or if you have any suggestions. As I mentioned, right now
      I'm just doing these in black & white form, as full-color versions
      would astronomically raise the production cost according to the
      printer.
      -Cian
    • James Koch
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 15, 2007
        At 12:18 AM 10/16/2007, you wrote:

        >I'm wondering if I can get an idea if there would be any interest in
        >having historically appropriate, pre-printed, life-sized targets
        >that you can pin-up or glue to card-board to use at events.
        A Saracen or Turk would be nice. A Mexica warrior would make a good
        SCA period crossbow target.

        Jim Koch (Gladius The Alchemist)
      • Laura
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 16, 2007
          Cian,
          I just looked at your scetches and, yes...if the finished prints are
          as nice as the sketches, I'd definitely want some. I can possibly
          spring for a set of all 6 if they don't go more than $8.00 each.
          If you can post sketches or pictures of the full 6 figures, I would
          like to see the whole set.
          If you're just trying to see if there's interest....I'm interested.
          If you are taking orders, I'd be willing to commit to an order as
          well.

          Laurens
          East Kingdom

          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Cian of Storvik"