Re: [SCA-Archery] help! arrow problems!

  • Robert Maddison
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 6, 2007
      I am no expert on arrow making, but I am on wood finishing,been my job for
      25 years.Adhesion problems are always some kind of contamination issue.if is
      just the fletch lac thats not taking overcoating then its probably gotten
      contaminated,and a fresh supply should solve the problem.If its the wood
      itself thats rejecting then there is something in the wood
      itself.youmentioned floods,and I assume major clean up
      afterwards.Did you use cleaners like armor all or spray polishes during the
      clean up.If you did some may have come in contact with the shafts,either
      mist in the air or on hands if you handled the shafts, it may even be on the
      sandpaper.Most of these cleaners contain silicone, and the only thing that
      sticks to silicone is more silicone,and it penetrates bare wood so deeply it
      cant be removed.If this is what happened then I am afraid the shafts are
      ruined.If its the fletch lac thats the culprit,make sure you remove all
      trace of it from the shafte before you redip them ot oit will transfer the
      contaminant to the fresh supply.I wish you luck in this.
      Llywyllyn