New "Mail In Tournament"

  • Frederick Fenters
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 31 9:03 PM
      I probably will kick myself for this when the scores start coming in and I
      have to build a website, but I am taking up where the Unicorn Challenge, run
      by Lord Caedmon Wilson left off. The season starts now and ends September
      30.

      Fenri's Challenge is the new game in town. I will use the same scoring
      format that worked so well in the Unicorn Challenge. The archer starts out
      standing 10 yards from the target and shoots a flight of 10 arrows. Once a
      "perfect 10" is scored, the archer progresses back to 20 yards. Score is
      the total of hits on target up to the present position. For example, s
      person posting a score of 11 has shot the required perfect round at 10 yards
      and hit 1 in the flight at 20 yards. Once one has run that "perfect 10" at
      a given distance, he/she/it/they need not shoot that distance again for the
      rest of the season. Explaination: once you hit 10/10 at 10 yards, you
      progress to 20 yards and start each time at 20 yards for score. You may
      shoot the shorter distances for practice, but once you have scored 10/10 at
      a given distance, no further score at that distance need be submitted. A
      score of 55 means that the archer has managed that "perfect 10" at 10, 20,
      30, 40, and 50 yards and has hit 5 of 10 at 60 yards.

      Now for the fun part: the Target.

      Based on pictures I have seen of British castles and the ones I visited in
      Germany when my "rich Uncle Sam" paid for my 3 year trip, I wish to use a
      semi-cruciform slot for our target this year. What do you mean, you ask.
      I'm glad you asked. Prepare for some horrid ascii art.

      **

      **

      **

      **

      **

      ************

      ************

      **

      **

      **

      **

      **

      Each line of stars represents a piece of duct tape in the standard U.S. 2
      inch dimension. Canadians get no bonus for metric tape because it's my game
      and I said so. (provincial attitude ain't it) :-)

      The vertical arms total 36 inches (91.44 cm) (Don't say I am not helpful to
      you folks trapped by the ice and snow) BTW, that means the arm going up and
      down :-) the horizontal arm is centered from top to bottom and is 12 inches
      (30.5 cm) wide.

      Any arrow that hits any portion of the cruciform slot is counted as a hit.
      Edge shots go to the archer. Make sure the top and bottom of the vertical
      and the left and right ends of the horizontal are clean lines.

      You may submit one score per person per day. We're on the honor system
      here, so I am going to take your word. If I start getting a bunch of scores
      of 151 or so, I am going to get doubtful and you may give me an excuse for a
      road trip or to "sic" another marshal on you to prove your score.

      Now get out there and put holes in things!

      Forester Padraig MacRaighne

    • Frederick Fenters
      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 1, 2007
        The art did not come out on the lists the way I meant it to do. Picture a
        lower case "T" the way we were taught in first grade. Place the crossbar
        halfway down the upright and centered left to right. That's the target.
        Two widths of duct tape for each arm.

        I hope that clarifies any confusion.

        Padraig

      • John Edgerton
        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 1, 2007
          So ... the vertical and horizontal arms are 4 inches wide. Right?

          Jon

          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 1, 2007
            Any chance you could make on and take a pic of it.I am trying but I just
            cant picture it.lol

            Domingos

            _____

            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 2, 2007
              It's a big plus sign, or a cross.

              - Istvan

              > Any chance you could make on and take a pic of it.I am trying but I just
              > cant picture it.lol
              >

              > Domingos
              >

              > _____

            • Frederick Fenters
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 2, 2007
                Sir Jon, you are correct that the width is 4 inches.

                Domingos, I wish I could, but no digital camera. Let me try one more time,
                using the space bar instead of the tab key;

                **

                **

                **

                **

                **********

                **********

                **

                **

                **

                **

                Crossing my fingers,

                Padraig

              • Frederick Fenters
                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 3, 2007
                  I have come to the conclusion that it is Yahell taking away the spaces
                  leading the pic of the vertical bar. I will see wat else I can do.

                  Padraig

                • George Bottorf
                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 8, 2007
                    Good Morrow to thee, Lord Padraigh. Very good idea for the shoot. I really like the battle slit. Very challenging. It can be put anywhere in the verticle. High position or low? 20ft. up might be a bit much tho! Or on the ground for a lower position on wall. Depends on range set-up. Always different. BTW, where do we send the scores? Curious minds must know. YIS, Ld. Abner de Plunkett. West Kingdom.

                    Message 9 of 23 , Apr 9, 2007
                      The address to send scores to is:

                      Frederick Fenters

                      637 Prairie St

                      Charlotte, MI 48813

                      e-mail: Padraig@...

