RE: [SCA-Archery] Archery Gear - A Do It Yourself A&S Guide

  • RJ Bachner
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 30, 2007
      Try http://www3.sympatico.ca/ragiwarmbear/diy/diy.html the best DIY site
      going if you need basics. ;)

      Ragi

      -----Original Message-----
      From: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com [mailto:SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com] On
      Behalf Of jameswolfden
      Sent: Monday, April 30, 2007 12:49 AM
      To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [SCA-Archery] Archery Gear - A Do It Yourself A&S Guide

      With all the talk about what a newcomer needs to get started, I thought I
      might point out
      that almost all archery gear can be made yourself. Of course, some is more
      complicated
      than others and a newbie is not likely to be making his/her own bow to start
      with but
      other gear makes a great entry point into the A&S part of archery.

      And, no, I have not done all these things but I'm working on many.

      Beginner's A&S gear

      Arrows - This is probably the starting (and, often, ending) point for most
      A&S archery
      projects. There are numerous DIY sites done up by SCA people here on the
      list. Since this
      is so common, you will probably find some fletcher in your local area that
      will show you
      the ropes and loan you some tools until you buy your own.

      Flemish Twist Sting - With or without a jig, this is simpler to do than make
      an arrow so I
      don't understand why more people don't make their own string. I learned off
      the web but
      nothing beats face to face mentoring. Learning to serve is harder in my mind
      but the
      experienced servers might want to put a word in how easy it really is.

      Continuous Loop String - On the surface, this is even easier than flemish
      twist but it
      requires three times as much serving and I hate to do serving.

      Bracer - Leatherworking and the SCA go together like fries and gravy (I'm
      Canadian, can
      you tell). The bracer is pretty simple leather project to get started on.

      Quiver - Want to look really sharp? Just stick the arrows in your belt and
      forgo the quiver.
      It looks very period and its cheap. Now, I wouldn't want to be Laochlain
      Silverwolf going
      into the speed round using this method but it still looks good. The next
      step up is a
      simple linen cloth bag quiver. And once you hone your leatherworking skills
      on your
      bracer, you might want to try a leather quiver.

      More advanced stuff

      Gloves - The three finger glove can be documented to period. It takes a bit
      more
      leatherworking skill than a bracer but it will be a little easier than doing
      a full glove.

      Arrows - If you haven't done horn inserts and self nocks, now is the time to
      try. Already
      way past that? Have you split some ash and planed out your shaft yet. Forged
      some
      arrowheads? Oh, you have done a bodkin? Then, its time to try weld-forging
      and making a
      Type 16 arrowhead.

      Longbow - Don't start in Yew right off the back. Both Ash and Elm were used
      in period and
      a stave cost about a quarter of the cost of yew. Much easier to work with
      than osage. I
      prefer elm myself. I got a seasoned elm stave and some windfall vine maple
      that I want to
      try and then, that yew is starting to look pretty tempting.

      Crossbow - Start off by buying a prod from somebody like Gladius or
      Siegfried and
      concentrate on building the tiller and the tickler. The notchlock style can
      be built in an
      afternoon and probably belongs in the beginner section. The rolling nut will
      take more
      time and skill. Maybe work up to building your own prods, wood, steel, and
      composite.

      Hornbow - Of course, it's difficult but not impossible. There are a growing
      numbers of
      bowyers tackling this. And, of course, if you make this bow, you are going
      to learn to
      shoot it the way it was meant to be shot even if you have to have the
      marshall clear the
      area for a 100 yards all around you for safety.

      The fun doesn't have to end when you leave the range.

      James Wolfden