Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: SCA Archery

  • Carolus
    Message 1 of 62 , Jul 1, 2007
      I would like to share your confidence in the abilities of our
      individual archers, but my experience in 30 years in the SCA does not
      warrant it. There are very few outright dishonest archers, but many
      careless ones or those who conveniently "forget" scores they do not
      like or delay recording them and then use the scores they
      "remember" I lost count long ago of the number of archers who came
      up to me wanting confirmation of ranking based on scores the
      "remember" shooting at certain events but are dismayed to find I
      still had copies of the score sheets and could confirm the scores
      were much lower than they were (incidentally, I never had an archer
      who remembered a score as being lower than actually shot).

      Additionally, such a site would eventually be assumed to confer
      official sanction and would be used as such by some people. Any time
      a centralized (record" archive is set up it becomes assumed to have
      official standing. Sorry to sound like a cynic but that's been my experience.
      Carolus

      At 07:17 AM 7/1/2007, you wrote:

      >Carolus,
      > >
      >As far as I am concerned, since a Society wide posting of the scores
      >would not confer any official rank, those are handled at the kingdom
      >level, allow individual archers to submit their scores
      >directly. Just require them to also submit the name of the
      >witnessing marshal, and the date and place shot, in case anyone later
      >questions the numbers. In many cases the scores can be verified by
      >viewing the kingdom's posts. Where the kingdom is dropping the ball,
      >the society posts will give a slightly higher but more reliable
      >score. I trust the honesty and honor of my fellow archers over the
      >competence of our archery bureaucracy. As it is now, during the
      >archery season, my Royal Round scores are usually wrong since there
      >is such a lag in posting them to the Midrealm web site.
      > >
      >Jim Koch (Gladius The Alchemist)

    • Bill Brown
      Message 62 of 62 , Jul 3, 2007
        This is a great, simple tip that becomes a history of ones proficiency.
        Thanks Talmon.

        Domingos