Re: [SCA-Archery] A question for the Marshals

  • Bruce R. Gordon
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 17, 2007
      Greetings

      in a purely practical sense the matter normally resolves itself by the archer themself - they will either have an extra string handy, and can slip it on rapidly then and there, or they won't, and generally they drop out at that point. Much depends on the nature of the shoot being run, of course: a simple practice or Royal Round is trivial, you go on and they return when and if they can - same with most ordinary event shoots, they are seldom so tightly organized that the affected archer can't play catch-up a few minutes later. The only time something like that really has a disruptive potential is during an elimination round, championship, or other once-only circumstance. In that instance, I generally play it by ear, depending on what I know of the archer, their equipment, the needs of the other participants, my needs to keep things moving, and so on. If the problem appears to be solvable in a few minutes, I am inclined to give them - if it looks like it has good potential to be disruptive if left unchecked, I will be likely to move on. So it's a judgement call, like so much else.

      Nigel

      > If you are running the range and a crossbow or handbow archer blows a
      > serving what would you do.
      >
      > Would you hold the range for a few minutes while the archer reserves
      > the string.
      >
      > Or would you continue on letting the archer(s) miss those scores

      "Do these colors match?"
      "Is this too much jewelry?"
      "Is that my drink?"

    • James W. Pratt, Jr.
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 17, 2007
        No way would I stop running the range for a serving!! Most shoots
        allow some time for a single archer to catch up. During a timed shoot the archer gets what he gets befor he blew the string, prod, etc. At a higher level shoot(finals for the $300 bow) time is given for putting on a new string(good archers have a spare string under their hat) or grab a different bow. But not more than 5-10 min. If the shoot is an elimination shoot the other branches(needing to be shot) of the shoot continue while the repair is completed.

        James Cunningham