turkey feathers

  • rolf_hobart
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 30 5:02 AM
      I have just acquired some turkey wings, and having no experience
      processing feathers would like some advice/information from those who
      do. How many feathers from each wing are likely to be useful for
      fletching? Assuming the use of only simple hand tools, are there any
      tricks, shortcuts or pitfalls in the process of splitting the feathers?

      Rolf Hobart
    • Bill Brown
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 30 4:50 PM
        Though I have only had the opportunity to fletch with turkey feathers once
        from a bird I killed I was shown a pretty effective and simple way of
        removing the fletching you want off of a raw feather. It was shown to me
        that if you grab a pinch near the tip in both directions and pull apart,
        like a wishbone one side gives and begins to peal off of the "stalk" of the
        feather. What's cool is the hard undersurface of most fletching is gone; it
        is with this hard part of a hand cut arrow stem that you run the real risk
        of shooting a fletching through your hand. These soft sided feathers are
        placed in a jig and glued to the shaft (or tied for that period look). What
        is on the shaft (after trimming with hair cutting shears) everything away
        that doesn't look like the arrow fletching you desire) is a smooth
        transition from shaft to feather. Not to mention I think I get better glue
        coverage this way. Removing these once glued is another story.lol

        Domingos

        _____

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 30 10:58 PM
          When Bill Brown put fingers to keys it was 4/30/07 7:50 PM...

          > Though I have only had the opportunity to fletch with turkey feathers once
          > from a bird I killed I was shown a pretty effective and simple way of
          > removing the fletching you want off of a raw feather. It was shown to me
          > that if you grab a pinch near the tip in both directions and pull apart,
          > like a wishbone one side gives and begins to peal off of the "stalk" of the
          > feather. What's cool is the hard undersurface of most fletching is gone; it
          > is with this hard part of a hand cut arrow stem that you run the real risk
          > of shooting a fletching through your hand. These soft sided feathers are
          > placed in a jig and glued to the shaft (or tied for that period look). What
          > is on the shaft (after trimming with hair cutting shears) everything away
          > that doesn't look like the arrow fletching you desire) is a smooth
          > transition from shaft to feather. Not to mention I think I get better glue
          > coverage this way. Removing these once glued is another story.lol
          >
          > Domingos

          Yes, yes, yes.
          Practice on some of the lesser feathers first. I've found that with the
          moulted feathers I use that I want to pull away and down toward the
          in-side of the feather. Experiment with different grips and directions
          of pull.

          Fresher is better, strip the feathers as soon as you can. Use the quills
          to make friends with calligraphers.

          That I strip the feathers this way is part of how I get away with
          shooting off my hand with neither a glove, nor fear.

          Picture:
          http://carl.west.home.comcast.net/archerypage.html

          --
          Fritz