Re: Getting started in Archery

  • theiadora
    Message 1 of 86 , May 2 8:30 PM
      Antoinette,
      When properly shot a 30# Longbow is NOT underpowered. The challenge
      is to the archers skill. They have to learn how to make the shot they
      need to make with that power.
      I have seen Archers in Scotland, New York, Australia, and California
      make shots at 90 yards and up to 175 Yards with a 30# longbow (all
      out of wood).
      You shouldn't blame the bow (unless its a crappy fiberglass bow that
      you bought at a flea market for $5.00, thats probably warped anyway)
      for not being able to make the shot. Its the skill of the Archer.
      I've seen at our local archery store, someone complaining that the
      longbow that he had purchased was a dud, because he couldn't hit
      anything at 10 yards. Then when asked handed it off to another guy
      standing there, who nailed the bulls eye at 10 yards, and then moved
      back and at 40 yards. (They couldn't get farther then that as its an
      Indoor Range).

      Theia

      underpowered at 30 lbs. They are not worth the wood they are made out
      of. However a recurve at 30 lbs is a whole different kettle of fish.
      It can be used with accuracy through 80 to 100 yards (I know because
      I use one and rutinely shoot those distances.) You don't have to be
      super strong to compete in archery. And new archers should not risk
      injury by using too heavy of a bow.

      > Antoinette
    • ladyscribe07
      Message 86 of 86 , May 24 3:56 AM
        Thanks for letting me know. The seller assures me there are no
        cracks and I will have someone else check it over too. I belong to
        and local archery club so someone there should be able to notice.
        And I will check it over myself too.

        Thanks,

        Eleanor

        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Lauderdale"

> [...]