Making Period Arrows for Target Toruneys

  • Oakes, George
    Message 1 of 26 , Jul 18, 2007
      Greetings fellow Archers,

      I am recently new to SCA, and want to begin with Archery Target shooting
      and want to know what kind of arrows I need to buy and or make.

      I am purchasing a Hickory Backed Longbow, in the 40-50lb ranges, and I
      know the arrow must be a wooden/cedar arrow. My question is may I use,
      Store bought feathered arrows, with target tips, or am I required to
      purchase the cedar arrow bare, and make up arrows using period
      materials. I.e Fletch my own feathers with wire or string? paint them,
      and install the points?

      If there is an article that describes this process I would appreciate
      it.

      I am looking at shooting in Period, in SCA tournements.

      PS. I am an avid bowhunter, and currently shoot very well with my
      Compound and aluminum arrows, which I know are not allowed. I just
      wanted to add, I do know about archery, and want to learn about period
      archery as it applys to the SCA.

      Thanks

      Gavin Kinkade
      Baroney of Marcaster
      Kingdom of Trimaris
      (george)

    • Hobbe
      Message 2 of 26 , Jul 18, 2007
        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Oakes, George" <goakes@...> wrote:
        > I am looking at shooting in Period, in SCA tournements.

        For most SCA competitions, all you will need are wooden arrows with
        feathers. Store bought feathers are fine, as are plastic nocks and any
        style of field tip. Some competitions are more restrictive, but these
        arrows will get you into the majority of events and competitions.
        -Hobbe
      • ld.blackmoon
        Message 3 of 26 , Jul 18, 2007
          greetings

          and welcome ,
          that realy depends on your kingdom rules.
          in ansteorra, in order to shoot in the period division , you cant have plastic nocks on your arrows, but store bought target tips are allowed ,
          ( because bodkin points eat target butts )
          i tried to look up your rules , but your kingdom web is being rebuilt, and that link is dead.

          more than likely, you will need to either buy pre-made " period arrows" or make them your self.
          the key being they will likely need self nocks, or horn nocks, or reinforced self nocks to make them period .
          also cedar is a relativly new arrow wood , you might want to research and see what wood your personna would have used ; )
          course , cedar is probably gonna be the cheapest way to go.

          making your own arrows is a great way to meet people and get involved in the archery community, it also is a great way to personalize your arrows.
          say for instance , your a lord , with your own device and colors ?? or perhaps you are but a concript in your barons service , and your arrows would have been marked with his colors instead ??
          either way, be creative , and have fun

          hope that helps

          be safe , be happy, have fun
          arthur blackmoon
          ansteorra

          Message 4 of 26 , Jul 18, 2007
            When ld.blackmoon put fingers to keys it was 7/18/07 12:28 PM...

            > ( because bodkin points eat target butts )

            That's the folklore.
            But, as we know:
            All general statements are wrong.

            It depends entirely on the design of the bodkin and the butt.

            If it's a styrofoam butt, a bodkin can actually do less damage. I've
            seen conventional arrows punch out cones of material from the back of
            the target. A good bodkin will just pierce it and make a hole the size
            of the shaft. Which is what most conventional arrows do.

            If it's a polyethylene foam butt AND the edges of the bodkin are SHARP,
            yeah the arrow does a little bit more damage than a conventional arrow.
            (It would be an interesting thing to test*) If the edges are not sharp,
            I think we'll find that the additional damage is nearly imperceptable.

            On hay bales and saunders matts, the difficulty comes when the bodkin
            point sinks into the wooden supports. But that happens with conventional
            arrows too.

            There are a lot of 'bodkin' points being sold by metalworkers that are
            not archers. They don't understand the archers' needs and make what are
            in essence barbed arrowheads, too thick at the edge of the socket. It is
            entirely possible to make a bodkin that is thin at that edge and gets
            along just fine with all manner of butts.

            The only problem I've had is that my bodkin-pointed arrows scoff at
            arrow-stopping curtains.

            http://carl.west.home.comcast.net/WhatIShoot.jpg

            *I think the thing to do is to shoot a block of new closed cell foam
            with the heads in question, pump paint or some such colored stuff
            through the holes, let it dry, then slice the block thinly, cross-wise
            to the holes, and note the extent of the damage as shown by the
            colorant. Make sense?

