archery illustrations

  • John edgerton
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 31 8:46 PM
      Here is a web site with some period archery illustrations.

      http://www.larsdatter.com/archers.htm

      Jon
    • Robert Maddison
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 3, 2007
        Just got a chance to look at the illustartions,,and unless they had really
        odd bows that needed a ramrod to cock them,( fellow in the lower right
        corner) those are muskets in the Archery festival at gallen

        On 8/31/07, John edgerton <sirjon1@...> wrote:

        > Here is a web site with some period archery illustrations.
        >
        > http://www.larsdatter.com/archers.htm
        >
        > Jon

      • Jeff Morton
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 4, 2007
          I'd agree with that. Especially since the name translates to
          "Shooting Festival", which could be archery or firearms. As for the
          person holding a target, I'd say he's pointing to it with a stick to
          count out someone's points.

          Otherwise, though... that looks just like an outdoor SCA event, eh?

          On 9/3/07, Robert Maddison <llywylyn@...> wrote:
          > Just got a chance to look at the illustartions,,and unless they had really
          > odd bows that needed a ramrod to cock them,( fellow in the lower right
          > corner) those are muskets in the Archery festival at gallen
          >
          > On 8/31/07, John edgerton <sirjon1@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Here is a web site with some period archery illustrations.
          > >
          > > http://www.larsdatter.com/archers.htm
          > >
          > > Jon
        • logantheboweyder
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 5, 2007
            Looking at the first illustration from the Maj. Bible:
            http://www1.tip.nl/~t401243/mac/mac10rA.jpg

            Any thoughts as to the shooting style on that crossbow? Holding it
            behind the nut, holding the bow part oriented vertically, or the
            behind-the-head release? For an archery tradition culture, the
            vertical oriented bow, especially in a castle defense situation where
            you want your archers lined up close together, that seems plausible,
            but I have my questions as to artistic license/ignorance with the
            other two parts.

            Logan

          • caleb@buffnet.net
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 5, 2007
              > Looking at the first illustration from the Maj. Bible:
              > http://www1.tip.nl/~t401243/mac/mac10rA.jpg
              >
              > Any thoughts as to the shooting style on that crossbow? Holding it
              > behind the nut, holding the bow part oriented vertically, or the
              > behind-the-head release? For an archery tradition culture, the
              > vertical oriented bow, especially in a castle defense situation where
              > you want your archers lined up close together, that seems plausible,
              > but I have my questions as to artistic license/ignorance with the other
              > two parts.
              >
              > Logan

              I think it's a case of artistic perspective.

              Caleb Reynolds
            • Jeff Morton
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 5, 2007
                Note also that all figures are roughly the same size regardless of
                distance, and all objects are shown in their classic profile. Axes,
                swords, daggers, and flags are all shown with their classic profiles
                as though they were diagrams in a book. The artist was clearly
                depicting an event without a lot of perspective or realism. Drawing
                the crossbow that way clearly shows it is a crossbow without showing
                you how the archer was actually using it. I'd say the archer was
                placed there because the archer wanted to depict archers on the tower
                shooting with crossbows, but not saying any more than that.

                On 9/5/07, logantheboweyder <logantheboweyder@...> wrote:
                > Looking at the first illustration from the Maj. Bible:
                > http://www1.tip.nl/~t401243/mac/mac10rA.jpg
                >
                > Any thoughts as to the shooting style on that crossbow? Holding it
                > behind the nut, holding the bow part oriented vertically, or the
                > behind-the-head release? For an archery tradition culture, the
                > vertical oriented bow, especially in a castle defense situation where
                > you want your archers lined up close together, that seems plausible,
                > but I have my questions as to artistic license/ignorance with the
                > other two parts.
                >
                > Logan
              • Ko
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 5, 2007
                  I also seriously doubt any of these scribes knew which end of the bow
                  was up. They would have just drawn what the bow looked like but now how
                  to shoot them.
                • Siegfried
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 5, 2007
                    Having studied more period illustrations of crossbows than I care to admit

                    It's the 'medieval perspective' ... Crossbows were almost always drawn with
                    the prod shown as if from a top view ... and often with a trigger coming off
                    downwards, or to the side, in a way that would be impossible.

                    It was simply the medieval artists way of making sure you knew it was a
                    crossbow. The concept of drawing things exact to a perspective, didn't
                    arrive until much later.

                    Same goes for the way the guy is holding it ... both hands behind the string
                    ... that way his arms don't hide the crossbow string.

                    Siegfried

                    On 9/5/07, logantheboweyder <logantheboweyder@...> wrote:

                    > Looking at the first illustration from the Maj. Bible:
                    > http://www1.tip.nl/~t401243/mac/mac10rA.jpg
                    >
                    > Any thoughts as to the shooting style on that crossbow? Holding it
                    > behind the nut, holding the bow part oriented vertically, or the
                    > behind-the-head release? For an archery tradition culture, the
                    > vertical oriented bow, especially in a castle defense situation where
                    > you want your archers lined up close together, that seems plausible,
                    > but I have my questions as to artistic license/ignorance with the
                    > other two parts.
                    >
                    > Logan
                    >
                    > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, John edgerton <sirjon1@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Here is a web site with some period archery illustrations.
                    > >
                    > > http://www.larsdatter.com/archers.htm
                    > >
                    > > Jon
                    > >

                    > --

                  • John and Carol Atkins
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 5, 2007
                      Looking at the picture I would agree with the idea of artistic
                      impression. I have seen many hand bow pictures where the archer
                      was "crossed up". That is to say the leading foot was the wrong
                      foot. To shoot in this manner one would have to stand "normal", right
                      hand shooter with left foot forward, then twist completely around and
                      fire backwards. While Byron Ferguson does this, I just don't see the
                      advantage of this technique in war. Artistic impression of an artist
                      who has never shot anything more than a paint brush. Or then, as my
                      lady is an illuminist, perhaps they just tipped their lead based paint
                      brushes a time or two too much!

                      cog
                    • Ko
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 7, 2007
                        Hope she's not reading this or you may find some lead based paint in
                        your soup.

                        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "John and Carol Atkins"