Re: [SCA-Archery] Re:New "Mail In Tournament"

  • John Edgerton
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 1, 2007
      So ... the vertical and horizontal arms are 4 inches wide. Right?

      Jon

      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 1, 2007
        Any chance you could make on and take a pic of it.I am trying but I just
        cant picture it.lol

        Domingos

        _____

        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 2, 2007
          It's a big plus sign, or a cross.

          - Istvan

          > Any chance you could make on and take a pic of it.I am trying but I just
          > cant picture it.lol
          >

          > Domingos
          >

          > _____

        • Frederick Fenters
          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 2, 2007
            Sir Jon, you are correct that the width is 4 inches.

            Domingos, I wish I could, but no digital camera. Let me try one more time,
            using the space bar instead of the tab key;

            **

            **

            **

            **

            **********

            **********

            **

            **

            **

            **

            Crossing my fingers,

            Padraig

          • Frederick Fenters
            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 3, 2007
              I have come to the conclusion that it is Yahell taking away the spaces
              leading the pic of the vertical bar. I will see wat else I can do.

              Padraig

            • George Bottorf
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 8, 2007
                Good Morrow to thee, Lord Padraigh. Very good idea for the shoot. I really like the battle slit. Very challenging. It can be put anywhere in the verticle. High position or low? 20ft. up might be a bit much tho! Or on the ground for a lower position on wall. Depends on range set-up. Always different. BTW, where do we send the scores? Curious minds must know. YIS, Ld. Abner de Plunkett. West Kingdom.

                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 9, 2007
                  The address to send scores to is:

                  Frederick Fenters

                  637 Prairie St

                  Charlotte, MI 48813

                  e-mail: Padraig@...

                  Please include "Fenris Shoot" in your subject line to assure that I do not
                  accidentally discard someone's scores from an unfamiliar address. I have
                  trouble getting to the computer some days between the on-line gamers and the
                  5 year old.

                  Padraig

                • Rusty McMillan
                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 18, 2007
                    I have attempted to create a drawing of the target you have been
                    describing for this shoot; please check out the file I've posted,
                    Fenri's Challenge 2000.tif, and let me know if it is accurate.

                    Randal

                    --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Frederick Fenters" <padraig@...>
                    wrote:

                    > The address to send scores to is:
                    >

                    > Frederick Fenters
                    >
                    > 637 Prairie St
                    >
                    > Charlotte, MI 48813
                    >
                    > e-mail: Padraig@...
                    >

                    > Please include "Fenris Shoot" in your subject line to assure that I
                    do not
                    > accidentally discard someone's scores from an unfamiliar address.
                    I have
                    > trouble getting to the computer some days between the on-line
                    gamers and the
                    > 5 year old.
                    >

                    > Padraig

                  • Frederick Fenters
                    Message 9 of 23 , Apr 22, 2007
                      Many thanks! That is exactly what I meant.

                      Padraig

                    • Bill Brown
                      Message 10 of 23 , Apr 23, 2007
                        All I could see was ANSII characters.maybe it is the tiff format. I could
                        open it if you sent it to me directly.

                        Thanks

                        Domingos

                        _____

                        --- In SCA-Archery@ <mailto:SCA-Archery%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com,
                        "Frederick Fenters" <padraig@...>
                        wrote:

                        > The address to send scores to is:
                        >

                        > Frederick Fenters
                        >
                        > 637 Prairie St
                        >
                        > Charlotte, MI 48813
                        >
                        > e-mail: Padraig@...
                        >

                        > Please include "Fenris Shoot" in your subject line to assure that I
                        do not
                        > accidentally discard someone's scores from an unfamiliar address.
                        I have
                        > trouble getting to the computer some days between the on-line
                        gamers and the
                        > 5 year old.
                        >

                        > Padraig

                      • Fritz
                        Message 11 of 23 , Apr 23, 2007
                          When Bill Brown put fingers to keys it was 4/23/07 7:58 AM...