            --
            Fritz
            Aut inveniam viam aut faciam.
            Message 5 of 26 , Jul 18, 2007

              > Greetings fellow Archers,
              >
              > I am recently new to SCA, and want to begin with Archery Target shooting
              > and want to know what kind of arrows I need to buy and or make.
              >
              > I am purchasing a Hickory Backed Longbow, in the 40-50lb ranges, and I
              > know the arrow must be a wooden/cedar arrow. My question is may I use,
              > Store bought feathered arrows, with target tips, or am I required to
              > purchase the cedar arrow bare, and make up arrows using period
              > materials. I.e Fletch my own feathers with wire or string? paint them,
              > and install the points?
              >
              > If there is an article that describes this process I would appreciate
              > it.
              >
              > I am looking at shooting in Period, in SCA tournements.

              If you aren't already aware of them, 3 Rivers Archery(3RiversArchery.com) has not only information on home crafting arrows, but all the supplies one needs to do so. They even have some very nice, semi-bodkin looking, points that fit 11/32" shafts, called "medieval points". Usually pretty good prices too (but you may benefit by shopping around for wood shaft prices. They ain't really cheap anywhere!).
              In the East Kingdom, as long as it has a wooden shaft, feather fletching, and a target/field type point(including the aforementioned "medieval"[I had my local marshal check them!]), it's usable.
              Hope this helps.
              Gardr Gunnarsson
              Settmour Swamp
            • Bill Brown
              Message 6 of 26 , Jul 18, 2007
                >>>Usually pretty good prices too (but you may benefit by shopping around for wood shaft prices. They ain't really cheap anywhere!).

                Unless you cut them from boards and had plane them, I get a dozen and a half out of a 36”x8”x1” poplar board from Home Depot that runs me about 5 bucks. So for a dozen arrows I am spending about $15 total and man is it cool to show up shooting real home made arrows!

                Domingos

                > I am recently new to SCA, and want to begin with Archery Target shooting
                > and want to know what kind of arrows I need to buy and or make.
                >
                > I am purchasing a Hickory Backed Longbow, in the 40-50lb ranges, and I
                > know the arrow must be a wooden/cedar arrow. My question is may I use,
                > Store bought feathered arrows, with target tips, or am I required to
                > purchase the cedar arrow bare, and make up arrows using period
                > materials. I.e Fletch my own feathers with wire or string? paint them,
                > and install the points?
                >
                > If there is an article that describes this process I would appreciate
                > it.
                >
                > I am looking at shooting in Period, in SCA tournements.

                If you aren't already aware of them, 3 Rivers Archery(3RiversArchery.com) has not only information on home crafting arrows, but all the supplies one needs to do so. They even have some very nice, semi-bodkin looking, points that fit 11/32" shafts, called "medieval points". Usually pretty good prices too (but you may benefit by shopping around for wood shaft prices. They ain't really cheap anywhere!).
                In the East Kingdom, as long as it has a wooden shaft, feather fletching, and a target/field type point(including the aforementioned "medieval"[I had my local marshal check them!]), it's usable.
                Hope this helps.
                Gardr Gunnarsson
                Settmour Swamp

              • John and Carol Atkins
                Message 7 of 26 , Jul 19, 2007
                  Gavin,
                  Welcome to the fmily of traditional archers. As you live in
                  Marcaster may I recommend you get in touch with Richard of
                  Marcaster? His email addy is rll@... . He is most
                  knowledgeable and more than willing to assist with your needs. He
                  will be camping with us at Pennsic, July 27 - Aug 12, although I
                  believe he is only doing the second week. Another in your area is
                  Temucuan. I don't have contact information for him though.

                  Good luck,
                  Christophe of Grey

                  wrote:

                  > Greetings fellow Archers,
                  >
                  > I am recently new to SCA, and want to begin with Archery Target
                  shooting
                  > and want to know what kind of arrows I need to buy and or make.
                  >
                  > I am purchasing a Hickory Backed Longbow, in the 40-50lb ranges,
                  and I
                  > know the arrow must be a wooden/cedar arrow. My question is may I
                  use,
                  > Store bought feathered arrows, with target tips, or am I required
                  > purchase the cedar arrow bare, and make up arrows using period
                  > materials. I.e Fletch my own feathers with wire or string? paint
                  them,
                  > and install the points?
                  >
                  > If there is an article that describes this process I would
                  appreciate
                  > it.
                  >
                  > I am looking at shooting in Period, in SCA tournements.
                  >
                  > PS. I am an avid bowhunter, and currently shoot very well with my
                  > Compound and aluminum arrows, which I know are not allowed. I just
                  > wanted to add, I do know about archery, and want to learn about
                  period
                  > archery as it applys to the SCA.
                  >
                  > Thanks
                  >
                  > Gavin Kinkade
                  > Baroney of Marcaster
                  > Kingdom of Trimaris
                  > (george)

