Re: Linen or Canvas backed bows

  • jameswolfden
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 2, 2007
      Well, if you are going to be historically correct, then you won't be backing a longbow for
      most of the European culture.

      Cloth backing is a relatively modern thing and probably dates back less than a 100 years.
      (Despite anything you might see on Woodbows.com)

      Wood backed longbows seem to pop up in 17th Century but I don't think you would find
      too many people complaining on the line.

      Sinew backing was big in North America and on Asiatic bows but not used on the longbow.
      The composite crossbow prod was done using it so the technology was known and used
      by the Europeans. The benefis of sinew backing are lost when the bow gets longer. On
      shorter bows, sinew backing is much superior to linen backing especially when done with
      hide glue.

      The Knox gelatine glue is superior to the liquid hide glue but Lee Valley sells the hide glue
      granules which is better than both. My local asian market sells the fish bladders which I
      have to try to make hide glue out of at some point.

      Every bowyer has his favourite glue. Most of the bowyers I know prefer the Titebond over
      the epoxy when working with natural materials.

      James Wolfden

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Carl Nelson <carln7427@...> wrote:

      > I would use a very light linen or possible sinew. Also I would checkout PaleoPlanet at
      > b16.ezboard.com/bpaleoplanet69529 for more hints and tips about backing bows. As
      for glues if you want to be close to historicaly correct I would use hide glue otherwise a
      good 3 hour epoxy will work, again see PaleoPlanet for recomendations.