Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: archery illustrations: Shooting Technique???

  • Siegfried
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 5, 2007
      Having studied more period illustrations of crossbows than I care to admit

      It's the 'medieval perspective' ... Crossbows were almost always drawn with
      the prod shown as if from a top view ... and often with a trigger coming off
      downwards, or to the side, in a way that would be impossible.

      It was simply the medieval artists way of making sure you knew it was a
      crossbow. The concept of drawing things exact to a perspective, didn't
      arrive until much later.

      Same goes for the way the guy is holding it ... both hands behind the string
      ... that way his arms don't hide the crossbow string.

      Siegfried

      On 9/5/07, logantheboweyder <logantheboweyder@...> wrote:

      > Looking at the first illustration from the Maj. Bible:
      > http://www1.tip.nl/~t401243/mac/mac10rA.jpg
      >
      > Any thoughts as to the shooting style on that crossbow? Holding it
      > behind the nut, holding the bow part oriented vertically, or the
      > behind-the-head release? For an archery tradition culture, the
      > vertical oriented bow, especially in a castle defense situation where
      > you want your archers lined up close together, that seems plausible,
      > but I have my questions as to artistic license/ignorance with the
      > other two parts.
      >
      > Logan
      >
      > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, John edgerton <sirjon1@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Here is a web site with some period archery illustrations.
      > >
      > > http://www.larsdatter.com/archers.htm
      > >
      > > Jon
      > >

      > --

    • John and Carol Atkins
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 5, 2007
        Looking at the picture I would agree with the idea of artistic
        impression. I have seen many hand bow pictures where the archer
        was "crossed up". That is to say the leading foot was the wrong
        foot. To shoot in this manner one would have to stand "normal", right
        hand shooter with left foot forward, then twist completely around and
        fire backwards. While Byron Ferguson does this, I just don't see the
        advantage of this technique in war. Artistic impression of an artist
        who has never shot anything more than a paint brush. Or then, as my
        lady is an illuminist, perhaps they just tipped their lead based paint
        brushes a time or two too much!

        cog
      • Ko
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 7, 2007
          Hope she's not reading this or you may find some lead based paint in
          your soup.

          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "John and Carol Atkins"