                • lindorie55
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jul 19, 2007
                    This may be true for 'most' SCA competitions, but not for period
                    shoots. Plastic nocks are a no-no in all period competitions that I
                    know of. As far as bodkins, I go on a case by case basis when I inspect
                    them. There are some bodkins that have very sharp edges which will
                    shred the Saunders mats and the cords that hold them together. As far
                    as damage to the wooden supports....well, a regular field point can do
                    that and we don't worry about those. Supports get shot up, but those
                    can be replaced/repaired for a lot cheaper than the butts.

                    Cheers,

                    Lyneya

                    --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Hobbe" <clanyoungvp@...> wrote:

                    > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Oakes, George" <goakes@> wrote:
                    > > I am looking at shooting in Period, in SCA tournements.
                    >
                    > For most SCA competitions, all you will need are wooden arrows with
                    > feathers. Store bought feathers are fine, as are plastic nocks and
                    any
                    > style of field tip. Some competitions are more restrictive, but these
                    > arrows will get you into the majority of events and competitions.
                    > -Hobbe

                  • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jul 19, 2007
                      For "most SCA competitions" are run by individuals and not by a code book of unified sandard rules. So if the individual sees 10 crossbows and 10 recurves he runs two classes "crossbow and hand bow...DUU(thats french for DA)"

                      If he sees 10 all wood long long bows but only one set of self nock arrows they get thrown into one class.

                      Most of the shoots we do are for fun...although I have seen a couple were winning made or broke your reputation. But we do admire the individual that can take the heckling(sp) and still hit the target rolling down the hill.

                      James Cunningham

                      This may be true for 'most' SCA competitions, but not for period
                      shoots. Plastic nocks are a no-no in all period competitions that I
                      know of. As far as bodkins, I go on a case by case basis when I inspect
                      them. There are some bodkins that have very sharp edges which will
                      shred the Saunders mats and the cords that hold them together. As far
                      as damage to the wooden supports....well, a regular field point can do
                      that and we don't worry about those. Supports get shot up, but those
                      can be replaced/repaired for a lot cheaper than the butts.

                      Cheers,

                      Lyneya

                      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Hobbe" <clanyoungvp@...> wrote:

                      > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Oakes, George" <goakes@> wrote:
                      > > I am looking at shooting in Period, in SCA tournements.
                      >
                      > For most SCA competitions, all you will need are wooden arrows with
                      > feathers. Store bought feathers are fine, as are plastic nocks and
                      any
                      > style of field tip. Some competitions are more restrictive, but these
                      > arrows will get you into the majority of events and competitions.
                      > -Hobbe

                    • Oakes, George
                      Message 10 of 26 , Jul 19, 2007
                        Thank you all for your helpful tips on arrows, for SCA use, now I have
                        been on the groups website and looked in the links section, and I want
                        to know if anyone has a good resource for Good wooden longbows?

                        I have seen 3 rivers archery, and self bow, I am looking for a relativly
                        inexpensive hickory long bow, preferably with a leather grip and an
                        arrow shelf. For under 200 $, idealy closer to 100 would be nice, but I
                        dont want to sacrifice price for quality. As I am new to SCA archery I
                        want to start cheap and then decide after I get in, if I want to get
                        more expensive and buy a better bow or arrows....

                        Thanks again
                        Gavin

                      • Hobbe
                        Message 11 of 26 , Jul 19, 2007
                          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Oakes, George" <goakes@...> wrote:
                          > to know if anyone has a good resource for Good wooden longbows?
                          > Gavin

                          I have the 45 lb. Sequoia from PSE and am very happy with it so far.
                          http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?
                          id=0039098417710a
                        • Robert Meyer
                          Message 12 of 26 , Jul 19, 2007
                            Have you tried Rudderbows Archery? If you go to http://www.rudderbowsarchery.com/store/ and click on Bows. The second entry that comes up is a
                            Traditional Hickory wood English Longbow for $125. I think that's in your price range. I just got a bamboo backed Ipe bow from them and I'm quite happy with it.

