Archery Book on Amazon.com

  • chidiockty
    Message 1 of 26 , Jul 15, 2007
      Anyone else receive this email?

      Chidiock

      "We've noticed that customers who have purchased or rated Weapons Law
      (Water Practitioner's Library) by J. B. Hill or other books in the
      Individual Sports > Archery category have also purchased Longbows in
      the Far North: An Archer's Adventures in Alaska and Siberia by E.
      Donnall, Jr. Thomas. For this reason, you might like to know that
      Longbows in the Far North: An Archer's Adventures in Alaska and
      Siberia is now available. "

      "Product Description
      In this entertaining collection of memoirs, Don Thomas takes readers
      to places few will ever have a chance to explore. His deep respect for
      the wildness of nature is ever-present as he recounts the country,
      people, and animals he encountered during archery expeditions in
      Alaska and Siberia. Whether pursuing open-country caribou, stalking
      Russian rams, or quietly observing black bears on the coast of Alaska,
      Thomas s vivid descriptions of the Arctic wilderness convey the wonder
      inherent in the hunting experience. 16 stories of bowhunting adventure
      in the Far North including exciting encounters with bears, moose,
      wolves, rams, and deer."
    • Oakes, George
      Message 2 of 26 , Jul 18, 2007
        Greetings fellow Archers,

        I am recently new to SCA, and want to begin with Archery Target shooting
        and want to know what kind of arrows I need to buy and or make.

        I am purchasing a Hickory Backed Longbow, in the 40-50lb ranges, and I
        know the arrow must be a wooden/cedar arrow. My question is may I use,
        Store bought feathered arrows, with target tips, or am I required to
        purchase the cedar arrow bare, and make up arrows using period
        materials. I.e Fletch my own feathers with wire or string? paint them,
        and install the points?

        If there is an article that describes this process I would appreciate
        it.

        I am looking at shooting in Period, in SCA tournements.

        PS. I am an avid bowhunter, and currently shoot very well with my
        Compound and aluminum arrows, which I know are not allowed. I just
        wanted to add, I do know about archery, and want to learn about period
        archery as it applys to the SCA.

        Thanks

        Gavin Kinkade
        Baroney of Marcaster
        Kingdom of Trimaris
        (george)

      • Hobbe
        Message 3 of 26 , Jul 18, 2007
          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Oakes, George" <goakes@...> wrote:
          > I am looking at shooting in Period, in SCA tournements.

          For most SCA competitions, all you will need are wooden arrows with
          feathers. Store bought feathers are fine, as are plastic nocks and any
          style of field tip. Some competitions are more restrictive, but these
          arrows will get you into the majority of events and competitions.
          -Hobbe
        • ld.blackmoon
          Message 4 of 26 , Jul 18, 2007
            greetings

            and welcome ,
            that realy depends on your kingdom rules.
            in ansteorra, in order to shoot in the period division , you cant have plastic nocks on your arrows, but store bought target tips are allowed ,
            ( because bodkin points eat target butts )
            i tried to look up your rules , but your kingdom web is being rebuilt, and that link is dead.

            more than likely, you will need to either buy pre-made " period arrows" or make them your self.
            the key being they will likely need self nocks, or horn nocks, or reinforced self nocks to make them period .
            also cedar is a relativly new arrow wood , you might want to research and see what wood your personna would have used ; )
            course , cedar is probably gonna be the cheapest way to go.

            making your own arrows is a great way to meet people and get involved in the archery community, it also is a great way to personalize your arrows.
            say for instance , your a lord , with your own device and colors ?? or perhaps you are but a concript in your barons service , and your arrows would have been marked with his colors instead ??
            either way, be creative , and have fun

            hope that helps

            be safe , be happy, have fun
            arthur blackmoon
            ansteorra

            Message 5 of 26 , Jul 18, 2007
              When ld.blackmoon put fingers to keys it was 7/18/07 12:28 PM...

