Re: archery glove photos

  • jameswolfden
    Message 1 of 8 , May 15, 2007
      I have just posted a jpg of the painting in the files section.

      James
      (who doesn't plan on taking up hand modelling anytime soon)

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "J. Hughes" <jphughessr@...>
      wrote:

      > Any chance we could see the original image that the glove was
      taken from?

      > Charles O'Connor
      >
      > ghmargaret <ghmargaret@...> wrote:
      > Greetings
      >
      > I have posted photos of a three-fingered archery glove here:

      > They are in the photos section of this group.
      >
      > This was taken from a Hans Burgmair painting "Die Basilika S.
      Croce" done in 1504. I call it a
      > late 15th-early 16th century glove.
      >
      > It was done in deerskin with extra padding on the palm-side of the
      fingers. The detail work is
      > done in pigskin suede. Thread was artificial sinew and linen.
      Stitched by hand. This is the
      > first glove I have done for someone else and the fourth glove
      (well the other three were pairs)
      > I have made.
      >
      > The glove was done for my lord, James Wolfden, for his string
      hand, and should be worked
      > in nicely by the end of the month.
      >
      > Enjoy,
      > Margaret Hamilton of Stirlingshire

    • Robin Goldman
      Message 2 of 8 , May 15, 2007
        Very nice! I think I will try and make me a pair soon.

        Thanks,

        Lady Eleanor (new archer)

        jameswolfden <jameswolfden@...> wrote: I have just posted a jpg of the painting in the files section.

        wrote:

        > Any chance we could see the original image that the glove was
        taken from?

        > Charles O'Connor
        >
        > ghmargaret <ghmargaret@...> wrote:
        > Greetings
        >
        > I have posted photos of a three-fingered archery glove here:

        > They are in the photos section of this group.
        >
        > This was taken from a Hans Burgmair painting "Die Basilika S.
        Croce" done in 1504. I call it a
        > late 15th-early 16th century glove.
        >
        > It was done in deerskin with extra padding on the palm-side of the
        fingers. The detail work is
        > done in pigskin suede. Thread was artificial sinew and linen.
        Stitched by hand. This is the
        > first glove I have done for someone else and the fourth glove
        (well the other three were pairs)
        > I have made.
        >
        > The glove was done for my lord, James Wolfden, for his string
        hand, and should be worked
        > in nicely by the end of the month.
        >
        > Enjoy,
        > Margaret Hamilton of Stirlingshire

      • ICE TIGER
        Message 3 of 8 , May 15, 2007
          Nice work.
          Dalton

          > I have just posted a jpg of the painting in the files section.
          >
          > James
          > (who doesn't plan on taking up hand modelling anytime soon)
          >

          > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "J. Hughes" <jphughessr@...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Any chance we could see the original image that the glove was
          > taken from?
          > >
          > > Charles O'Connor
          > >
          > > ghmargaret <ghmargaret@...> wrote:
          > > Greetings
          > >
          > > I have posted photos of a three-fingered archery glove here:

          > > They are in the photos section of this group.
          > >
          > > This was taken from a Hans Burgmair painting "Die Basilika S.
          > Croce" done in 1504. I call it a
          > > late 15th-early 16th century glove.
          > >
          > > It was done in deerskin with extra padding on the palm-side of
          > the
          > fingers. The detail work is
          > > done in pigskin suede. Thread was artificial sinew and linen.
          > Stitched by hand. This is the
          > > first glove I have done for someone else and the fourth glove
          > (well the other three were pairs)
          > > I have made.
          > >
          > > The glove was done for my lord, James Wolfden, for his string
          > hand, and should be worked
          > > in nicely by the end of the month.
          > >
          > > Enjoy,
          > > Margaret Hamilton of Stirlingshire

        • ghmargaret
          Message 4 of 8 , May 15, 2007
            Greetings

            Thank you for the compliment. The pattern was created by myself specifically for my lord.
            The site posted below shows how to create your own pattern for a complete glove. I have
            not added the thumb piece, but left the opening. I removed the pinky finger and adjusted
            the opening there. All other construction instructions are the same.

            http://www.glove.org/myfirstgloves.php

            This site got me started in the right direction. It helps to make a mock-up in felt wool to
            get the proper fit, as it mimics leather. You can use recycled leather but watch for dye
            leakage. The very first archery glove I made for myself ended up leaching dye and my hand
            would be black and blue after use!

            There is also a Yahoo!Group for glovemaking called the Society of St. Anne. Very
            informative. There are books too.

            Have fun,
            Margaret

            Message 5 of 8 , May 15, 2007
              Cheers!

              Thanks so much for the info and for sharing!

              Lady Eleanor