Re: Making Period Arrows for Target Toruneys

  • ladyscribe07
    Message 1 of 26 , Aug 6 9:54 AM
      I would be interested in making my own too, I am a total novice and
      would need to know what you need in the way of tools.
      I don't do well with saws so I would be more interested in "precut"
      wood. Where would you go for that?

      Also, fletches, how to books, etc.

      Lady Eleanor Ravnild

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Oakes, George" <goakes@...> wrote:

      > Bill,
      >
      > How do you plane the arrows so they are round? I bet that is a trick?
      >
      > Thanks
      >
      > ________________________________

    • Michael Grossberg
      Message 2 of 26 , Aug 6 10:12 AM
        Message 3 of 26 , Aug 6 3:21 PM
          Heya

          If you go to http://www3.sympatico.ca/ragiwarmbear/diy/arrows/scarrow.html
          this will cover the basics of making arrows.

          To roll your own shafts and go full on medieval, it is a lot more work and
          to get good results requires some finicky fiddling with the shafts you make.

          However the basics are that you either find a board of straight grain wood,
          such as dense pine, poplar, spruce, ash, maple etc, saw the wood into 7/16
          by 7/16 by 36 inch lengths as close to perfectly as you can. Wobble here
          will result in wobble in the shaft.

          Or you can track down some suitable bushes such as red Osier or meadowsweet
          or maple and ash and cherry saplings and make arrows out of them, they are
          already round and by selecting the straightest branches that are as close to
          3/8 inch +/- in diameter you save a lot of woodwork.

          Both methods are period and doable but they require very different
          treatments to make the arrow shaft.

          I suggest you go look up paleoplanet, a site for all sorts of primitive
          skills and archery is one of their biggest sections. Tell them Ragi sent
          you.

          If you have more specific questions I would love to try and answer them but
          I don't have the energy to type out the whole process right now.

          http://p081.ezboard.com/bpaleoplanet69529

          Ragi

          I would be interested in making my own too, I am a total novice and
          would need to know what you need in the way of tools.
          I don't do well with saws so I would be more interested in "precut"
          wood. Where would you go for that?

          Also, fletches, how to books, etc.

          Lady Eleanor Ravnild

          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Oakes, George" <goakes@...> wrote:

          > Bill,
          >
          > How do you plane the arrows so they are round? I bet that is a trick?
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > ________________________________

        • jameswolfden
          Message 4 of 26 , Aug 6 5:20 PM
            It's not really that much of a trick at all. You start by planing the corners off giving you an
            octagon. Keeping taking the corners off and use a furniture scraper at the end to round it.

            Also, remember that planes don't just have straight blades. They can be made with
            rounded blades like in a spar plane. I have seen a photograph of an arrow plane recovered
            from the Mary Rose. From the photograph, it looked similar to spar plane with a smaller
            radius.

            SPAR PLANE PLANS
            http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/readarticle.pl?dir=smalser&file=articles_446.shtml

            There is another type of plane called a rounder plane but I don't know if it was used in
            period. It is called a rounder plane. It works on square stock and rounds while you work
            down the shaft.

            http://www.ashemcrafts.com/products_rotary_planes.aspx

            In Service,
            James Wolfden

            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Oakes, George" <goakes@...> wrote:

            > Bill,
            >
            > How do you plane the arrows so they are round? I bet that is a trick?
            >
            > Thanks
            >
            > ________________________________

          • Bill Brown
            Message 5 of 26 , Aug 8 9:28 PM
              I guess first point to make is these arrows are not round.exactly. I mean
              they are not machine cut so there is, if you look close, a slight octagon
              shape. In fact you can add spine weight to your arrows by not "rounding"
              them as much, leaving a very slight octagonal shape to them. This can only
              be seen if you look close. In period I would bet, yet I have found no
              research for it yet, that many of the thick, mass produced arrows were
              little more then roughed out shafts sanded to prevent splinters. These
              follow the same basic creation just a little more refined. It is pretty easy
              even with hand tools to split a nice straight 3' log into many usable
              squared dowels.(one of my next projects, arrows from a log.hee hee).

              Message 6 of 26 , Aug 8 9:35 PM
                If your going to go with pre cut square stock you will end up with a poor
                selection of arrows, You almost must saw down your own because the arrows
                you will build need to come from the same cut of board to have the same
                basic grain pattern. This is why a dozen of my arrows will have the same
                warping characteristics as each other. (all arrows warp) Not to mention you
                will be paying as much as you would in the end as factory made shafts. If
                you cant cut your own find someone you can direct what you want cut.

                Fletching, Three Rivers Archery www.threeriversarchery.com , I know there
                are better bargains but I have never dealt with a finer company and to save
                a few dimes I never will.

                How to books etc.same place

                My Lady I hope this helps some,

                In Service,

                Domingos de Leon

                --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SCA-Archery%40yahoogroups.com> ,
                "Oakes, George" <goakes@...> wrote:

                > Bill,
                >
                > How do you plane the arrows so they are round? I bet that is a trick?
                >
                > Thanks

              • logantheboweyder
                Message 7 of 26 , Aug 9 9:08 AM
                  A spoke shave or draw knife (or sandpaper) will round them out
                  pretty easily.

                  My 2 cents,
                  Logan

                  --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Brown" <stickbow@...>