              > ( because bodkin points eat target butts )

              That's the folklore.
              But, as we know:
              All general statements are wrong.

              It depends entirely on the design of the bodkin and the butt.

              If it's a styrofoam butt, a bodkin can actually do less damage. I've
              seen conventional arrows punch out cones of material from the back of
              the target. A good bodkin will just pierce it and make a hole the size
              of the shaft. Which is what most conventional arrows do.

              If it's a polyethylene foam butt AND the edges of the bodkin are SHARP,
              yeah the arrow does a little bit more damage than a conventional arrow.
              (It would be an interesting thing to test*) If the edges are not sharp,
              I think we'll find that the additional damage is nearly imperceptable.

              On hay bales and saunders matts, the difficulty comes when the bodkin
              point sinks into the wooden supports. But that happens with conventional
              arrows too.

              There are a lot of 'bodkin' points being sold by metalworkers that are
              not archers. They don't understand the archers' needs and make what are
              in essence barbed arrowheads, too thick at the edge of the socket. It is
              entirely possible to make a bodkin that is thin at that edge and gets
              along just fine with all manner of butts.

              The only problem I've had is that my bodkin-pointed arrows scoff at
              arrow-stopping curtains.

              http://carl.west.home.comcast.net/WhatIShoot.jpg

              *I think the thing to do is to shoot a block of new closed cell foam
              with the heads in question, pump paint or some such colored stuff
              through the holes, let it dry, then slice the block thinly, cross-wise
              to the holes, and note the extent of the damage as shown by the
              colorant. Make sense?

              --
              Fritz
              Aut inveniam viam aut faciam.
              Message 6 of 26 , Jul 18, 2007

                > Greetings fellow Archers,
                >
                > I am recently new to SCA, and want to begin with Archery Target shooting
                > and want to know what kind of arrows I need to buy and or make.
                >
                > I am purchasing a Hickory Backed Longbow, in the 40-50lb ranges, and I
                > know the arrow must be a wooden/cedar arrow. My question is may I use,
                > Store bought feathered arrows, with target tips, or am I required to
                > purchase the cedar arrow bare, and make up arrows using period
                > materials. I.e Fletch my own feathers with wire or string? paint them,
                > and install the points?
                >
                > If there is an article that describes this process I would appreciate
                > it.
                >
                > I am looking at shooting in Period, in SCA tournements.

                If you aren't already aware of them, 3 Rivers Archery(3RiversArchery.com) has not only information on home crafting arrows, but all the supplies one needs to do so. They even have some very nice, semi-bodkin looking, points that fit 11/32" shafts, called "medieval points". Usually pretty good prices too (but you may benefit by shopping around for wood shaft prices. They ain't really cheap anywhere!).
                In the East Kingdom, as long as it has a wooden shaft, feather fletching, and a target/field type point(including the aforementioned "medieval"[I had my local marshal check them!]), it's usable.
                Hope this helps.
                Gardr Gunnarsson
                Settmour Swamp
              • Bill Brown
                Message 7 of 26 , Jul 18, 2007
                  >>>Usually pretty good prices too (but you may benefit by shopping around for wood shaft prices. They ain't really cheap anywhere!).

                  Unless you cut them from boards and had plane them, I get a dozen and a half out of a 36”x8”x1” poplar board from Home Depot that runs me about 5 bucks. So for a dozen arrows I am spending about $15 total and man is it cool to show up shooting real home made arrows!

                  Domingos

                  > I am recently new to SCA, and want to begin with Archery Target shooting
                  > and want to know what kind of arrows I need to buy and or make.
                  >
                  > I am purchasing a Hickory Backed Longbow, in the 40-50lb ranges, and I
                  > know the arrow must be a wooden/cedar arrow. My question is may I use,
                  > Store bought feathered arrows, with target tips, or am I required to
                  > purchase the cedar arrow bare, and make up arrows using period
                  > materials. I.e Fletch my own feathers with wire or string? paint them,
                  > and install the points?
                  >
                  > If there is an article that describes this process I would appreciate
                  > it.
                  >
                  > I am looking at shooting in Period, in SCA tournements.