                          > All I could see was ANSII characters.maybe it is the tiff format. I could
                          > open it if you sent it to me directly.

                          Click and hold (mac) or click-right (win) and download the file and view
                          it with whatever you've got that reads TIFs.

                          Perhaps it should be re-posted as a JPG anyway. I opened it in Photoshop
                          and it comes up as having non-square pixels.

                          Anyway, maybe this'll do:
                          http://c-76-19-175-241.hsd1.ma.comcast.net/FenrisChallenge2007.jpg

                          --
                          Fritz
                          Aut inveniam viam aut faciam.
                          Message 12 of 23 , Apr 23, 2007
                            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Brown" <stickbow@...> wrote:

                            > All I could see was ANSII characters.maybe it is the tiff format. I
                            could
                            > open it if you sent it to me directly.
                            >
                            > Thanks
                            >
                            > Domingos

                            It's prossible you could open the tiff (depending on your OS and/or
                            other image software). I just uploaded a .gif version of the image to
                            the files area, so your browser won't have any problems viewing it.
                          • Mark R. Miller
                            Message 13 of 23 , Apr 24, 2007
                              I'm sorry if I'm dense, but let me see if I got this format right.

                              I go out one day, practice as much as I want and then declare I am
                              going to start the round. I hit 8 out of 10 at 10 yards, so my score
                              is 8 and I'm done for the day.

                              The next day I go out, practice, then declare the start, shoot 10 out
                              or 10 at 10 yards, move back to 20 yards and get a 3 out of 10. I
                              have a score of 13 and am done for the day.

                              The next day I go out, practice at any range I want, then declare a
                              start and start at 20 yards, get 8 out of 10, my score is 18 and I am
                              done for the day.

                              And so on.

                              Does this sound correct?

                              Want to make sure I have it right.

                              Lord Ryan of Rickford, Shire of al-Sahid, Caid
                            • Lord Caedmon Wilson
                              Message 14 of 23 , Apr 24, 2007
                                > Does this sound correct?

                                Your example is very correct.

                                --
                                Lord Caedmon Wilson

                                Oaken Region Youth Combat Marshal
                                Oaken Region Thrown Weapon Champion

                                Leather Armor at Blacktower Enterprises
                                http://www.paragonkeep.com/BTE.html
                              • Fritz
                                Message 15 of 23 , Apr 24, 2007
                                  When Mark R. Miller put fingers to keys it was 4/24/07 1:18 PM...

                                  > I'm sorry if I'm dense, but let me see if I got this format right.
                                  >
                                  > I go out one day, practice as much as I want and then declare I am
                                  > going to start the round. I hit 8 out of 10 at 10 yards, so my score
                                  > is 8 and I'm done for the day.
                                  >
                                  > The next day I go out, practice, then declare the start, shoot 10 out
                                  > or 10 at 10 yards, move back to 20 yards and get a 3 out of 10. I
                                  > have a score of 13 and am done for the day.
                                  >
                                  > The next day I go out, practice at any range I want, then declare a
                                  > start and start at 20 yards, get 8 out of 10, my score is 18 and I am
                                  > done for the day.
                                  >
                                  > And so on.
                                  >
                                  > Does this sound correct?

                                  Hmmm... my impression is that you may shoot as many flights of ten as
                                  you like in a day, progressing backwards as you get ten in at each
                                  distance. No per-day or declaration constraints on shooting are given.

                                  From the original posting:
                                  > ... The archer starts out
                                  > standing 10 yards from the target and shoots a flight of 10 arrows. Once a
                                  > "perfect 10" is scored, the archer progresses back to 20 yards. Score is
                                  > the total of hits on target up to the present position. For example, s
                                  > person posting a score of 11 has shot the required perfect round at 10 yards
                                  > and hit 1 in the flight at 20 yards. Once one has run that "perfect 10" at
                                  > a given distance, he/she/it/they need not shoot that distance again for the
                                  > rest of the season. Explaination: once you hit 10/10 at 10 yards, you
                                  > progress to 20 yards and start each time at 20 yards for score. You may
                                  > shoot the shorter distances for practice, but once you have scored 10/10 at
                                  > a given distance, no further score at that distance need be submitted. A
                                  > score of 55 means that the archer has managed that "perfect 10" at 10, 20,
                                  > 30, 40, and 50 yards and has hit 5 of 10 at 60 yards.

