Request for pictures/documentation

  • John and Carol Atkins
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 4, 2007
      At the risk of starting a fire storm on this list (NOT my intent),
      does anyone have either pictures or documentation for Medieval
      crossbows with rifle stocks. Every crossbow from period I have seen
      including those in the armor museum in Vienna Austria have a straight
      stock. Any help?

      cog
    • Siegfried
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 4, 2007
        Well, the answer there is: Can't give you one, because there isn't any.

        in 16th century, you start seeing a few styles with the butt end starting to
        be 'swooped' a little bit to conform/contour to the archer a bit better.

        It's not until the 17th century, that you start to see a few things that
        'might' be mistake for a rifle stock ... though in honesty they are kind of
        an in-between breed of 'medieval crossbow stock' and 'modern rifle stock'.

        It's not until 18th century or later, that things that someone would look at
        and go: "Oooh, Rifle" really start appearing.

        Siegfried

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 4, 2007
          Cog,

          Please define "medieval".

          Jim Koch (Gladius The Alchemist)

          >At 07:36 AM 9/4/2007, you wrote:

          >At the risk of starting a fire storm on this list (NOT my intent),
          >does anyone have either pictures or documentation for Medieval
          >crossbows with rifle stocks. Every crossbow from period I have seen
          >including those in the armor museum in Vienna Austria have a straight
          >stock. Any help?
          >
          >cog

        • John and Carol Atkins
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 5, 2007
            Sorry, I was being very SCA-centric in my thoughts. Basically I mean
            pre - 17th century., The period that the SCA is supposed to
            recreating.

            cog