                  If you aren't already aware of them, 3 Rivers Archery(3RiversArchery.com) has not only information on home crafting arrows, but all the supplies one needs to do so. They even have some very nice, semi-bodkin looking, points that fit 11/32" shafts, called "medieval points". Usually pretty good prices too (but you may benefit by shopping around for wood shaft prices. They ain't really cheap anywhere!).
                  In the East Kingdom, as long as it has a wooden shaft, feather fletching, and a target/field type point(including the aforementioned "medieval"[I had my local marshal check them!]), it's usable.
                  Hope this helps.
                  Gardr Gunnarsson
                  Settmour Swamp

                • John and Carol Atkins
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jul 19, 2007
                    Gavin,
                    Welcome to the fmily of traditional archers. As you live in
                    Marcaster may I recommend you get in touch with Richard of
                    Marcaster? His email addy is rll@... . He is most
                    knowledgeable and more than willing to assist with your needs. He
                    will be camping with us at Pennsic, July 27 - Aug 12, although I
                    believe he is only doing the second week. Another in your area is
                    Temucuan. I don't have contact information for him though.

                    Good luck,
                    Christophe of Grey

                    wrote:

                    > Greetings fellow Archers,
                    >
                    > I am recently new to SCA, and want to begin with Archery Target
                    shooting
                    > and want to know what kind of arrows I need to buy and or make.
                    >
                    > I am purchasing a Hickory Backed Longbow, in the 40-50lb ranges,
                    and I
                    > know the arrow must be a wooden/cedar arrow. My question is may I
                    use,
                    > Store bought feathered arrows, with target tips, or am I required
                    > purchase the cedar arrow bare, and make up arrows using period
                    > materials. I.e Fletch my own feathers with wire or string? paint
                    them,
                    > and install the points?
                    >
                    > If there is an article that describes this process I would
                    appreciate
                    > it.
                    >
                    > I am looking at shooting in Period, in SCA tournements.
                    >
                    > PS. I am an avid bowhunter, and currently shoot very well with my
                    > Compound and aluminum arrows, which I know are not allowed. I just
                    > wanted to add, I do know about archery, and want to learn about
                    period
                    > archery as it applys to the SCA.
                    >
                    > Thanks
                    >
                    > Gavin Kinkade
                    > Baroney of Marcaster
                    > Kingdom of Trimaris
                    > (george)

                  • lindorie55
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jul 19, 2007
                      This may be true for 'most' SCA competitions, but not for period
                      shoots. Plastic nocks are a no-no in all period competitions that I
                      know of. As far as bodkins, I go on a case by case basis when I inspect
                      them. There are some bodkins that have very sharp edges which will
                      shred the Saunders mats and the cords that hold them together. As far
                      as damage to the wooden supports....well, a regular field point can do
                      that and we don't worry about those. Supports get shot up, but those
                      can be replaced/repaired for a lot cheaper than the butts.

                      Cheers,

                      Lyneya

                      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Hobbe" <clanyoungvp@...> wrote:

                      > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Oakes, George" <goakes@> wrote:
                      > > I am looking at shooting in Period, in SCA tournements.
                      >
                      > For most SCA competitions, all you will need are wooden arrows with
                      > feathers. Store bought feathers are fine, as are plastic nocks and
                      any
                      > style of field tip. Some competitions are more restrictive, but these
                      > arrows will get you into the majority of events and competitions.
                      > -Hobbe

                    • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                      Message 10 of 26 , Jul 19, 2007
                        For "most SCA competitions" are run by individuals and not by a code book of unified sandard rules. So if the individual sees 10 crossbows and 10 recurves he runs two classes "crossbow and hand bow...DUU(thats french for DA)"

                        If he sees 10 all wood long long bows but only one set of self nock arrows they get thrown into one class.

