Re: New "Mail In Tournament"

  • Frederick Fenters
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 2, 2007
      Sir Jon, you are correct that the width is 4 inches.

      Domingos, I wish I could, but no digital camera. Let me try one more time,
      using the space bar instead of the tab key;

      **

      **

      **

      **

      **********

      **********

      **

      **

      **

      **

      Crossing my fingers,

      Padraig

    • Frederick Fenters
      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 3, 2007
        I have come to the conclusion that it is Yahell taking away the spaces
        leading the pic of the vertical bar. I will see wat else I can do.

        Padraig

      • George Bottorf
        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 8, 2007
          Good Morrow to thee, Lord Padraigh. Very good idea for the shoot. I really like the battle slit. Very challenging. It can be put anywhere in the verticle. High position or low? 20ft. up might be a bit much tho! Or on the ground for a lower position on wall. Depends on range set-up. Always different. BTW, where do we send the scores? Curious minds must know. YIS, Ld. Abner de Plunkett. West Kingdom.

          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 9, 2007
            The address to send scores to is:

            Frederick Fenters

            637 Prairie St

            Charlotte, MI 48813

            e-mail: Padraig@...

            Please include "Fenris Shoot" in your subject line to assure that I do not
            accidentally discard someone's scores from an unfamiliar address. I have
            trouble getting to the computer some days between the on-line gamers and the
            5 year old.

            Padraig

          • Rusty McMillan
            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 18, 2007
              I have attempted to create a drawing of the target you have been
              describing for this shoot; please check out the file I've posted,
              Fenri's Challenge 2000.tif, and let me know if it is accurate.

              Randal

              --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Frederick Fenters" <padraig@...>
              wrote:

              > The address to send scores to is:
              >

              > Frederick Fenters
              >
              > 637 Prairie St
              >
              > Charlotte, MI 48813
              >
              > e-mail: Padraig@...
              >

              > Please include "Fenris Shoot" in your subject line to assure that I
              do not
              > accidentally discard someone's scores from an unfamiliar address.
              I have
              > trouble getting to the computer some days between the on-line
              gamers and the
              > 5 year old.
              >

              > Padraig

            • Frederick Fenters
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 22, 2007
                Many thanks! That is exactly what I meant.

                Padraig

              • Bill Brown
                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 23, 2007
                  All I could see was ANSII characters.maybe it is the tiff format. I could
                  open it if you sent it to me directly.

                  Thanks

                  Domingos

                  _____

                  --- In SCA-Archery@ <mailto:SCA-Archery%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com,
                  "Frederick Fenters" <padraig@...>
                  wrote:

                  > The address to send scores to is:
                  >

                  > Frederick Fenters
                  >
                  > 637 Prairie St
                  >
                  > Charlotte, MI 48813
                  >
                  > e-mail: Padraig@...
                  >

                  > Please include "Fenris Shoot" in your subject line to assure that I
                  do not
                  > accidentally discard someone's scores from an unfamiliar address.
                  I have
                  > trouble getting to the computer some days between the on-line
                  gamers and the
                  > 5 year old.
                  >

                  > Padraig

                • Fritz
                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 23, 2007
                    When Bill Brown put fingers to keys it was 4/23/07 7:58 AM...

                    > All I could see was ANSII characters.maybe it is the tiff format. I could
                    > open it if you sent it to me directly.

                    Click and hold (mac) or click-right (win) and download the file and view
                    it with whatever you've got that reads TIFs.

                    Perhaps it should be re-posted as a JPG anyway. I opened it in Photoshop
                    and it comes up as having non-square pixels.

                    Anyway, maybe this'll do:
                    http://c-76-19-175-241.hsd1.ma.comcast.net/FenrisChallenge2007.jpg

                    --
                    Fritz
                    Aut inveniam viam aut faciam.
                    Message 9 of 23 , Apr 23, 2007
                      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Brown" <stickbow@...> wrote:

                      > All I could see was ANSII characters.maybe it is the tiff format. I
                      could
                      > open it if you sent it to me directly.
                      >
                      > Thanks
                      >
                      > Domingos

                      It's prossible you could open the tiff (depending on your OS and/or
                      other image software). I just uploaded a .gif version of the image to
                      the files area, so your browser won't have any problems viewing it.
                    • Mark R. Miller
                      Message 10 of 23 , Apr 24, 2007
                        I'm sorry if I'm dense, but let me see if I got this format right.

                        I go out one day, practice as much as I want and then declare I am
                        going to start the round. I hit 8 out of 10 at 10 yards, so my score
                        is 8 and I'm done for the day.

                        The next day I go out, practice, then declare the start, shoot 10 out
                        or 10 at 10 yards, move back to 20 yards and get a 3 out of 10. I
                        have a score of 13 and am done for the day.

                        The next day I go out, practice at any range I want, then declare a
                        start and start at 20 yards, get 8 out of 10, my score is 18 and I am
                        done for the day.

                        And so on.

                        Does this sound correct?

                        Want to make sure I have it right.

                        Lord Ryan of Rickford, Shire of al-Sahid, Caid
                      • Lord Caedmon Wilson
                        Message 11 of 23 , Apr 24, 2007
                          > Does this sound correct?

                          Your example is very correct.

                          --
                          Lord Caedmon Wilson

                          Oaken Region Youth Combat Marshal
                          Oaken Region Thrown Weapon Champion

                          Leather Armor at Blacktower Enterprises
                          http://www.paragonkeep.com/BTE.html
                        • Fritz
                          Message 12 of 23 , Apr 24, 2007
                            When Mark R. Miller put fingers to keys it was 4/24/07 1:18 PM...

