Looking for Horseback Archers in Meridies

  • Jennifer
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 1, 2007
      Hello,
      My name is Jennifer (have not picked out my SCA name yet)and I am
      obviously new to the SCA. My husband was very involved before we got
      married, and now that we have moved back to his old stomping grounds,
      and our youngest is 3 years old, we are finally getting back into the
      swing of things.

      Anyway, I have decided on a Sarmatian persona. I am completely
      fascinated by this culture. I went searching for a Horse culture,
      because of my love of riding (I am also a beginner at that, but
      taking lessons) and I had remembered the Sarmatians (luckily my
      father was a History teacher...so I have some knowledge :) The more I
      found out the more I knew I was going to love participating in the
      SCA because I finally found a culture that I just love.

      It will be a while before I am a good enough rider to participate in
      Horseback Archery, but; nonetheless, I would like to get in touch
      with people near me who do it now. I live in Buford, Ga., in the
      Kingdom of Meridies. Does anyone know of anyone in my neck of the
      woods who does Horseback Archery?

      Any help would be greatly appreciated!

      Jennifer
    • James W. Pratt, Jr.
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 1, 2007
        It ws done almost every day at Gulf War.

        James Cunningham
        Gulf War Falconer

        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 1, 2007
          I'm new also. Just joined the SCA...two days ago. Also looking at a steppe tribe to persona in. Haven't gotten horses yet (hopefully this year!)
          Been looking at the 600 to 800 time period. Was thinking of the Alans myself.

          Good to know others are looking beyond the Mongols.

          Jim in Az
          -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
          The real work of men was hunting meat. The invention of agriculture was a giant step in the wrong direction, leading to serfdom, cities, and empire. From a race of hunters, artists, warriors, and tamers of horses, we degraded ourselves to what we are now: clerks, functionaries, laborers, entertainers, processors of information.- Ed Abbey
          -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 2, 2007
            Hello fellow horseback archers,

            My name is Hilary and I reside in Trimaris. I grew up with horses and so
            am approaching HBA from a different direction. I am a competant rider
            but must hone my archery skills. It is an exciting sport and I am
            pleased to see interest in it grow. Our Kingdom also did a demo last
            year with Archers shooting from carriages. Everyone had a blast. There
            are a few other yahoo!groups that you may want to join.

            The first is the HorseArchery
            <http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/HorseArchery/> group. They
            "discuss both the historical aspects of horse archery and its practice
            in modern times, either as a recreation or just for fun !"

            This group is not specifically geared for SCAdians but rather on all
            aspects of HBA. There are SCA members on this list but also folks who
            compete mundanely.

            The second group is the MeridianCavalry
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MeridianCavalry/> . "It is the
            un-official Meridian Equestrian College mailing list. This list is an
            information clearing house for the College to keep members updated on
            events, practices, rules and changes, and general information."

            This group focuses on all aspects of equestrian activities of the middle
            ages including Heavy Mounted Combat and Jousting. The Kingdom Equestrian
            Officer is a member of this list and he will surely be able to help you
            contact equestrians in your Kingdom with similar interests.

            If you have anymore questions please ask, I'll do my best to answer
            them.

            Hilary

          • Luigi Kapaj
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 2, 2007
              > live in Buford, Ga., in the Kingdom of Meridies. Does anyone
              > know of anyone in my neck of the woods who does Horseback Archery?

              I knew a few horsearchers from Georgia when I took my lessons from Kassai
              but haven't stayed in touch with them. You should sign onto the HorseArchery
              Yahoo group, and ask around there:

              Puppy
              http://www.NYCMongol.com
            • Jennifer
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 2, 2007
                Thank you for all of your replies.

                Hilary...I have just asked to join both of the yahoo groups you
                mentioned. Thank you for the advice.

                Jim...as far as horses go..have you heard of the Akhal-Teke breed...I
                am now obsessed, but essentially, the are an ancient horse breed that
                originated from the Eurasian Steppes...they are rare, and do very
                well at Endurance, etc. I am currently taking lessons and leasing a
                17h Friesan/Percheron/Saddlebred cross (looks just like a purebred
                Friesan, black with feathers :)but in 2.5 years or so, I plan to buy
                myself an Akhal-Teke.

                Anyway, thank you again for all the advice, and I also appreciate
                whatever other information anyone else has to offer.

