made my first quiver

  • Oakes, George
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 17, 2007
      Greetings group,

      Well, I was heading to the archery range the other morning, and realized
      that I did not have an Arrow quiver. I had everything else, Bow, arrows,
      glove, arm guard, targets... but no quiver.

      Hmm think fast, I have some green linen from an old curtain I had
      stuffed into my "could be made into garb" tubby. and having once had a
      belt quiver, I decided to fashion a quick easy cloth quiver from some of
      the fabric.

      I cut up the fabric in to a long rectangle, folded it in half, put in
      some fabric where the belt loop and quiver supports would go, and fired
      up the ol'e, almost never used sewing machine. And after some trial an
      error was able to create a seam without fouling up the bobbin, and
      getting a birds nest.

      I had already pinned up the fabric, set it under the pressure foot, and
      began slowly, then as I got the seam going, I went faster, till I was
      removing needles, and sewing like an amateur ! Yeah me....

      Cut the strings, flipped it right side out to hide the seams, and it
      looked like a quiver. I stuck a hand full of arrows in it, put it on my
      belt and I felt all medieval inside. I think Robin Hood would have been
      proud, had he been a real person (lets not debate that subject, just let
      it die).

      Got on my garb, grabbed my bow and headed out to the range.
      It was a bright sunny morning, and HOT, here in the Tampa Florida area.
      I set up the targets, put on the quiver, and nocked an arrow. Pulled
      back the bowstring, and released.
      The arrow hit the side of the target, and went flying off into the woods
      :(

      Oh well the quiver worked as I had hoped, and after some more tries I
      was back shooting the bulls eye again.

      Peace all......

      I want to make my next quiver from leather.... but that is for another
      day, and another group.

      Peace
      Gavin Kinkade

    • bennett.redstone
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 17, 2007
        Gavin--

        If you're interested in getting started in leather work, might I
        suggest contacting the Trimarian Leather Workers' Guild?

        The head of the group is Ki, he can be reached at (and I will caveat
        this by saying that I have the address from a fairly old card, but
        it should work):

        kiohazard@...

        If you're in the Tampa area, the Barony of Marcaster (not sure of
        the counties, it's just north of Tampa proper) holds regular archery
        practices. Contact Honorable Lord Richard of Marcaster for more
        details.

        --Bennett

        > I want to make my next quiver from leather.... but that is for
        another
        > day, and another group.
        >
        > Peace
        > Gavin Kinkade

      • Oakes, George
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 17, 2007
          Bennett,

          Thanks for the info, did not know that Trimaris had a leather workers
          guild. I will look into that more.

          I have been in contact with Lord Richard, and I am planning on attending
          the next Archery practice, which is set for Sept 30, a Sunday, at Camp
          Soule, from 10am to 1pm

          Thanks for the tip

          Gavin

          kiohazard@... <mailto:kiohazard%40hotmail.com>