                                  and

                                  > You may submit one score per person per day.

                                  Which I take to mean your cumulative score at the end of the day.

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Apr 24, 2007
                                    So if I have already done 10 & 20 yards, and come out one day and start
                                    at 30 yards, shoot 10 arrows, don't make it, shoot another 10, don't
                                    make it, shoot another 10 and this time make it; I can then move back
                                    to 40 yards and continue shooting?

                                    I don't have to declare ahead of time that the next ten I shoot are for
                                    score? I just can't start shooting and on my 4 arrow miss and then
                                    start over again. I should been shooting a full round of 10 no matter
                                    what?

                                    Ryan
                                  • Bill Brown
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Apr 24, 2007
                                      Hummm, I see your point (no pun intended).

                                      Domingos

                                      _____

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Apr 25, 2007
                                        When Mark R. Miller put fingers to keys it was 4/24/07 6:40 PM...

                                        > So if I have already done 10 & 20 yards, and come out one day and start
                                        > at 30 yards, shoot 10 arrows, don't make it, shoot another 10, don't
                                        > make it, shoot another 10 and this time make it; I can then move back
                                        > to 40 yards and continue shooting?
                                        >
                                        > I don't have to declare ahead of time that the next ten I shoot are for
                                        > score? I just can't start shooting and on my 4 arrow miss and then
                                        > start over again. I should been shooting a full round of 10 no matter
                                        > what?

                                        The rules are not specific about that (that I can see) but the real
                                        object of all of this is to become a better archer. Toward that end I
                                        say shoot the full set of ten every time.

                                        If you are missing now and again, your skill needs work, work on it. The
                                        test in this shoot is whether you can intentionally put ten consecutive
                                        arrows where you want them.

                                        If you were to just start over every time you missed too many to improve
                                        your score, part of what you were testing would be your luck instead of
                                        your skill.

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Apr 25, 2007
                                          Remember, above all, the spirit of the rules, not the letter. These
                                          particular archery challenges (wreath, window, stump, etc) were meant
                                          as a challenge and to bring a little fun back to the range. There is
                                          no prize, just a hardy hand-shake for a job well-done when you finally
                                          defeat a distance that was giving you fits.

                                          Archery is more about self-realization that any reward another person
                                          can give you. Your toughest critic will often be yourself. Seeking
                                          the perfection of your own form is the ultimate goal.

                                          -Caedmon
                                        • Mark R. Miller
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Apr 25, 2007
                                            Oh, I agree about the notion that this is really competing with
                                            yourself, but some people are competative for their own reasons and I
                                            just want a level playing field.

                                            (I am sooooo out of practice that I will be stuck at 10 yards for quite
                                            a while... but when I do get to move to 20 and maybe 30, it WILL be a
                                            personal triumph.)

                                            Looking forward to doing this.

                                            Ryan
                                          • Frederick Fenters
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Apr 26, 2007
                                              The way I ran Caedmon's shoot in the past and the way I anticipate others
                                              running mine is that one must declare that the flight is for score. You may
                                              attempt multiple flights at a given distance, but must declare "this flight
                                              is for score" before counting it.

                                              If you do shoot multiple flights at a given range, please report all "for
                                              score" flights. As Fritz noted, we are looking for skill, not luck. A
                                              couple of 8 or 9 rounds before scoring a 10 means that you are showing
                                              skill.

                                              Clear as mud? Good. Caedmon is also very correct in that this is intended
                                              to be fun as well as allowing a comparison.

                                              Padraig