Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: New to SCA, starter bow?

  • Harald Warrocker
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 10, 2007
      I would go to local practices and try a number of bows. I always have an
      assortment with me (generally at least!) and am always willing to let
      someone try a bow. I would recommend, as others have, that you get a
      laminated recurve. The Buckeye is a good beginning choice but you will soon
      exceed its capabilities (in my experience, I keep three on hand as loaner
      bows). My advice is to find your local group, try their bows, and pick the
      one you like best. Some generalities: A longer bow will be more stable,
      easier to shoot, and hence (on the average) more accurate. A shorter bow is
      generally more efficient. So... if you look at target bows you will see
      that they tend to tall risers (the center section of the bow) and short
      limbs (the laminated part). Hunting bows tend to a short riser. The
      efficiency of the bow is in the limb length so the target and the hunting
      bow will be equally efficient, but the target bow (that's why it IS a target
      bow) will tend to be more accurate. I would suggest a bow of 30 pounds (or
      less) pull at 28 inches as it will be easier to learn your skills at a
      lighter poundage and a heavier bow is not really an advantage unless you can
      control it, and are shooting at longer ranges. For information -- the most
      common bows on our line this year are Pearson Colts, Pintos, and Javelinas.
      None of these are made anymore but are common on eBay. I would recommend
      you have an experienced person check over any used bow you consider buying,
      and that you find someone who deals in such near where you live because
      buying on line can have its drawbacks!

      In Service
      Harald Warrocker
      Shire of Wyewood, An Tir

      --
      Azure, on a cross argent between four arrows in saltire points to center Or,
      a drawknife sable.

    • Antonio Morejon
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 10, 2007
        Join Medieval Swap Meet, I think I saw a youth bow kit with arrows and quiver that someone was selling for $40.00

        Gigi and Coey <triscandcoey@...> wrote: Hi, I am female and would like to get a good starter bow for target
        archery. Any advice on brand names and websites?

        -Gigi

        A.S.Morejon
        A.S.Morejon Multiple Services
        Money, Music & Enlightenment
        " We Do It All "

      • Ben Grant
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 11, 2007
          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Hobbe" <clanyoungvp@...> wrote:

          > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Gigi and Coey" <triscandcoey@>
          > wrote:
          > > Hi, I am female and would like to get a good starter bow for target
          > > archery. Any advice on brand names and websites?
          > > -Gigi
          > >
          > A common bow for many starting out in archery is the PSE Buckeye
          > recurve at 30 pounds. Avoid with a passion the Martin fiberglass bow,
          > most commonly seen in black.
          >
          > http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?
          > id=0004395416882a
          >
          > ~Hobbe

          The 30# PSE Buckeye is a very fine starter bow, it's what I learned to
          shoot on once I got tired of having a different loaner-bow each week.
          Got it at a Galyan's for $99 new 3 yrs ago. Seeing as how it is so
          common, you could probably buy one fairly cheap from someone who is
          looking to trade up. An added bonus of the Buckeye is that it is a
          take-down bow, you can disassemble it for compact packing.
          Good Luck!
          .....Ben