                            Hope this helps...

                            Cheers!

                            Robert
                            Thank you all for your helpful tips on arrows, for SCA use, now I have
                            been on the groups website and looked in the links section, and I want
                            to know if anyone has a good resource for Good wooden longbows?

                            I have seen 3 rivers archery, and self bow, I am looking for a relativly
                            inexpensive hickory long bow, preferably with a leather grip and an
                            arrow shelf. For under 200 $, idealy closer to 100 would be nice, but I
                            dont want to sacrifice price for quality. As I am new to SCA archery I
                            want to start cheap and then decide after I get in, if I want to get
                            more expensive and buy a better bow or arrows....

                            Thanks again
                            Gavin

                          • Aislyn of Glynwyrd Fen
                            Message 13 of 26 , Jul 19, 2007
                              Kees Traditions also has excellant bows at great prices and a life-time
                              warranty on longbows for SCA members. Absolutely beautiful bows. I have a
                              cherry, bamboo backed #35@28", that shoots really sweet and cost $195. They
                              have more simple bows that are cheaper and much more intricate bows that
                              cost a little more of course. A friend has a zebra wood and purple heart
                              wood 45#@28" longbow that shoots amazingly fast and is really gorgeous and
                              cost $225 delivered.

                              You can reach them at octtazae_traditions@.... They travel a lot but
                              still respond very quickly to email. They also have an ebay store, but I
                              usually just give them a call. They really know their stuff!

                              Yours In Service,

                              Ascelyn of Glentewrde
                              Seneschal, Barony of Elfsea &
                              Central Regional Missile Marshal
                              Per bend Sinister Gules and Or, a Unicorn Argent and a Rose Proper

                              If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible
                              warning. -Catherine-

                              From: "Oakes, George" <goakes@...>
                              To: <SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com>
                              Subject: [SCA-Archery] Looking for quality longbows was: Making Period
                              Arrows for Target Toruneys

                              Message 14 of 26 , Jul 19, 2007
                                Also try to fin d someone or some group in your area that makes longbows/flat bows (sometimes called pryamid bows because of the shape). see also the "Traditional Bowyers Bible" three volumes all about bow making in the traditional style or contact me off list for more information.

                                Æoelwigg Æoelwiggsson
                                CARL NELSON
                                236 S. Ave. 55 Apt. D
                                323-344-7030

                                Message 15 of 26 , Jul 19, 2007
                                  I noticed your comment about better bow or arrows and had to
                                  comment. You can start with an inexpensive bow but get the best
                                  arrows you can. You don't have to go for looks and that cost but get
                                  the best quality you can afford. I have seen far too many people
                                  quit archery thinking they can't get the hang of it because they
                                  started with cheap arrows which did not shoot well.
                                  Carolus

                                  At 11:45 AM 7/19/2007, you wrote:

                                  >Thank you all for your helpful tips on arrows, for SCA use, now I have
                                  >been on the groups website and looked in the links section, and I want
                                  >to know if anyone has a good resource for Good wooden longbows?
                                  >
                                  >I have seen 3 rivers archery, and self bow, I am looking for a relativly
                                  >inexpensive hickory long bow, preferably with a leather grip and an
                                  >arrow shelf. For under 200 $, idealy closer to 100 would be nice, but I
                                  >dont want to sacrifice price for quality. As I am new to SCA archery I
                                  >want to start cheap and then decide after I get in, if I want to get
                                  >more expensive and buy a better bow or arrows....
                                  >
                                  >Thanks again
                                  >Gavin

                                • Oakes, George
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jul 23, 2007
                                    Thanks all for your list of resources,

                                    I have 3 bowyers that I am deciding between now. I do like the idea of a
                                    multi-wood bow, as I do enjoy fine wood, and the skill required to make
                                    such things. I am a cabinet/furniture maker, and I love the look of
                                    wood.

