Re: [SCA-Archery] Fw: Now available: "Traditional Archery from Six Continents...

  • atruemark@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 8, 2007
      In 2005 I had the pleasure, along with my apprentice, of touring the Grayson
      Collection at the Museum. Karin arranged the trip, using her University
      position, as she was doing arrow whistle research; I was indulging my geek. We
      were allowed to spend as much time as we wished with the materials in the
      storage area that were either not cataloged or without enough display space.
      For every item on display in the Museum there were twenty in the store rooms.
      Rack after three-tiered rack of bows, arrows, quivers, strings...from
      seemingly every culture worldwide. There were pieces that I had seen featured in
      well-known archery books and many, many examples at least as nice that have yet
      to be shown to the public. Wearing gloves I was allowed to handle any piece
      I chose, although, obviously, not to draw the bows. I can report that I was
      astounded, amazed, delighted and over-whelmed by the sheer quantity of
      material Dr. Grayson had collected over the years.

      Indeed, if you have the opportunity, you owe it to your inner archery geek
      to stop at the Museum on the campus of the University of Missouri in Columbus.
      Make sure you contact the staff in advance to make arrangements for your
      visit.

      Oh, and we had the chance to meet Dr. Grayson afterwords, which I understood
      to be a rare happening. He is a charming gentleman (ask Karin) who despite
      his recent health struggles is still enthused about archery and willing to
      share his many wonderful stories with anyone who desires to listen.

      Andras