RE: [SCA-Archery] New to SCA, starter bow?

  • Bill Brown
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 9, 2007
      Hello Gigi,

      At first I was going to respond with an eloquent essay on choosing the right
      bow for you bu alas I may have nearly missed the timber in my own eye,
      sooooo, my advise to you is to find as many archers as you can and let them
      know you are new and you haven't a clue on what type of bow you want and it
      would be a fair guess that many o men and ladies alike would stumble over
      one another to lend assistance, we, that the SCA archery community, tend to
      be that way. Ask a lot of questions and by all means don't jump at a "good
      deal" just yet. Once you find your bow preference, you will know it and then
      you should ask, where can I get such a bow? Just my two shillings worth
      milady.

      Domingos

      _____

      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 9, 2007
        I strongly recommend going to the nearest archery practice and trying out whatever loaner equipment is available, or at least ask if you can draw someone's bow to check if the weight is good. After that, I ***highly*** recommend buying your gear from an SCA merchant, someone who will be able to help you with period gear and will take good care of you. Someone other than me, unfortunately, as I am not taking any new orders.

        Morgan Blaidd Du,
        mka Morgan Wolf
        Damn Vicar Archery and Stuff

        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 9, 2007
          Gigi,

          Depending on the poundage and style I have several to choose from. Do you
          want to keep cost down by starting with a fiberglass bow or you want
          a ffiberglass wood laminate recurve or an all wood longbow or perhaps
          something like a horsebow.

          Rask Ulfbjorn,
          Viking Archery Supply.

          At 10:19 AM 10/9/07, you wrote:

          >Hi, I am female and would like to get a good starter bow for target
          >archery. Any advice on brand names and websites?
          >
          >-Gigi

        • logantheboweyder
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 10, 2007
            I'm at work and am web-filtered for weapons, so I cannot provide a
            link... a good starter bow can be found by googling Buckeye PSE. Of
            course, the advise to go to practice or an event and see what is being
            shot, asking questions, etc... is always preferable.

            Logan

            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Gigi and Coey" <triscandcoey@...>
            wrote:

            > Hi, I am female and would like to get a good starter bow for target
            > archery. Any advice on brand names and websites?
            >
            > -Gigi

          • Hobbe
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 10, 2007
              wrote:
              > Hi, I am female and would like to get a good starter bow for target
              > archery. Any advice on brand names and websites?
              > -Gigi

              A common bow for many starting out in archery is the PSE Buckeye
              recurve at 30 pounds. Avoid with a passion the Martin fiberglass bow,
              most commonly seen in black.

              http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?
              id=0004395416882a

              ~Hobbe
            • logantheboweyder
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 10, 2007
                Most modern-made quality recurves (post 1950) are made with
                fiberglass laminations, (over a wood core) and this is likely what
                we are trying to point you to for a starter bow. An all-fiberglass
                bow is cheap, much less desirable to shoot, and generally is
                suitable only for children learning to shoot at summer camp and not
                shoot again untill they decide to take up archery for "real".

                Caveat: there is always the exception that proves the rule, but it
                is a pretty good rule. Horsebows come to mind, but I would think
                you would learn to shoot more easily with the Buckeye or knock-off.

                Logan

                --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Hobbe" <clanyoungvp@...> wrote:

                > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Gigi and Coey"
                <triscandcoey@>
                > wrote:
                > > Hi, I am female and would like to get a good starter bow for
                target
                > > archery. Any advice on brand names and websites?
                > > -Gigi
                > >
                > A common bow for many starting out in archery is the PSE Buckeye
                > recurve at 30 pounds. Avoid with a passion the Martin fiberglass
                bow,
                > most commonly seen in black.
                >
                > http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-
                item.jsp?
                > id=0004395416882a
                >
                > ~Hobbe

              • Harald Warrocker
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 10, 2007
                  I would go to local practices and try a number of bows. I always have an
                  assortment with me (generally at least!) and am always willing to let
                  someone try a bow. I would recommend, as others have, that you get a
                  laminated recurve. The Buckeye is a good beginning choice but you will soon
                  exceed its capabilities (in my experience, I keep three on hand as loaner
                  bows). My advice is to find your local group, try their bows, and pick the
                  one you like best. Some generalities: A longer bow will be more stable,
                  easier to shoot, and hence (on the average) more accurate. A shorter bow is
                  generally more efficient. So... if you look at target bows you will see
                  that they tend to tall risers (the center section of the bow) and short
                  limbs (the laminated part). Hunting bows tend to a short riser. The
                  efficiency of the bow is in the limb length so the target and the hunting
                  bow will be equally efficient, but the target bow (that's why it IS a target
                  bow) will tend to be more accurate. I would suggest a bow of 30 pounds (or
                  less) pull at 28 inches as it will be easier to learn your skills at a
                  lighter poundage and a heavier bow is not really an advantage unless you can
                  control it, and are shooting at longer ranges. For information -- the most
                  common bows on our line this year are Pearson Colts, Pintos, and Javelinas.
                  None of these are made anymore but are common on eBay. I would recommend
                  you have an experienced person check over any used bow you consider buying,
                  and that you find someone who deals in such near where you live because
                  buying on line can have its drawbacks!

                  In Service
                  Harald Warrocker
                  Shire of Wyewood, An Tir

                  --
                  Azure, on a cross argent between four arrows in saltire points to center Or,
                  a drawknife sable.

                • Antonio Morejon
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 10, 2007
                    Join Medieval Swap Meet, I think I saw a youth bow kit with arrows and quiver that someone was selling for $40.00

                    Gigi and Coey <triscandcoey@...> wrote: Hi, I am female and would like to get a good starter bow for target
                    archery. Any advice on brand names and websites?

                    -Gigi

                    A.S.Morejon
                    A.S.Morejon Multiple Services
                    Money, Music & Enlightenment
                    " We Do It All "

                  • Ben Grant
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 11, 2007
                      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Hobbe" <clanyoungvp@...> wrote:

                      > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Gigi and Coey" <triscandcoey@>
                      > wrote:
                      > > Hi, I am female and would like to get a good starter bow for target
                      > > archery. Any advice on brand names and websites?
                      > > -Gigi
                      > >
                      > A common bow for many starting out in archery is the PSE Buckeye
                      > recurve at 30 pounds. Avoid with a passion the Martin fiberglass bow,
                      > most commonly seen in black.
                      >
                      > http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?
                      > id=0004395416882a
                      >
                      > ~Hobbe

                      The 30# PSE Buckeye is a very fine starter bow, it's what I learned to
                      shoot on once I got tired of having a different loaner-bow each week.
                      Got it at a Galyan's for $99 new 3 yrs ago. Seeing as how it is so
                      common, you could probably buy one fairly cheap from someone who is
                      looking to trade up. An added bonus of the Buckeye is that it is a
                      take-down bow, you can disassemble it for compact packing.
                      Good Luck!
                      .....Ben