                        Most of the shoots we do are for fun...although I have seen a couple were winning made or broke your reputation. But we do admire the individual that can take the heckling(sp) and still hit the target rolling down the hill.

                        James Cunningham

                        This may be true for 'most' SCA competitions, but not for period
                        shoots. Plastic nocks are a no-no in all period competitions that I
                        know of. As far as bodkins, I go on a case by case basis when I inspect
                        them. There are some bodkins that have very sharp edges which will
                        shred the Saunders mats and the cords that hold them together. As far
                        as damage to the wooden supports....well, a regular field point can do
                        that and we don't worry about those. Supports get shot up, but those
                        can be replaced/repaired for a lot cheaper than the butts.

                        Cheers,

                        Lyneya

                        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Hobbe" <clanyoungvp@...> wrote:

                        > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Oakes, George" <goakes@> wrote:
                        > > I am looking at shooting in Period, in SCA tournements.
                        >
                        > For most SCA competitions, all you will need are wooden arrows with
                        > feathers. Store bought feathers are fine, as are plastic nocks and
                        any
                        > style of field tip. Some competitions are more restrictive, but these
                        > arrows will get you into the majority of events and competitions.
                        > -Hobbe

                      • Oakes, George
                        Message 11 of 26 , Jul 19, 2007
                          Thank you all for your helpful tips on arrows, for SCA use, now I have
                          been on the groups website and looked in the links section, and I want
                          to know if anyone has a good resource for Good wooden longbows?

                          I have seen 3 rivers archery, and self bow, I am looking for a relativly
                          inexpensive hickory long bow, preferably with a leather grip and an
                          arrow shelf. For under 200 $, idealy closer to 100 would be nice, but I
                          dont want to sacrifice price for quality. As I am new to SCA archery I
                          want to start cheap and then decide after I get in, if I want to get
                          more expensive and buy a better bow or arrows....

                          Thanks again
                          Gavin

                        • Hobbe
                          Message 12 of 26 , Jul 19, 2007
                            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Oakes, George" <goakes@...> wrote:
                            > to know if anyone has a good resource for Good wooden longbows?
                            > Gavin

                            I have the 45 lb. Sequoia from PSE and am very happy with it so far.
                            http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?
                            id=0039098417710a
                          • Robert Meyer
                            Message 13 of 26 , Jul 19, 2007
                              Have you tried Rudderbows Archery? If you go to http://www.rudderbowsarchery.com/store/ and click on Bows. The second entry that comes up is a
                              Traditional Hickory wood English Longbow for $125. I think that's in your price range. I just got a bamboo backed Ipe bow from them and I'm quite happy with it.

                              Hope this helps...

                              Cheers!

                              Robert
                              Thank you all for your helpful tips on arrows, for SCA use, now I have
                              been on the groups website and looked in the links section, and I want
                              to know if anyone has a good resource for Good wooden longbows?

                              I have seen 3 rivers archery, and self bow, I am looking for a relativly
                              inexpensive hickory long bow, preferably with a leather grip and an
                              arrow shelf. For under 200 $, idealy closer to 100 would be nice, but I
                              dont want to sacrifice price for quality. As I am new to SCA archery I
                              want to start cheap and then decide after I get in, if I want to get
                              more expensive and buy a better bow or arrows....

                              Thanks again
                              Gavin

                            • Aislyn of Glynwyrd Fen
                              Message 14 of 26 , Jul 19, 2007
                                Kees Traditions also has excellant bows at great prices and a life-time
                                warranty on longbows for SCA members. Absolutely beautiful bows. I have a
                                cherry, bamboo backed #35@28", that shoots really sweet and cost $195. They
                                have more simple bows that are cheaper and much more intricate bows that
                                cost a little more of course. A friend has a zebra wood and purple heart
                                wood 45#@28" longbow that shoots amazingly fast and is really gorgeous and
                                cost $225 delivered.

