Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Getting started in Archery

  • Richard Yeager
    Message 1 of 86 , Apr 26, 2007
      Just to throw in my two cents worth.
      > > 2. Wooden arrows (qty: 18)
      >
      > SCA requirements of wooden shafts, feather fletches
      > and a point that
      > does not destroy the target. I buddy has some of
      > the 3rivers
      > hunters and likes them a lot. For length simply put
      > both hands
      > straight out from your chest, palm to palm. Measure
      > from the center
      > of your chest out to the tips of your fingers and
      > this is your draw
      > length. I like my arrows about 2 inches longer. If
      > I break a point
      > off I can repoint the shaft.

      Be careful when doing this. If you buy a bow with a
      maximum draw length of 28", then you will need arrows
      cut for this length bow. If you have a longer draw
      length, then get the appropriate draw length bow.
      Don't try to force a shorter draw bow. The way you
      shoot will also impact your draw length. People
      accustomed to compounds tend to draw to or behind the
      ear. People used to longbows seem more likely to draw
      to the corner of the mouth. This, obviously, makes a
      big difference in your draw length and the length bow
      you will need

      I would also recommend that you not add the extra 2"
      to the arrows until you are more experienced and know
      your draw point. With the extra inch or two, you are
      more likely to overdraw until your form settles down a
      bit more. Once you have your draw set, then the
      longer shafts wouldn't be an issue.

      Congrats on getting started and good luck.

      Cuan mac Niall

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • ladyscribe07
      Message 86 of 86 , May 24 3:56 AM
        Thanks for letting me know. The seller assures me there are no
        cracks and I will have someone else check it over too. I belong to
        and local archery club so someone there should be able to notice.
        And I will check it over myself too.

        Thanks,

        Eleanor

        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Lauderdale"

> [...]