RE: [SCA-Archery] Making Period Arrows for Target Toruneys

  • Oakes, George
    Message 1 of 26 , Aug 6 8:52 AM
      Bill,

      How do you plane the arrows so they are round? I bet that is a trick?

      Thanks

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 26 , Aug 6 9:54 AM
        I would be interested in making my own too, I am a total novice and
        would need to know what you need in the way of tools.
        I don't do well with saws so I would be more interested in "precut"
        wood. Where would you go for that?

        Also, fletches, how to books, etc.

        Lady Eleanor Ravnild

        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Oakes, George" <goakes@...> wrote:

        > Bill,
        >
        > How do you plane the arrows so they are round? I bet that is a trick?
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > ________________________________

      • Michael Grossberg
        Message 3 of 26 , Aug 6 10:12 AM
          Message 4 of 26 , Aug 6 3:21 PM
            Heya

            If you go to http://www3.sympatico.ca/ragiwarmbear/diy/arrows/scarrow.html
            this will cover the basics of making arrows.

            To roll your own shafts and go full on medieval, it is a lot more work and
            to get good results requires some finicky fiddling with the shafts you make.

            However the basics are that you either find a board of straight grain wood,
            such as dense pine, poplar, spruce, ash, maple etc, saw the wood into 7/16
            by 7/16 by 36 inch lengths as close to perfectly as you can. Wobble here
            will result in wobble in the shaft.

            Or you can track down some suitable bushes such as red Osier or meadowsweet
            or maple and ash and cherry saplings and make arrows out of them, they are
            already round and by selecting the straightest branches that are as close to
            3/8 inch +/- in diameter you save a lot of woodwork.

            Both methods are period and doable but they require very different
            treatments to make the arrow shaft.

            I suggest you go look up paleoplanet, a site for all sorts of primitive
            skills and archery is one of their biggest sections. Tell them Ragi sent
            you.

            If you have more specific questions I would love to try and answer them but
            I don't have the energy to type out the whole process right now.

            http://p081.ezboard.com/bpaleoplanet69529

            Ragi

            I would be interested in making my own too, I am a total novice and
            would need to know what you need in the way of tools.
            I don't do well with saws so I would be more interested in "precut"
            wood. Where would you go for that?

            Also, fletches, how to books, etc.

            Lady Eleanor Ravnild

            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Oakes, George" <goakes@...> wrote:

            > Bill,
            >
            > How do you plane the arrows so they are round? I bet that is a trick?
            >
            > Thanks
            >
            > ________________________________

          • jameswolfden
            Message 5 of 26 , Aug 6 5:20 PM
              It's not really that much of a trick at all. You start by planing the corners off giving you an
              octagon. Keeping taking the corners off and use a furniture scraper at the end to round it.

              Also, remember that planes don't just have straight blades. They can be made with
              rounded blades like in a spar plane. I have seen a photograph of an arrow plane recovered
              from the Mary Rose. From the photograph, it looked similar to spar plane with a smaller
              radius.

              SPAR PLANE PLANS
              http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/readarticle.pl?dir=smalser&file=articles_446.shtml

              There is another type of plane called a rounder plane but I don't know if it was used in
              period. It is called a rounder plane. It works on square stock and rounds while you work
              down the shaft.

              http://www.ashemcrafts.com/products_rotary_planes.aspx

              In Service,
              James Wolfden

              --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Oakes, George" <goakes@...> wrote:

              > Bill,
              >
              > How do you plane the arrows so they are round? I bet that is a trick?
              >
              > Thanks
              >
              > ________________________________

            • Bill Brown
              Message 6 of 26 , Aug 8 9:28 PM
                I guess first point to make is these arrows are not round.exactly. I mean
                they are not machine cut so there is, if you look close, a slight octagon
                shape. In fact you can add spine weight to your arrows by not "rounding"
                them as much, leaving a very slight octagonal shape to them. This can only
                be seen if you look close. In period I would bet, yet I have found no
                research for it yet, that many of the thick, mass produced arrows were
                little more then roughed out shafts sanded to prevent splinters. These
                follow the same basic creation just a little more refined. It is pretty easy
                even with hand tools to split a nice straight 3' log into many usable
                squared dowels.(one of my next projects, arrows from a log.hee hee).

                Message 7 of 26 , Aug 8 9:35 PM
                  If your going to go with pre cut square stock you will end up with a poor
                  selection of arrows, You almost must saw down your own because the arrows
                  you will build need to come from the same cut of board to have the same
                  basic grain pattern. This is why a dozen of my arrows will have the same
                  warping characteristics as each other. (all arrows warp) Not to mention you
                  will be paying as much as you would in the end as factory made shafts. If
                  you cant cut your own find someone you can direct what you want cut.

                  Fletching, Three Rivers Archery www.threeriversarchery.com , I know there
                  are better bargains but I have never dealt with a finer company and to save
                  a few dimes I never will.

                  How to books etc.same place

                  My Lady I hope this helps some,

                  In Service,

                  Domingos de Leon

                  --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SCA-Archery%40yahoogroups.com> ,
                  "Oakes, George" <goakes@...> wrote:

                  > Bill,
                  >
                  > How do you plane the arrows so they are round? I bet that is a trick?
                  >
                  > Thanks

                • logantheboweyder
                  Message 8 of 26 , Aug 9 9:08 AM
                    A spoke shave or draw knife (or sandpaper) will round them out
                    pretty easily.

                    My 2 cents,
                    Logan

                    --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Brown" <stickbow@...>