                                You can reach them at octtazae_traditions@.... They travel a lot but
                                still respond very quickly to email. They also have an ebay store, but I
                                usually just give them a call. They really know their stuff!

                                Yours In Service,

                                Ascelyn of Glentewrde
                                Seneschal, Barony of Elfsea &
                                Central Regional Missile Marshal
                                Per bend Sinister Gules and Or, a Unicorn Argent and a Rose Proper

                                If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible
                                warning. -Catherine-

                                From: "Oakes, George" <goakes@...>
                                To: <SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com>
                                Subject: [SCA-Archery] Looking for quality longbows was: Making Period
                                Arrows for Target Toruneys

                                Message 15 of 26 , Jul 19, 2007
                                  Also try to fin d someone or some group in your area that makes longbows/flat bows (sometimes called pryamid bows because of the shape). see also the "Traditional Bowyers Bible" three volumes all about bow making in the traditional style or contact me off list for more information.

                                  Æoelwigg Æoelwiggsson
                                  CARL NELSON
                                  236 S. Ave. 55 Apt. D
                                  323-344-7030

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jul 19, 2007
                                    I noticed your comment about better bow or arrows and had to
                                    comment. You can start with an inexpensive bow but get the best
                                    arrows you can. You don't have to go for looks and that cost but get
                                    the best quality you can afford. I have seen far too many people
                                    quit archery thinking they can't get the hang of it because they
                                    started with cheap arrows which did not shoot well.
                                    Carolus

                                    At 11:45 AM 7/19/2007, you wrote:

                                    >Thank you all for your helpful tips on arrows, for SCA use, now I have
                                    >been on the groups website and looked in the links section, and I want
                                    >to know if anyone has a good resource for Good wooden longbows?
                                    >
                                    >I have seen 3 rivers archery, and self bow, I am looking for a relativly
                                    >inexpensive hickory long bow, preferably with a leather grip and an
                                    >arrow shelf. For under 200 $, idealy closer to 100 would be nice, but I
                                    >dont want to sacrifice price for quality. As I am new to SCA archery I
                                    >want to start cheap and then decide after I get in, if I want to get
                                    >more expensive and buy a better bow or arrows....
                                    >
                                    >Thanks again
                                    >Gavin

                                  • Oakes, George
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Jul 23, 2007
                                      Thanks all for your list of resources,

                                      I have 3 bowyers that I am deciding between now. I do like the idea of a
                                      multi-wood bow, as I do enjoy fine wood, and the skill required to make
                                      such things. I am a cabinet/furniture maker, and I love the look of
                                      wood.

                                      As for Archery, I am quite the marksman, I started at a young age
                                      shooting Bows and Arrows, and by the time I was in my late teens, I was
                                      able to shoot pretty much whatever I wanted to, and hit it. I took some
                                      wild game (small and large) as well. After my military career, I
                                      switched over to firearms, and I am now a very good shot with either a
                                      pistol or a rifle. I guess what I am saying is while the sca, and sca
                                      archery is new to me, I am not new to the sport of shooting, be it a bow
                                      or a firearm. I understand the importance of quality equipment, and
                                      Arrows by far are the most important part of the weapon. An arrow that
                                      will not fly true, will rarely ever strike the intended point of aim on
                                      the target. A bow, while it is an important part of the weapon, it is
                                      much more forgiving in that so long as the bow was built and tilered
                                      correctly it should cast a true flying arrow with a great deal of
                                      reproduceable accuracy.

                                      Thanks all for your ideas, hints, and list of quality bowyers.