                            > I'm sorry if I'm dense, but let me see if I got this format right.
                            >
                            > I go out one day, practice as much as I want and then declare I am
                            > going to start the round. I hit 8 out of 10 at 10 yards, so my score
                            > is 8 and I'm done for the day.
                            >
                            > The next day I go out, practice, then declare the start, shoot 10 out
                            > or 10 at 10 yards, move back to 20 yards and get a 3 out of 10. I
                            > have a score of 13 and am done for the day.
                            >
                            > The next day I go out, practice at any range I want, then declare a
                            > start and start at 20 yards, get 8 out of 10, my score is 18 and I am
                            > done for the day.
                            >
                            > And so on.
                            >
                            > Does this sound correct?

                            Hmmm... my impression is that you may shoot as many flights of ten as
                            you like in a day, progressing backwards as you get ten in at each
                            distance. No per-day or declaration constraints on shooting are given.

                            From the original posting:
                            > ... The archer starts out
                            > standing 10 yards from the target and shoots a flight of 10 arrows. Once a
                            > "perfect 10" is scored, the archer progresses back to 20 yards. Score is
                            > the total of hits on target up to the present position. For example, s
                            > person posting a score of 11 has shot the required perfect round at 10 yards
                            > and hit 1 in the flight at 20 yards. Once one has run that "perfect 10" at
                            > a given distance, he/she/it/they need not shoot that distance again for the
                            > rest of the season. Explaination: once you hit 10/10 at 10 yards, you
                            > progress to 20 yards and start each time at 20 yards for score. You may
                            > shoot the shorter distances for practice, but once you have scored 10/10 at
                            > a given distance, no further score at that distance need be submitted. A
                            > score of 55 means that the archer has managed that "perfect 10" at 10, 20,
                            > 30, 40, and 50 yards and has hit 5 of 10 at 60 yards.

                            and

                            > You may submit one score per person per day.

                            Which I take to mean your cumulative score at the end of the day.

                            Message 13 of 23 , Apr 24, 2007
                              So if I have already done 10 & 20 yards, and come out one day and start
                              at 30 yards, shoot 10 arrows, don't make it, shoot another 10, don't
                              make it, shoot another 10 and this time make it; I can then move back
                              to 40 yards and continue shooting?

                              I don't have to declare ahead of time that the next ten I shoot are for
                              score? I just can't start shooting and on my 4 arrow miss and then
                              start over again. I should been shooting a full round of 10 no matter
                              what?

                              Ryan
                            • Bill Brown
                              Message 14 of 23 , Apr 24, 2007
                                Hummm, I see your point (no pun intended).

                                Domingos

                                _____

                                Message 15 of 23 , Apr 25, 2007
                                  When Mark R. Miller put fingers to keys it was 4/24/07 6:40 PM...

                                  > So if I have already done 10 & 20 yards, and come out one day and start
                                  > at 30 yards, shoot 10 arrows, don't make it, shoot another 10, don't
                                  > make it, shoot another 10 and this time make it; I can then move back
                                  > to 40 yards and continue shooting?
                                  >
                                  > I don't have to declare ahead of time that the next ten I shoot are for
                                  > score? I just can't start shooting and on my 4 arrow miss and then
                                  > start over again. I should been shooting a full round of 10 no matter
                                  > what?

                                  The rules are not specific about that (that I can see) but the real
                                  object of all of this is to become a better archer. Toward that end I
                                  say shoot the full set of ten every time.

                                  If you are missing now and again, your skill needs work, work on it. The
                                  test in this shoot is whether you can intentionally put ten consecutive
                                  arrows where you want them.

                                  If you were to just start over every time you missed too many to improve
                                  your score, part of what you were testing would be your luck instead of
                                  your skill.

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Apr 25, 2007
                                    Remember, above all, the spirit of the rules, not the letter. These
                                    particular archery challenges (wreath, window, stump, etc) were meant
                                    as a challenge and to bring a little fun back to the range. There is
                                    no prize, just a hardy hand-shake for a job well-done when you finally
                                    defeat a distance that was giving you fits.

                                    Archery is more about self-realization that any reward another person
                                    can give you. Your toughest critic will often be yourself. Seeking
                                    the perfection of your own form is the ultimate goal.

                                    -Caedmon
                                  • Mark R. Miller
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Apr 25, 2007
                                      Oh, I agree about the notion that this is really competing with
                                      yourself, but some people are competative for their own reasons and I
                                      just want a level playing field.

                                      (I am sooooo out of practice that I will be stuck at 10 yards for quite
                                      a while... but when I do get to move to 20 and maybe 30, it WILL be a
                                      personal triumph.)

                                      Looking forward to doing this.

                                      Ryan
                                    • Frederick Fenters
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Apr 26, 2007
                                        The way I ran Caedmon's shoot in the past and the way I anticipate others
                                        running mine is that one must declare that the flight is for score. You may
                                        attempt multiple flights at a given distance, but must declare "this flight
                                        is for score" before counting it.

                                        If you do shoot multiple flights at a given range, please report all "for
                                        score" flights. As Fritz noted, we are looking for skill, not luck. A
                                        couple of 8 or 9 rounds before scoring a 10 means that you are showing
                                        skill.

                                        Clear as mud? Good. Caedmon is also very correct in that this is intended
                                        to be fun as well as allowing a comparison.

                                        Padraig