Re: [SCA-Archery] archery glove photos

  • J. Hughes
    Message 1 of 8 , May 15, 2007
      Any chance we could see the original image that the glove was taken from?

      Charles O'Connor

      ghmargaret <ghmargaret@...> wrote:
      Greetings

      I have posted photos of a three-fingered archery glove here:

      They are in the photos section of this group.

      This was taken from a Hans Burgmair painting "Die Basilika S. Croce" done in 1504. I call it a
      late 15th-early 16th century glove.

      It was done in deerskin with extra padding on the palm-side of the fingers. The detail work is
      done in pigskin suede. Thread was artificial sinew and linen. Stitched by hand. This is the
      first glove I have done for someone else and the fourth glove (well the other three were pairs)
      I have made.

      The glove was done for my lord, James Wolfden, for his string hand, and should be worked
      in nicely by the end of the month.

      Enjoy,
      Margaret Hamilton of Stirlingshire

    • jameswolfden
      Message 2 of 8 , May 15, 2007
        I have just posted a jpg of the painting in the files section.

        James
        (who doesn't plan on taking up hand modelling anytime soon)

        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "J. Hughes" <jphughessr@...>
        wrote:

        > Any chance we could see the original image that the glove was
        taken from?

        > Charles O'Connor
        >
        > ghmargaret <ghmargaret@...> wrote:
        > Greetings
        >
        > I have posted photos of a three-fingered archery glove here:

        > They are in the photos section of this group.
        >
        > This was taken from a Hans Burgmair painting "Die Basilika S.
        Croce" done in 1504. I call it a
        > late 15th-early 16th century glove.
        >
        > It was done in deerskin with extra padding on the palm-side of the
        fingers. The detail work is
        > done in pigskin suede. Thread was artificial sinew and linen.
        Stitched by hand. This is the
        > first glove I have done for someone else and the fourth glove
        (well the other three were pairs)
        > I have made.
        >
        > The glove was done for my lord, James Wolfden, for his string
        hand, and should be worked
        > in nicely by the end of the month.
        >
        > Enjoy,
        > Margaret Hamilton of Stirlingshire

      • Robin Goldman
        Message 3 of 8 , May 15, 2007
          Very nice! I think I will try and make me a pair soon.

          Thanks,

          Lady Eleanor (new archer)

          jameswolfden <jameswolfden@...> wrote: I have just posted a jpg of the painting in the files section.

          wrote:

          > Any chance we could see the original image that the glove was
          taken from?

          > Charles O'Connor
          >
          > ghmargaret <ghmargaret@...> wrote:
          > Greetings
          >
          > I have posted photos of a three-fingered archery glove here:

          > They are in the photos section of this group.
          >
          > This was taken from a Hans Burgmair painting "Die Basilika S.
          Croce" done in 1504. I call it a
          > late 15th-early 16th century glove.
          >
          > It was done in deerskin with extra padding on the palm-side of the
          fingers. The detail work is
          > done in pigskin suede. Thread was artificial sinew and linen.
          Stitched by hand. This is the
          > first glove I have done for someone else and the fourth glove
          (well the other three were pairs)
          > I have made.
          >
          > The glove was done for my lord, James Wolfden, for his string
          hand, and should be worked
          > in nicely by the end of the month.
          >
          > Enjoy,
          > Margaret Hamilton of Stirlingshire

        • ICE TIGER
          Message 4 of 8 , May 15, 2007
            Nice work.
            Dalton

            > I have just posted a jpg of the painting in the files section.
            >
            > James
            > (who doesn't plan on taking up hand modelling anytime soon)
            >

            > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "J. Hughes" <jphughessr@...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Any chance we could see the original image that the glove was
            > taken from?
            > >
            > > Charles O'Connor
            > >
            > > ghmargaret <ghmargaret@...> wrote:
            > > Greetings
            > >
            > > I have posted photos of a three-fingered archery glove here:

            > > They are in the photos section of this group.
            > >
            > > This was taken from a Hans Burgmair painting "Die Basilika S.
            > Croce" done in 1504. I call it a
            > > late 15th-early 16th century glove.
            > >
            > > It was done in deerskin with extra padding on the palm-side of
            > the
            > fingers. The detail work is
            > > done in pigskin suede. Thread was artificial sinew and linen.
            > Stitched by hand. This is the
            > > first glove I have done for someone else and the fourth glove
            > (well the other three were pairs)
            > > I have made.
            > >
            > > The glove was done for my lord, James Wolfden, for his string
            > hand, and should be worked
            > > in nicely by the end of the month.
            > >
            > > Enjoy,
            > > Margaret Hamilton of Stirlingshire

          • ghmargaret
            Message 5 of 8 , May 15, 2007
              Greetings

              Thank you for the compliment. The pattern was created by myself specifically for my lord.
              The site posted below shows how to create your own pattern for a complete glove. I have
              not added the thumb piece, but left the opening. I removed the pinky finger and adjusted
              the opening there. All other construction instructions are the same.

              http://www.glove.org/myfirstgloves.php

              This site got me started in the right direction. It helps to make a mock-up in felt wool to
              get the proper fit, as it mimics leather. You can use recycled leather but watch for dye
              leakage. The very first archery glove I made for myself ended up leaching dye and my hand
              would be black and blue after use!

              There is also a Yahoo!Group for glovemaking called the Society of St. Anne. Very
              informative. There are books too.

              Have fun,
              Margaret

              Message 6 of 8 , May 15, 2007
                Cheers!

                Thanks so much for the info and for sharing!

                Lady Eleanor