                Have a great day!

                God Bless.

                Jennifer

                =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
                =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
                =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
                =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

              • Jim
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 2, 2007
                  Akhal-Tekes...ooooo yes. I wanted one badly for a long time...until I found out how short they are. :( My feet would scrape the ground riding one of them guys.
                  I'm debating on whether or not to adopt a mustang. But then I have to find someone who will gentle it for me. What I'll probably end up doing is going down to the Livestock auctions in Phoenix and finding a horse there. I know someone who does this regularly, cleans up the horse and sells it for twice what she paid.

                  The Friesian cross sounds beautiful...I'm jealous.
                  -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

                  =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
                  =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
                  =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
                  =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

                • DONNA DEBONIS,DVM
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 2, 2007
                    Greetings from Donwenna LaMareschale, Deputy to the Society Equestrian
                    Officer,
                    I am not sure if you knew, but there is a very active Equestrian
                    community in Meridies and I would suggest that you join their Equestrian
                    Email list and see if any other horseback archers are hanging out on it.
                    Here is the Kingdom Equestrian websites :
                    http://www.sca.org/officers/equestrian/keo.html

                    Donwenna

                    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
                    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
                    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-
                    -=-=-=-=-=-=-

                    --- In SCA-Archery@ <mailto:SCA-Archery%40yahoogroups.com>

                    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
                    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
                    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
                    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

                  • Jennifer
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 5, 2007
                      Hi Jim,
                      When I look at Akhal-Teke ads, they refer to one that is 15.2h
                      being "short" for an Akhal-Teke, and there are a lot that are
                      16h...so :) Go to www.equine.com and do a search on them. I had a
                      beautiful Grulla Mustang Gelding myself :) His name is Reno, because
                      they caught him in Nv. and sold him out of Reno, and that is where I
                      was born and raised :)

                      =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
                      =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
                      =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

                      Meridies

                      > Thank you for all of your replies.
                      >
                      > Hilary...I have just asked to join both of the yahoo groups you
                      > mentioned. Thank you for the advice.
                      >
                      > Jim...as far as horses go..have you heard of the Akhal-Teke
                      breed...I
                      > am now obsessed, but essentially, the are an ancient horse breed
                      that
                      > originated from the Eurasian Steppes...they are rare, and do
                      very
                      > well at Endurance, etc. I am currently taking lessons and
                      leasing a
                      > 17h Friesan/Percheron/Saddlebred cross (looks just like a
                      purebred
                      > Friesan, black with feathers :)but in 2.5 years or so, I plan to
                      buy
                      > myself an Akhal-Teke.
                      >
                      > Anyway, thank you again for all the advice, and I also
                      appreciate
                      > whatever other information anyone else has to offer.
                      >
                      > Have a great day!
                      >
                      > God Bless.
                      >
                      > Jennifer
                      >
                      > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Jim" <jim@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I'm new also. Just joined the SCA...two days ago. Also looking
                      at a
                      > steppe tribe to persona in. Haven't gotten horses yet (hopefully
                      this
                      > year!)
                      > > Been looking at the 600 to 800 time period. Was thinking of
                      the
                      > Alans myself.
                      > >
                      > > Good to know others are looking beyond the Mongols.
                      > >
                      > > Jim in Az
                      > > -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
                      =-=-
                      > =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
                      =-=-
                      > =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
                      > > The real work of men was hunting meat. The invention of
                      agriculture
                      > was a giant step in the wrong direction, leading to serfdom,
                      cities,
                      > and empire. From a race of hunters, artists, warriors, and
                      tamers of
                      > horses, we degraded ourselves to what we are now: clerks,
                      > functionaries, laborers, entertainers, processors of
                      information.- Ed
                      > Abbey
                      > > -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
                      =-=-
                      > =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
                      =-=-=-
                      > =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

                    • Jennifer
                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 5, 2007
                        Thank you. Sorry everyone that I didn't reply quickly. I had to fly
                        up to Boise, Idaho (from Georgia) My Grandmother is probably going
                        to pass away anytime.....and we are very close. I will be slow to
                        reply for the remainder of my visit...I leave Tues. 4/10.

                        Jennifer

                        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "DONNA DEBONIS,DVM"

                        Archery@yahoogroups.com]
                        > On Behalf Of Jim