Getting started in Archery

  • Jim Engebretson
    Message 1 of 86 , Apr 25, 2007
      The recent collegium's "Fletch-In" was very informative. A special
      note of thanks goes to Elwig for his infinite patience and wealth of
      knowledge. It's my understanding that different barony's have target
      practice and even a basic archery class once a week or perhaps twice a
      month.

      I'm 5'11" tall, right eye dominant and consider a 30 to 35# bow more
      than sufficient.

      Note: A preliminary archery class is important so you learn the proper
      form for you to shoot consistently.

      Please reply with recommendations and preferences on equipment.

      Items needed (unless otherwise noted from
      http://www.3riversarchery.com/) are:

      1. Bow
      Buckeye Takedown Recurve $110.00
      Made in Italy 62" long. Available in 20# up to 35#. (measured at 28")
      Specify right or left hand.
      (I heard that it comes with bowstring and string nock(s)
      http://www.nwarchery.com

      2. Wooden arrows (qty: 18)
      You need your draw length measured; probably done when you take a
      class. Either buy the arrows (3Rivers Hunters Arrows) or make them.
      Including: shields (turkey feathers), Port Orford cedar shafts, Steel
      Field points, Classic nocks, paint and stain.

      3. Flemish Bow string jig and supplies

      4. Glove - Wyandotte Open End Glove
      Don't you need two gloves?

      5. Leather Recurve Tip Protector $5

      6. Longbow and Recuver Bow Stringer $11

      7. Leather Bow Saddle $3

      8. Arm Guard $10 to $26

      9. Quiver
      Field Back Quiver Kit $45

      10. Kathy Kelly T/D Longbow Case $51

      What details or items did I miss? Thank you in advance.

      Ailill
    • ladyscribe07
      Message 86 of 86 , May 24, 2007
        Thanks for letting me know. The seller assures me there are no
        cracks and I will have someone else check it over too. I belong to
        and local archery club so someone there should be able to notice.
        And I will check it over myself too.

        Thanks,

        Eleanor

        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Lauderdale"

> [...]