                                      Yours In Service
                                      Gavin Kinkade
                                      (George)

                                      ________________________________

                                      At 11:45 AM 7/19/2007, you wrote:

                                      >Thank you all for your helpful tips on arrows, for SCA use, now I have
                                      >been on the groups website and looked in the links section, and I want
                                      >to know if anyone has a good resource for Good wooden longbows?
                                      >
                                      >I have seen 3 rivers archery, and self bow, I am looking for a
                                      relativly
                                      >inexpensive hickory long bow, preferably with a leather grip and an
                                      >arrow shelf. For under 200 $, idealy closer to 100 would be nice, but I
                                      >dont want to sacrifice price for quality. As I am new to SCA archery I
                                      >want to start cheap and then decide after I get in, if I want to get
                                      >more expensive and buy a better bow or arrows....
                                      >
                                      >Thanks again
                                      >Gavin

                                      7/18/2007 3:30 PM

                                    • logantheboweyder
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Jul 23, 2007
                                        Don't bother buying your _2nd_ set of arrows. Do the research for
                                        making arrows. (Fletching tool, taper tool, feathers, tip glue,
                                        cement, arrow laquer/paste wax, tips, knocks, arrow straightener)
                                        You will get better matched arrows, arrows matched better to your
                                        bow, and save $ all at the same time. Ask the better archers at
                                        most events, and you will discover fletching is a skill that is a
                                        necessity for almost all of the better archers in the Society.

                                        Trying to be helpful,
                                        Logan

                                        wrote:
                                        ... as I do enjoy fine wood, and the skill required to make such
                                        things. I am a cabinet/furniture maker, and I love the look of
                                        wood...

                                        ...As for Archery, I am quite the marksman, I started at a young age
                                        shooting Bows and Arrows, and by the time I was in my late teens, I
                                        was able to shoot pretty much whatever I wanted to, and hit it...

                                        ... I switched over to firearms, and I am now a very good shot with
                                        either a pistol or a rifle...

                                        ...An arrow that will not fly true, will rarely ever strike the
                                        intended point of aim on the target. A bow, while it is an important
                                        part of the weapon, it is much more forgiving in that so long as the
                                        bow was built and tilered correctly it should cast a true flying
                                        arrow with a great deal of reproduceable accuracy...

                                        > Yours In Service
                                        > Gavin Kinkade
                                        > (George)
                                        >
                                        > ________________________________
                                      • Oakes, George
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Aug 6 8:52 AM
                                          Bill,

                                          How do you plane the arrows so they are round? I bet that is a trick?

                                          Thanks

                                          ________________________________

                                          >>>Usually pretty good prices too (but you may benefit by shopping
                                          around for wood shaft prices. They ain't really cheap anywhere!).

                                          Unless you cut them from boards and had plane them, I get a dozen and a
                                          half out of a 36"x8"x1" poplar board from Home Depot that runs me about
                                          5 bucks. So for a dozen arrows I am spending about $15 total and man is
                                          it cool to show up shooting real home made arrows!
                                        • ladyscribe07
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Aug 6 9:54 AM
                                            I would be interested in making my own too, I am a total novice and
                                            would need to know what you need in the way of tools.
                                            I don't do well with saws so I would be more interested in "precut"
                                            wood. Where would you go for that?

                                            Also, fletches, how to books, etc.

                                            Lady Eleanor Ravnild

                                            Message 21 of 26 , Aug 6 10:12 AM
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Aug 6 3:21 PM
                                                Heya

                                                If you go to http://www3.sympatico.ca/ragiwarmbear/diy/arrows/scarrow.html
                                                this will cover the basics of making arrows.

                                                To roll your own shafts and go full on medieval, it is a lot more work and
                                                to get good results requires some finicky fiddling with the shafts you make.

                                                However the basics are that you either find a board of straight grain wood,
                                                such as dense pine, poplar, spruce, ash, maple etc, saw the wood into 7/16
                                                by 7/16 by 36 inch lengths as close to perfectly as you can. Wobble here
                                                will result in wobble in the shaft.

