why I shoot longbow

  • ghmargaret
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 28 10:43 PM
      Greetings

      I have been shooting archery in the SCA for about seven years now. I started out like many
      of us up in Lions Gate, shooting a recurve. I learned aiming, form, tuning with this bow. I
      learned about arrowmaking and grouping arrows with this bow.

      I then started to shoot with various longbows loaned to me. My lord started creating his
      own bows and I love shooting them. Shooting a longbow is a little different than shooting
      a recurve. I find it to be a more "organic" experience, I feel more connected to my bow, my
      arrows, and my surroundings. I think it makes me a better archer in total than I could be
      with my recurve.

      There are many archers in Lions Gate that will shoot recurves, there are many interested in
      trying longbows. Those that have experimented with longbows often try other bows such
      as Mongolian horsebows and Yumis. It is all very interesting and increases my enjoyment
      of shooting archery. It is interesting discussing the various bows with people and
      comparing how they all shoot.

      I am 5' 3" and have a draw length of about 25 inches. My longbow is about 30 lbs. I have
      shot a York with it (and even scored at 100 yds). I have 5/16th shafts with 4 inch feathers
      and self-nocked. I try to look period because I enjoy the connection to the past as I do so.

      My lord has made me a new English longbow of about 30 lbs. Due to an arm injury I am
      slowly rushing back to shooting and find that my aiming points to 30 yards are still below
      the butt. I expect to be aiming at the gold at 40 yards which makes this bow more likely to
      perform a York to a higher performance than the previous longbow.

      I have a number of Antir top ten medallions. Some of these medallions are for Period
      Crossbow, another aspect of shooting I have tried and enjoyed. One medallion this year is
      for shooting with a Period Open category bow that was bamboo with sinew that had a
      draw weight of about 20 lbs.(talk about aiming for the sky at 40 yds!!). We call it "Slug"
      because it has a slow inefficient cast, but what a hoot to see it score. Some medallions are
      for Longbow, and Period Longbow.

      Shooting in the SCA should be about the fun and camaraderie of it all. The ability to
      exchange information and ideas should be encouraged and easy to do. That is one reason
      for this list and I have found the archives to be very useful at times. When we talk to
      eachother we should also listen and respect the perspective the other people are coming
      from.

      All good bows (recurves, longbows, compounds, Horsebows, Yumis) work. All good arrows
      (period, modern, cedar, ash, etc.) work. It is a matter of finding the right match for the
      right person.

      In service,
      HL Margaret Hamilton of Stirlingshire