archery glove photos

  • ghmargaret
    Message 1 of 8 , May 15, 2007
      Greetings

      I have posted photos of a three-fingered archery glove here:

      They are in the photos section of this group.

      This was taken from a Hans Burgmair painting "Die Basilika S. Croce" done in 1504. I call it a
      late 15th-early 16th century glove.

      It was done in deerskin with extra padding on the palm-side of the fingers. The detail work is
      done in pigskin suede. Thread was artificial sinew and linen. Stitched by hand. This is the
      first glove I have done for someone else and the fourth glove (well the other three were pairs)
      I have made.

      The glove was done for my lord, James Wolfden, for his string hand, and should be worked
      in nicely by the end of the month.

      Enjoy,
      Margaret Hamilton of Stirlingshire
    • J. Hughes

        Message 3 of 8 , May 15, 2007
          Dear Lady,

          Very nicely done gloves. I would be interested in getting a pattern
          if you have one.

          Thanks,

          Lady Eleanor Ravenild (Shire Grey Gargoyles)

          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "ghmargaret" <ghmargaret@...> wrote:

          > Greetings
          >
          > I have posted photos of a three-fingered archery glove here:

          > They are in the photos section of this group.
          >
          > This was taken from a Hans Burgmair painting "Die Basilika S. Croce"
          done in 1504. I call it a
          > late 15th-early 16th century glove.
          >
          > It was done in deerskin with extra padding on the palm-side of the
          fingers. The detail work is
          > done in pigskin suede. Thread was artificial sinew and linen.
          Stitched by hand. This is the
          > first glove I have done for someone else and the fourth glove (well
          the other three were pairs)
          > I have made.
          >
          > The glove was done for my lord, James Wolfden, for his string hand,
          and should be worked
          > in nicely by the end of the month.
          >
          > Enjoy,
          > Margaret Hamilton of Stirlingshire

        • jameswolfden
          Message 4 of 8 , May 15, 2007
            I have just posted a jpg of the painting in the files section.

            James
            (who doesn't plan on taking up hand modelling anytime soon)

            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "J. Hughes" <jphughessr@...>
            wrote:

            > Any chance we could see the original image that the glove was
            taken from?

            > Charles O'Connor
            >
            > ghmargaret <ghmargaret@...> wrote:
            > Greetings
            >
            > I have posted photos of a three-fingered archery glove here:

            > They are in the photos section of this group.
            >
            > This was taken from a Hans Burgmair painting "Die Basilika S.
            Croce" done in 1504. I call it a
            > late 15th-early 16th century glove.
            >
            > It was done in deerskin with extra padding on the palm-side of the
            fingers. The detail work is
            > done in pigskin suede. Thread was artificial sinew and linen.
            Stitched by hand. This is the
            > first glove I have done for someone else and the fourth glove
            (well the other three were pairs)
            > I have made.
            >
            > The glove was done for my lord, James Wolfden, for his string
            hand, and should be worked
            > in nicely by the end of the month.
            >
            > Enjoy,
            > Margaret Hamilton of Stirlingshire

          • Robin Goldman
            Message 5 of 8 , May 15, 2007
              Very nice! I think I will try and make me a pair soon.

              Thanks,

              Lady Eleanor (new archer)

              jameswolfden <jameswolfden@...> wrote: I have just posted a jpg of the painting in the files section.

              wrote:

              > Any chance we could see the original image that the glove was
              taken from?

              > Charles O'Connor
              >
              > ghmargaret <ghmargaret@...> wrote:
              > Greetings
              >
              > I have posted photos of a three-fingered archery glove here:

              > They are in the photos section of this group.
              >
              > This was taken from a Hans Burgmair painting "Die Basilika S.
              Croce" done in 1504. I call it a
              > late 15th-early 16th century glove.
              >
              > It was done in deerskin with extra padding on the palm-side of the
              fingers. The detail work is
              > done in pigskin suede. Thread was artificial sinew and linen.
              Stitched by hand. This is the
              > first glove I have done for someone else and the fourth glove
              (well the other three were pairs)
              > I have made.
              >
              > The glove was done for my lord, James Wolfden, for his string
              hand, and should be worked
              > in nicely by the end of the month.
              >
              > Enjoy,
              > Margaret Hamilton of Stirlingshire

            • ICE TIGER
              Message 6 of 8 , May 15, 2007
                Nice work.
                Dalton

                Message 7 of 8 , May 15, 2007
                  Greetings

                  Thank you for the compliment. The pattern was created by myself specifically for my lord.
                  The site posted below shows how to create your own pattern for a complete glove. I have
                  not added the thumb piece, but left the opening. I removed the pinky finger and adjusted
                  the opening there. All other construction instructions are the same.

                  http://www.glove.org/myfirstgloves.php

                  This site got me started in the right direction. It helps to make a mock-up in felt wool to
                  get the proper fit, as it mimics leather. You can use recycled leather but watch for dye
                  leakage. The very first archery glove I made for myself ended up leaching dye and my hand
                  would be black and blue after use!

                  There is also a Yahoo!Group for glovemaking called the Society of St. Anne. Very
                  informative. There are books too.

                  Have fun,
                  Margaret

                  Message 8 of 8 , May 15, 2007
                    Cheers!

                    Thanks so much for the info and for sharing!

                    Lady Eleanor