                                                Or you can track down some suitable bushes such as red Osier or meadowsweet
                                                or maple and ash and cherry saplings and make arrows out of them, they are
                                                already round and by selecting the straightest branches that are as close to
                                                3/8 inch +/- in diameter you save a lot of woodwork.

                                                Both methods are period and doable but they require very different
                                                treatments to make the arrow shaft.

                                                I suggest you go look up paleoplanet, a site for all sorts of primitive
                                                skills and archery is one of their biggest sections. Tell them Ragi sent
                                                you.

                                                If you have more specific questions I would love to try and answer them but
                                                I don't have the energy to type out the whole process right now.

                                                http://p081.ezboard.com/bpaleoplanet69529

                                                Ragi

                                                I would be interested in making my own too, I am a total novice and
                                                would need to know what you need in the way of tools.
                                                I don't do well with saws so I would be more interested in "precut"
                                                wood. Where would you go for that?

                                                Also, fletches, how to books, etc.

                                                Lady Eleanor Ravnild

                                                --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Oakes, George" <goakes@...> wrote:

                                                > Bill,
                                                >
                                                > How do you plane the arrows so they are round? I bet that is a trick?
                                                >
                                                > Thanks
                                                >
                                                > ________________________________

                                              • jameswolfden
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Aug 6 5:20 PM
                                                  It's not really that much of a trick at all. You start by planing the corners off giving you an
                                                  octagon. Keeping taking the corners off and use a furniture scraper at the end to round it.

                                                  Also, remember that planes don't just have straight blades. They can be made with
                                                  rounded blades like in a spar plane. I have seen a photograph of an arrow plane recovered
                                                  from the Mary Rose. From the photograph, it looked similar to spar plane with a smaller
                                                  radius.

                                                  SPAR PLANE PLANS
                                                  http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/readarticle.pl?dir=smalser&file=articles_446.shtml

                                                  There is another type of plane called a rounder plane but I don't know if it was used in
                                                  period. It is called a rounder plane. It works on square stock and rounds while you work
                                                  down the shaft.

                                                  http://www.ashemcrafts.com/products_rotary_planes.aspx

                                                  In Service,
                                                  James Wolfden

                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Aug 8 9:28 PM
                                                    I guess first point to make is these arrows are not round.exactly. I mean
                                                    they are not machine cut so there is, if you look close, a slight octagon
                                                    shape. In fact you can add spine weight to your arrows by not "rounding"
                                                    them as much, leaving a very slight octagonal shape to them. This can only
                                                    be seen if you look close. In period I would bet, yet I have found no
                                                    research for it yet, that many of the thick, mass produced arrows were
                                                    little more then roughed out shafts sanded to prevent splinters. These
                                                    follow the same basic creation just a little more refined. It is pretty easy
                                                    even with hand tools to split a nice straight 3' log into many usable
                                                    squared dowels.(one of my next projects, arrows from a log.hee hee).

                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Aug 8 9:35 PM
                                                      If your going to go with pre cut square stock you will end up with a poor
                                                      selection of arrows, You almost must saw down your own because the arrows
                                                      you will build need to come from the same cut of board to have the same
                                                      basic grain pattern. This is why a dozen of my arrows will have the same
                                                      warping characteristics as each other. (all arrows warp) Not to mention you
                                                      will be paying as much as you would in the end as factory made shafts. If
                                                      you cant cut your own find someone you can direct what you want cut.

                                                      Fletching, Three Rivers Archery www.threeriversarchery.com , I know there
                                                      are better bargains but I have never dealt with a finer company and to save
                                                      a few dimes I never will.

                                                      How to books etc.same place

                                                      My Lady I hope this helps some,

                                                      In Service,

                                                      Domingos de Leon

                                                      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SCA-Archery%40yahoogroups.com> ,

                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Aug 9 9:08 AM
                                                        A spoke shave or draw knife (or sandpaper) will round them out
                                                        pretty easily.

                                                        My 2 cents,
                                                        Logan

                                                        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Brown" <stickbow@...>