Re: what arrows we can use in royal rounds.

  • jameswolfden
    Message 1 of 64 , Jun 17, 2007
      If an archer had 12 arrows in his quiver with the intention that one set was too be used at
      20 or on the speed round, I might let that pass.

      But changing strings every distance, No, I would not allow it. The rules do state that string
      walking is not allowed and the only way I can see this working is a variation of string
      walking by adjusting the nocking point locator with each string.

      If one wanted to use the same sight mark, changing your anchor position is allowed so
      you could try facewalking. I don't see much advantage in facewalking over point of aim but
      you might find it different. For those unfamiliar with the term facewalking, it's using
      different anchor positions of your face to deal with the change in distance. A simplified
      form would be to anchor at the corner of your mouth with your index finger at 40 yards,
      your middle finger to the corner of your mouth at 30, and your ring finger at twenty yard.
      If you think of the anchor only in terms of your index finger, as you get closer your anchor
      moving up your face towards your eye.

      That said, I agree with Carolus that we should be careful about where we are heading with
      this in regards to the spirit of the society. We all want to improve our shooting. We all want
      to be as good at it as we can. I prefer to shoot a stick and string because it eliminates alot
      of variables. When I miss, it is usually me to blame not my gear. And some of the best
      archers in history have used the same type of gear I use but they don't have any royal
      round scores for us to compare against.

      In Service,
      James Wolfden

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "i_griffen" <i_griffen@...> wrote:

      > Ragi
      >
      > This goes along with the following question.
      >
      > Can I change strings between range. Each string is set up for each
      > distance.
      >
      > Iain Griffen

    • James Koch
      Message 64 of 64 , Jun 20, 2007
        James,

        I know a couple packaging shops here in Cleveland where I ought to be
        able to get them printed really cheaply. One thing I am considering
        is printing them directly onto corrugated cardboard to save people
        the trouble of gluing them. These though will have to be stacked and
        shipped flat. I'll see what size priority boxes I can obtain from
        the post office. If I can find one large enough to handle a stack of
        ten or so 60+cm cardboard squares, then we are in business.

        Jim (Gladius)