                                    As for Archery, I am quite the marksman, I started at a young age
                                    shooting Bows and Arrows, and by the time I was in my late teens, I was
                                    able to shoot pretty much whatever I wanted to, and hit it. I took some
                                    wild game (small and large) as well. After my military career, I
                                    switched over to firearms, and I am now a very good shot with either a
                                    pistol or a rifle. I guess what I am saying is while the sca, and sca
                                    archery is new to me, I am not new to the sport of shooting, be it a bow
                                    or a firearm. I understand the importance of quality equipment, and
                                    Arrows by far are the most important part of the weapon. An arrow that
                                    will not fly true, will rarely ever strike the intended point of aim on
                                    the target. A bow, while it is an important part of the weapon, it is
                                    much more forgiving in that so long as the bow was built and tilered
                                    correctly it should cast a true flying arrow with a great deal of
                                    reproduceable accuracy.

                                    Thanks all for your ideas, hints, and list of quality bowyers.

                                    Yours In Service
                                    Gavin Kinkade
                                    (George)

                                    ________________________________

                                    At 11:45 AM 7/19/2007, you wrote:

                                    >Thank you all for your helpful tips on arrows, for SCA use, now I have
                                    >been on the groups website and looked in the links section, and I want
                                    >to know if anyone has a good resource for Good wooden longbows?
                                    >
                                    >I have seen 3 rivers archery, and self bow, I am looking for a
                                    relativly
                                    >inexpensive hickory long bow, preferably with a leather grip and an
                                    >arrow shelf. For under 200 $, idealy closer to 100 would be nice, but I
                                    >dont want to sacrifice price for quality. As I am new to SCA archery I
                                    >want to start cheap and then decide after I get in, if I want to get
                                    >more expensive and buy a better bow or arrows....
                                    >
                                    >Thanks again
                                    >Gavin

                                    7/18/2007 3:30 PM

                                  • logantheboweyder
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Jul 23, 2007
                                      Don't bother buying your _2nd_ set of arrows. Do the research for
                                      making arrows. (Fletching tool, taper tool, feathers, tip glue,
                                      cement, arrow laquer/paste wax, tips, knocks, arrow straightener)
                                      You will get better matched arrows, arrows matched better to your
                                      bow, and save $ all at the same time. Ask the better archers at
                                      most events, and you will discover fletching is a skill that is a
                                      necessity for almost all of the better archers in the Society.

                                      Trying to be helpful,
                                      Logan

                                      wrote:
                                      ... as I do enjoy fine wood, and the skill required to make such
                                      things. I am a cabinet/furniture maker, and I love the look of
                                      wood...

                                      ...As for Archery, I am quite the marksman, I started at a young age
                                      shooting Bows and Arrows, and by the time I was in my late teens, I
                                      was able to shoot pretty much whatever I wanted to, and hit it...

                                      ... I switched over to firearms, and I am now a very good shot with
                                      either a pistol or a rifle...

                                      ...An arrow that will not fly true, will rarely ever strike the
                                      intended point of aim on the target. A bow, while it is an important
                                      part of the weapon, it is much more forgiving in that so long as the
                                      bow was built and tilered correctly it should cast a true flying
                                      arrow with a great deal of reproduceable accuracy...

                                      > Yours In Service
                                      > Gavin Kinkade
                                      > (George)
                                      >
                                      > ________________________________
                                    • Oakes, George
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Aug 6, 2007
                                        Bill,

                                        How do you plane the arrows so they are round? I bet that is a trick?

                                        Thanks

                                        ________________________________

                                        >>>Usually pretty good prices too (but you may benefit by shopping
                                        around for wood shaft prices. They ain't really cheap anywhere!).

                                        Unless you cut them from boards and had plane them, I get a dozen and a
                                        half out of a 36"x8"x1" poplar board from Home Depot that runs me about
                                        5 bucks. So for a dozen arrows I am spending about $15 total and man is
                                        it cool to show up shooting real home made arrows!
                                      • ladyscribe07
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Aug 6, 2007
                                          I would be interested in making my own too, I am a total novice and
                                          would need to know what you need in the way of tools.
                                          I don't do well with saws so I would be more interested in "precut"
                                          wood. Where would you go for that?

                                          Also, fletches, how to books, etc.

                                          Lady Eleanor Ravnild

                                          Message 20 of 26 , Aug 6, 2007
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Aug 6, 2007
                                              Heya

                                              If you go to http://www3.sympatico.ca/ragiwarmbear/diy/arrows/scarrow.html
                                              this will cover the basics of making arrows.

