Re: New to SCA, starter bow?

  • logantheboweyder
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 10, 2007
      Most modern-made quality recurves (post 1950) are made with
      fiberglass laminations, (over a wood core) and this is likely what
      we are trying to point you to for a starter bow. An all-fiberglass
      bow is cheap, much less desirable to shoot, and generally is
      suitable only for children learning to shoot at summer camp and not
      shoot again untill they decide to take up archery for "real".

      Caveat: there is always the exception that proves the rule, but it
      is a pretty good rule. Horsebows come to mind, but I would think
      you would learn to shoot more easily with the Buckeye or knock-off.

      Logan

      <triscandcoey@>
      > wrote:
      > > Hi, I am female and would like to get a good starter bow for
      target
      > > archery. Any advice on brand names and websites?
      > > -Gigi
      > >
      > A common bow for many starting out in archery is the PSE Buckeye
      > recurve at 30 pounds. Avoid with a passion the Martin fiberglass
      bow,
      > most commonly seen in black.
      >
      > http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-
      item.jsp?
      > id=0004395416882a
      >
      > ~Hobbe

    • Harald Warrocker
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 10, 2007
        I would go to local practices and try a number of bows. I always have an
        assortment with me (generally at least!) and am always willing to let
        someone try a bow. I would recommend, as others have, that you get a
        laminated recurve. The Buckeye is a good beginning choice but you will soon
        exceed its capabilities (in my experience, I keep three on hand as loaner
        bows). My advice is to find your local group, try their bows, and pick the
        one you like best. Some generalities: A longer bow will be more stable,
        easier to shoot, and hence (on the average) more accurate. A shorter bow is
        generally more efficient. So... if you look at target bows you will see
        that they tend to tall risers (the center section of the bow) and short
        limbs (the laminated part). Hunting bows tend to a short riser. The
        efficiency of the bow is in the limb length so the target and the hunting
        bow will be equally efficient, but the target bow (that's why it IS a target
        bow) will tend to be more accurate. I would suggest a bow of 30 pounds (or
        less) pull at 28 inches as it will be easier to learn your skills at a
        lighter poundage and a heavier bow is not really an advantage unless you can
        control it, and are shooting at longer ranges. For information -- the most
        common bows on our line this year are Pearson Colts, Pintos, and Javelinas.
        None of these are made anymore but are common on eBay. I would recommend
        you have an experienced person check over any used bow you consider buying,
        and that you find someone who deals in such near where you live because
        buying on line can have its drawbacks!

        In Service
        Harald Warrocker
        Shire of Wyewood, An Tir

        --
        Azure, on a cross argent between four arrows in saltire points to center Or,
        a drawknife sable.

      • Antonio Morejon
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 10, 2007
          Join Medieval Swap Meet, I think I saw a youth bow kit with arrows and quiver that someone was selling for $40.00

          Gigi and Coey <triscandcoey@...> wrote: Hi, I am female and would like to get a good starter bow for target
          archery. Any advice on brand names and websites?

          -Gigi

          A.S.Morejon
          A.S.Morejon Multiple Services
          Money, Music & Enlightenment
          " We Do It All "

        • Ben Grant
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 11, 2007
            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Hobbe" <clanyoungvp@...> wrote:

            > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Gigi and Coey" <triscandcoey@>
            > wrote:
            > > Hi, I am female and would like to get a good starter bow for target
            > > archery. Any advice on brand names and websites?
            > > -Gigi
            > >
            > A common bow for many starting out in archery is the PSE Buckeye
            > recurve at 30 pounds. Avoid with a passion the Martin fiberglass bow,
            > most commonly seen in black.
            >
            > http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?
            > id=0004395416882a
            >
            > ~Hobbe

            The 30# PSE Buckeye is a very fine starter bow, it's what I learned to
            shoot on once I got tired of having a different loaner-bow each week.
            Got it at a Galyan's for $99 new 3 yrs ago. Seeing as how it is so
            common, you could probably buy one fairly cheap from someone who is
            looking to trade up. An added bonus of the Buckeye is that it is a
            take-down bow, you can disassemble it for compact packing.
            Good Luck!
            .....Ben