Re: archery illustrations: Shooting Technique???

  • logantheboweyder
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 5, 2007
      Looking at the first illustration from the Maj. Bible:
      http://www1.tip.nl/~t401243/mac/mac10rA.jpg

      Any thoughts as to the shooting style on that crossbow? Holding it
      behind the nut, holding the bow part oriented vertically, or the
      behind-the-head release? For an archery tradition culture, the
      vertical oriented bow, especially in a castle defense situation where
      you want your archers lined up close together, that seems plausible,
      but I have my questions as to artistic license/ignorance with the
      other two parts.

      Logan

    • caleb@buffnet.net
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 5, 2007
        > Looking at the first illustration from the Maj. Bible:
        > http://www1.tip.nl/~t401243/mac/mac10rA.jpg
        >
        > Any thoughts as to the shooting style on that crossbow? Holding it
        > behind the nut, holding the bow part oriented vertically, or the
        > behind-the-head release? For an archery tradition culture, the
        > vertical oriented bow, especially in a castle defense situation where
        > you want your archers lined up close together, that seems plausible,
        > but I have my questions as to artistic license/ignorance with the other
        > two parts.
        >
        > Logan

        I think it's a case of artistic perspective.

        Caleb Reynolds
      • Jeff Morton
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 5, 2007
          Note also that all figures are roughly the same size regardless of
          distance, and all objects are shown in their classic profile. Axes,
          swords, daggers, and flags are all shown with their classic profiles
          as though they were diagrams in a book. The artist was clearly
          depicting an event without a lot of perspective or realism. Drawing
          the crossbow that way clearly shows it is a crossbow without showing
          you how the archer was actually using it. I'd say the archer was
          placed there because the archer wanted to depict archers on the tower
          shooting with crossbows, but not saying any more than that.

          On 9/5/07, logantheboweyder <logantheboweyder@...> wrote:
          > Looking at the first illustration from the Maj. Bible:
          > http://www1.tip.nl/~t401243/mac/mac10rA.jpg
          >
          > Any thoughts as to the shooting style on that crossbow? Holding it
          > behind the nut, holding the bow part oriented vertically, or the
          > behind-the-head release? For an archery tradition culture, the
          > vertical oriented bow, especially in a castle defense situation where
          > you want your archers lined up close together, that seems plausible,
          > but I have my questions as to artistic license/ignorance with the
          > other two parts.
          >
          > Logan
        • Ko
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 5, 2007
            I also seriously doubt any of these scribes knew which end of the bow
            was up. They would have just drawn what the bow looked like but now how
            to shoot them.
          • Siegfried
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 5, 2007
              Having studied more period illustrations of crossbows than I care to admit

              It's the 'medieval perspective' ... Crossbows were almost always drawn with
              the prod shown as if from a top view ... and often with a trigger coming off
              downwards, or to the side, in a way that would be impossible.

              It was simply the medieval artists way of making sure you knew it was a
              crossbow. The concept of drawing things exact to a perspective, didn't
              arrive until much later.

              Same goes for the way the guy is holding it ... both hands behind the string
              ... that way his arms don't hide the crossbow string.

              Siegfried

              On 9/5/07, logantheboweyder <logantheboweyder@...> wrote:

              > Looking at the first illustration from the Maj. Bible:
              > http://www1.tip.nl/~t401243/mac/mac10rA.jpg
              >
              > Any thoughts as to the shooting style on that crossbow? Holding it
              > behind the nut, holding the bow part oriented vertically, or the
              > behind-the-head release? For an archery tradition culture, the
              > vertical oriented bow, especially in a castle defense situation where
              > you want your archers lined up close together, that seems plausible,
              > but I have my questions as to artistic license/ignorance with the
              > other two parts.
              >
              > Logan
              >
              > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, John edgerton <sirjon1@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Here is a web site with some period archery illustrations.
              > >
              > > http://www.larsdatter.com/archers.htm
              > >
              > > Jon
              > >

              > --

            • John and Carol Atkins
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 5, 2007
                Looking at the picture I would agree with the idea of artistic
                impression. I have seen many hand bow pictures where the archer
                was "crossed up". That is to say the leading foot was the wrong
                foot. To shoot in this manner one would have to stand "normal", right
                hand shooter with left foot forward, then twist completely around and
                fire backwards. While Byron Ferguson does this, I just don't see the
                advantage of this technique in war. Artistic impression of an artist
                who has never shot anything more than a paint brush. Or then, as my
                lady is an illuminist, perhaps they just tipped their lead based paint
                brushes a time or two too much!

                cog
              • Ko
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 7, 2007
                  Hope she's not reading this or you may find some lead based paint in
                  your soup.

                  --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "John and Carol Atkins"