Re: archery illustrations: Shooting Technique???

  • Ko
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 5, 2007
      I also seriously doubt any of these scribes knew which end of the bow
      was up. They would have just drawn what the bow looked like but now how
      to shoot them.
    • Siegfried
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 5, 2007
        Having studied more period illustrations of crossbows than I care to admit

        It's the 'medieval perspective' ... Crossbows were almost always drawn with
        the prod shown as if from a top view ... and often with a trigger coming off
        downwards, or to the side, in a way that would be impossible.

        It was simply the medieval artists way of making sure you knew it was a
        crossbow. The concept of drawing things exact to a perspective, didn't
        arrive until much later.

        Same goes for the way the guy is holding it ... both hands behind the string
        ... that way his arms don't hide the crossbow string.

        Siegfried

        On 9/5/07, logantheboweyder <logantheboweyder@...> wrote:

        > Looking at the first illustration from the Maj. Bible:
        > http://www1.tip.nl/~t401243/mac/mac10rA.jpg
        >
        > Any thoughts as to the shooting style on that crossbow? Holding it
        > behind the nut, holding the bow part oriented vertically, or the
        > behind-the-head release? For an archery tradition culture, the
        > vertical oriented bow, especially in a castle defense situation where
        > you want your archers lined up close together, that seems plausible,
        > but I have my questions as to artistic license/ignorance with the
        > other two parts.
        >
        > Logan
        >
        > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, John edgerton <sirjon1@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Here is a web site with some period archery illustrations.
        > >
        > > http://www.larsdatter.com/archers.htm
        > >
        > > Jon
        > >

        > --

      • John and Carol Atkins
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 5, 2007
          Looking at the picture I would agree with the idea of artistic
          impression. I have seen many hand bow pictures where the archer
          was "crossed up". That is to say the leading foot was the wrong
          foot. To shoot in this manner one would have to stand "normal", right
          hand shooter with left foot forward, then twist completely around and
          fire backwards. While Byron Ferguson does this, I just don't see the
          advantage of this technique in war. Artistic impression of an artist
          who has never shot anything more than a paint brush. Or then, as my
          lady is an illuminist, perhaps they just tipped their lead based paint
          brushes a time or two too much!

          cog
        • Ko
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 7, 2007
            Hope she's not reading this or you may find some lead based paint in
            your soup.

            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "John and Carol Atkins"