                                              To roll your own shafts and go full on medieval, it is a lot more work and
                                              to get good results requires some finicky fiddling with the shafts you make.

                                              However the basics are that you either find a board of straight grain wood,
                                              such as dense pine, poplar, spruce, ash, maple etc, saw the wood into 7/16
                                              by 7/16 by 36 inch lengths as close to perfectly as you can. Wobble here
                                              will result in wobble in the shaft.

                                              Or you can track down some suitable bushes such as red Osier or meadowsweet
                                              or maple and ash and cherry saplings and make arrows out of them, they are
                                              already round and by selecting the straightest branches that are as close to
                                              3/8 inch +/- in diameter you save a lot of woodwork.

                                              Both methods are period and doable but they require very different
                                              treatments to make the arrow shaft.

                                              I suggest you go look up paleoplanet, a site for all sorts of primitive
                                              skills and archery is one of their biggest sections. Tell them Ragi sent
                                              you.

                                              If you have more specific questions I would love to try and answer them but
                                              I don't have the energy to type out the whole process right now.

                                              http://p081.ezboard.com/bpaleoplanet69529

                                              Ragi

                                              I would be interested in making my own too, I am a total novice and
                                              would need to know what you need in the way of tools.
                                              I don't do well with saws so I would be more interested in "precut"
                                              wood. Where would you go for that?

                                              Also, fletches, how to books, etc.

                                              Lady Eleanor Ravnild

                                              --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Oakes, George" <goakes@...> wrote:

                                              > Bill,
                                              >
                                              > How do you plane the arrows so they are round? I bet that is a trick?
                                              >
                                              > Thanks
                                              >
                                              > ________________________________

                                            • jameswolfden
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Aug 6, 2007
                                                It's not really that much of a trick at all. You start by planing the corners off giving you an
                                                octagon. Keeping taking the corners off and use a furniture scraper at the end to round it.

                                                Also, remember that planes don't just have straight blades. They can be made with
                                                rounded blades like in a spar plane. I have seen a photograph of an arrow plane recovered
                                                from the Mary Rose. From the photograph, it looked similar to spar plane with a smaller
                                                radius.

                                                SPAR PLANE PLANS
                                                http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/readarticle.pl?dir=smalser&file=articles_446.shtml

                                                There is another type of plane called a rounder plane but I don't know if it was used in
                                                period. It is called a rounder plane. It works on square stock and rounds while you work
                                                down the shaft.

                                                http://www.ashemcrafts.com/products_rotary_planes.aspx

                                                In Service,
                                                James Wolfden

                                                Message 23 of 26 , Aug 8, 2007
                                                  I guess first point to make is these arrows are not round.exactly. I mean
                                                  they are not machine cut so there is, if you look close, a slight octagon
                                                  shape. In fact you can add spine weight to your arrows by not "rounding"
                                                  them as much, leaving a very slight octagonal shape to them. This can only
                                                  be seen if you look close. In period I would bet, yet I have found no
                                                  research for it yet, that many of the thick, mass produced arrows were
                                                  little more then roughed out shafts sanded to prevent splinters. These
                                                  follow the same basic creation just a little more refined. It is pretty easy
                                                  even with hand tools to split a nice straight 3' log into many usable
                                                  squared dowels.(one of my next projects, arrows from a log.hee hee).

                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Aug 8, 2007
                                                    If your going to go with pre cut square stock you will end up with a poor
                                                    selection of arrows, You almost must saw down your own because the arrows
                                                    you will build need to come from the same cut of board to have the same
                                                    basic grain pattern. This is why a dozen of my arrows will have the same
                                                    warping characteristics as each other. (all arrows warp) Not to mention you
                                                    will be paying as much as you would in the end as factory made shafts. If
                                                    you cant cut your own find someone you can direct what you want cut.

                                                    Fletching, Three Rivers Archery www.threeriversarchery.com , I know there
                                                    are better bargains but I have never dealt with a finer company and to save
                                                    a few dimes I never will.

                                                    How to books etc.same place

                                                    My Lady I hope this helps some,

                                                    In Service,

                                                    Domingos de Leon

                                                    --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SCA-Archery%40yahoogroups.com> ,

                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Aug 9, 2007
                                                      A spoke shave or draw knife (or sandpaper) will round them out
                                                      pretty easily.

                                                      My 2 cents,
                                                      Logan

                                                      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Brown" <stickbow@...>