Re: Getting started in Archery

  • Sol
    Message 1 of 86 , May 23 4:47 PM
      Hello Cog,
      I am borrowing Sol's account as she noticed your post comparing Kassai
      and Karl Kaffka's bows.
      The merchant at Pennsic for Flagella Dei was the owner of the company,
      Karl Kaffka. Most of his bows I found to be a bit slow with some hand
      shock. There are a couple models that do perform well as you say. Mr.
      Kaffka came to the USA that summer and did a whole lot of shows in the
      SCA and traditional archery circuit. He did not know that Kassai
      archer already had a precense in North America , He sold all his adult
      bows and I bought the 75 childrens bows and all the cool arrow heads
      he had left over. This was mid week at Pennsic. And he went back to
      Hungary. He did not loose money but he came hoping to find a very
      large new market.
      The Magyar Sport from Kassai has been improved and I no longer stock
      the model your friend has. The bow of that size and string length I
      stock is the Raven. Of the 1500 Kassai bows I have brought in, there
      have been a dozen that did have hand shock. If you friend is not
      satisfied with his Kassai have him drop me a line.
      I agree Flagella Dei's prices were pretty good and I did not sell as
      many bows as usual that summer.
      I had the pleasure of talking with yet another Hungarian bow maker
      later that fall. Toth explained to me that Kaffka is quite successfull
      with Flagella Dei and his main market is selling at the Renn faires in
      Germany. He has many Hungarian students work the summers traveling in
      Germany and the rest of the wealthy parts of Europe.
      Have Fun, Keep shooting and especially demonstrating horsearchery
      style shooting and bows.
      At Your Service,
      Ed Gilbert aka Baron Giles Devon aka USA distributor for Kassai
      archery of Hungary. website: horsebows.com

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "John and Carol Atkins"
      <cogworks@...> wrote:

      > My horse bow, technically a Magyar, is from Flagella Dei. It is
      > rated 40 pounds at 28 inches like most modern bows. However my
      > point of shooting more like a 55 pound recurve is based on the
      > trajectory and my personal aiming points when shooting the bow. I
      > do not use the thumb draw. Lucky to hit the ground with that
      > technique! The "increased" performance is based on the propaganda
      > I've read concerning horse bows. As for stacking, none. Realize
      > though that this is a bow designed to be drawn to the shoulder.
      > Using the Mediteranean style draw there is no stacking. When I do
      > demos I often draw this bow to my shoulder to show how it was used
      > in period and there is still no stacking. The one thing this bow
      > has compared to all my other bows, is a bit more hand shock. That
      > could be in large part to mis-matched arrows. I'm still sorting
      > that part out.
      >
      > At Pennsic one year I tried a Kasai bow. A bowyer vendor let me
      > take it to the range and shoot it. It did not live up to any of its
      > billing in my mind. My buddy bought the bow. The following year I
      > was strolling through the vendors when I happened upon the Flagella
      > Dei vendor. We talked about what I liked and disliked in a bow and
      > my experience with the Kasai bows. The vendor picked his Mongol
      > model, with string saddles, and the Magyar models off the rack and
      > handed them to me and said "Go shoot them". Now realize the range
      > is about a mile away and he did not ask for a credit card, deposit,
      > nada. I was very impressed by his trust and honesty. I shot the
      > Mongol bow and didn't care for it although it was smoother than the
      > Kasai - less hand shock. I shot the Magyar and fell in love with
      > it. Again a bit of hand shock but not the mule kick I was getting
      > out of the Kasai bow. Besides the Flagella Dei bows have wood and
      > fiberglass laminations in the limbs versus the Kasai all fiberglass
      > limbs. And the Flagella Dei bows have horn facings on the syhas.
      > Kasai does not. And, best part, the Flagella Dei bow was about $100
      > less. So it's pretty, shoots nice and is more period-like. Good
      > deal all around. (Opinions expressed here are the opinions of the
      > writer and do not reflect the opinions of the list moderator, the
      > list sponsor, or your computer.)
      >
      > cog
      >

      > > **On another note, you say your horse bow releases 55 lbs
      > of energy at 40lbs, How does it pull?? Is there much stacking??
      > >
      > > Antoinette

    • ladyscribe07
      Message 86 of 86 , May 24 3:56 AM
        Thanks for letting me know. The seller assures me there are no
        cracks and I will have someone else check it over too. I belong to
        and local archery club so someone there should be able to notice.
        And I will check it over myself too.

        Thanks,

        Eleanor

        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Lauderdale"

> [...]