Re: [SCA-Archery] Good arrows and bows

  • morgan wolf
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 24, 2007
      ----- Original Message ----
      From: Lord Godwin FitzGilbert de Strigoil <archergodwin@...>
      To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, July 24, 2007 3:33:23 PM
      Subject: [SCA-Archery] Good arrows and bows

      Godwin posited-

      I'm a staunch believer in this: "no handshock = matched equipment"

      I must disagree. My research in building bows indicates to me that certain materials and designs either increase or decrease the likelihood of handshock, i.e.
      recurves tend to have less handshock than a longbow, bamboo has less than oak, composites have less than self bows. Is it possible to *reduce* handshock by making sure your arrows are matched in spine and weight to your bow? Absolutely, and it might even be possible to reduce it enough in an oak longbow that is negligible, not even really noticable to you once you're used to it, and of course I agree that having arrows that are too heavy *or* too light for your bow can cause more handshock, but I've never shot a true longbow that didn't have some handshock. Believe me, I'd love to find one, I have CTS, so for me handshock *hurts*. If your bow gives you no shock whatsoever, I'd love to try it sometime and find out how you made it.

      Morgan Blaidd Du,
      mka Morgan Wolf
      Damn Vicar Archery and Stuff
      www.damnvicar.com
      damnvicar@...

      Luggage? GPS? Comic books?
    • Lord Godwin FitzGilbert de Strigoil
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 24, 2007
        Might I also interject that really good arrows have nothing to do with paint or
        dye or color of fletch ;)

        Find all your variables for the bow you shoot with some plain, but well matched,
        target arrows, then make them "pretty".

        It took me almost a year, to find the exact arrow that my bow "liked" to shoot.
        I'm a staunch believer in this: "no handshock = matched equipment"

        Godwin