Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Good arrows and bows.... and strings....

  • morgan wolf
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 15, 2007
      Holy ##$%#^*! We actually came to an agreement in an email discussion, we should forward this to the Sagittarii List, and also print and frame it!

      :-D

      Morgan Blaidd Du,
      mka Morgan Wolf
      Damn Vicar Archery and Stuff
      www.damnvicar.com
      damnvicar@...

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 15, 2007
        Yes, I do agree that there is a certain amount of shock always present. I guess
        with further discussion, brings out more variables that we have a different
        recesses of the logic mind.

        I also, 'listen' to the bow. When shooting with the Vectran/Spectra mix string,
        my bow was very quiet - to the point of other people making comment about just
        how quiet it was. I guess I didn't realize just how big the impact would be in
        changing string material - but upon thinking about the physics of it, it makes
        perfect sense.

        The bow this is about, is a horn tipped, hickory backed yew of 62#. 72" nock to nock.

        And I think we're saying basically the same thing. Conversations like this are
        good - they make you think, and also mull over what you believe to be true.

        Godwin

        >>I'm a staunch believer in this: "no handshock = matched equipment"
        >

        >But, as I see it, you've made my point, in stating that it is the difference in
        string material that makes the difference in handshock. Changing string material
        to FastFlight Plus(tm) or TS-1 (tm) absolutely does increase limb speed and
        limbshock, to the point that retailers of those string materials have a "check
        with manufacturer" disclaimer, since the string can cause limbs, especially
        un-reinforced tips, to crack or outright break because of the increased speed and
        shock in a more condensed area of the bow (smaller diameter string, which these
        are, = less surface contact, = more strain on contact surfaces). The shock
        you're getting now has alwasy been there, it is just carrying further down the
        bow because of the different string, the smaller string created higher speeds and
        focused the shock more in your tips and limbs, making what little actually
        reaches the grip area negligible. Were you to go to an even thicker string, such
        as hemp or linen,

        > you would probably have yet more shock making it all the way to your hand.
        Thus, I reiterate, by choosing specific materials one reduces or increases the
        amount of shock reaching the hand, but the shock is always there at some level.
        I do apologize for not making note in my previous post that string material, as
        well as bow style and construction material, plays a large part in how much shock
        actually reaches the hand.

        >Perhaps we can both agree that the shock itself is always present, but that by
        tuning your equipment, *including your string*, one can drastically reduce the
        amount of shock that is felt *in the hand*?