RE: [SCA-Archery] Making Period Arrows for Target Toruneys

  • Bill Brown
    Message 1 of 26 , Aug 8, 2007
      I guess first point to make is these arrows are not round.exactly. I mean
      they are not machine cut so there is, if you look close, a slight octagon
      shape. In fact you can add spine weight to your arrows by not "rounding"
      them as much, leaving a very slight octagonal shape to them. This can only
      be seen if you look close. In period I would bet, yet I have found no
      research for it yet, that many of the thick, mass produced arrows were
      little more then roughed out shafts sanded to prevent splinters. These
      follow the same basic creation just a little more refined. It is pretty easy
      even with hand tools to split a nice straight 3' log into many usable
      squared dowels.(one of my next projects, arrows from a log.hee hee).

      Message 2 of 26 , Aug 8, 2007
        If your going to go with pre cut square stock you will end up with a poor
        selection of arrows, You almost must saw down your own because the arrows
        you will build need to come from the same cut of board to have the same
        basic grain pattern. This is why a dozen of my arrows will have the same
        warping characteristics as each other. (all arrows warp) Not to mention you
        will be paying as much as you would in the end as factory made shafts. If
        you cant cut your own find someone you can direct what you want cut.

        Fletching, Three Rivers Archery www.threeriversarchery.com , I know there
        are better bargains but I have never dealt with a finer company and to save
        a few dimes I never will.

        How to books etc.same place

        My Lady I hope this helps some,

        In Service,

        Domingos de Leon

        Message 3 of 26 , Aug 9, 2007
          A spoke shave or draw knife (or sandpaper) will round them out
          pretty easily.

          My 2 cents,
          Logan

          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Brown" <stickbow@...>