Re: [SCA-Archery] Practice, double loading

  • Lord Caedmon Wilson
    Message 1 of 64 , Jun 19, 2007
      ... On imitating practice for war

      A more period version of this would be shoot the first arrow straight
      up and the second flat so they both hit the target at the same time.
      This would require a new version of the standard archery target.

      ... On imitating hunting

      You either wound the animal for death...or you don't. If I am
      practicing to hunt, I shouldn't be using concentric circles. Our
      modern sensibility says that it is cruel to shoot and not kill on the
      first shot.

      ... For sport

      Later royalty shot archery as a past time, an activity with which to
      impress one another. Yes? Maybe it was also a decadent showing-off
      of skill that because of their position, would never have to actually
      be used to hunt an animal.

      ... The Eternal Debate

      I hadn't looked at my calendar and realized it was time for this
      debate again. My apologies for not chiming in sooner.

      -Caedmon
      innocent crossbowman
    • James Koch
      Message 64 of 64 , Jun 20, 2007
        James,

        I know a couple packaging shops here in Cleveland where I ought to be
        able to get them printed really cheaply. One thing I am considering
        is printing them directly onto corrugated cardboard to save people
        the trouble of gluing them. These though will have to be stacked and
        shipped flat. I'll see what size priority boxes I can obtain from
        the post office. If I can find one large enough to handle a stack of
        ten or so 60+cm cardboard squares, then we are in business.

        Jim (Gladius)