                      Please include "Fenris Shoot" in your subject line to assure that I do not
                      accidentally discard someone's scores from an unfamiliar address. I have
                      trouble getting to the computer some days between the on-line gamers and the
                      5 year old.

                      Padraig

                    • Rusty McMillan
                      Message 10 of 23 , Apr 18, 2007
                        I have attempted to create a drawing of the target you have been
                        describing for this shoot; please check out the file I've posted,
                        Fenri's Challenge 2000.tif, and let me know if it is accurate.

                        Randal

                        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Frederick Fenters" <padraig@...>
                        wrote:

                        > The address to send scores to is:
                        >

                        > Frederick Fenters
                        >
                        > 637 Prairie St
                        >
                        > Charlotte, MI 48813
                        >
                        > e-mail: Padraig@...
                        >

                        > Please include "Fenris Shoot" in your subject line to assure that I
                        do not
                        > accidentally discard someone's scores from an unfamiliar address.
                        I have
                        > trouble getting to the computer some days between the on-line
                        gamers and the
                        > 5 year old.
                        >

                        > Padraig

                      • Frederick Fenters
                        Message 11 of 23 , Apr 22, 2007
                          Many thanks! That is exactly what I meant.

                          Padraig

                        • Bill Brown
                          Message 12 of 23 , Apr 23, 2007
                            All I could see was ANSII characters.maybe it is the tiff format. I could
                            open it if you sent it to me directly.

                            Thanks

                            Domingos

                            _____

                            --- In SCA-Archery@ <mailto:SCA-Archery%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com,
                            "Frederick Fenters" <padraig@...>
                            wrote:

                            > The address to send scores to is:
                            >

                            > Frederick Fenters
                            >
                            > 637 Prairie St
                            >
                            > Charlotte, MI 48813
                            >
                            > e-mail: Padraig@...
                            >

                            > Please include "Fenris Shoot" in your subject line to assure that I
                            do not
                            > accidentally discard someone's scores from an unfamiliar address.
                            I have
                            > trouble getting to the computer some days between the on-line
                            gamers and the
                            > 5 year old.
                            >

                            > Padraig

                          • Fritz
                            Message 13 of 23 , Apr 23, 2007
                              When Bill Brown put fingers to keys it was 4/23/07 7:58 AM...

                              > All I could see was ANSII characters.maybe it is the tiff format. I could
                              > open it if you sent it to me directly.

                              Click and hold (mac) or click-right (win) and download the file and view
                              it with whatever you've got that reads TIFs.

                              Perhaps it should be re-posted as a JPG anyway. I opened it in Photoshop
                              and it comes up as having non-square pixels.

                              Anyway, maybe this'll do:
                              http://c-76-19-175-241.hsd1.ma.comcast.net/FenrisChallenge2007.jpg

                              --
                              Fritz
                              Aut inveniam viam aut faciam.
                              Message 14 of 23 , Apr 23, 2007
                                --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Brown" <stickbow@...> wrote:

                                > All I could see was ANSII characters.maybe it is the tiff format. I
                                could
                                > open it if you sent it to me directly.
                                >
                                > Thanks
                                >
                                > Domingos

                                It's prossible you could open the tiff (depending on your OS and/or
                                other image software). I just uploaded a .gif version of the image to
                                the files area, so your browser won't have any problems viewing it.
                              • Mark R. Miller
                                Message 15 of 23 , Apr 24, 2007
                                  I'm sorry if I'm dense, but let me see if I got this format right.

                                  I go out one day, practice as much as I want and then declare I am
                                  going to start the round. I hit 8 out of 10 at 10 yards, so my score
                                  is 8 and I'm done for the day.

                                  The next day I go out, practice, then declare the start, shoot 10 out
                                  or 10 at 10 yards, move back to 20 yards and get a 3 out of 10. I
                                  have a score of 13 and am done for the day.

                                  The next day I go out, practice at any range I want, then declare a
                                  start and start at 20 yards, get 8 out of 10, my score is 18 and I am
                                  done for the day.

                                  And so on.

                                  Does this sound correct?

                                  Want to make sure I have it right.

                                  Lord Ryan of Rickford, Shire of al-Sahid, Caid
                                • Lord Caedmon Wilson
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Apr 24, 2007
                                    > Does this sound correct?

                                    Your example is very correct.

                                    --
                                    Lord Caedmon Wilson

                                    Oaken Region Youth Combat Marshal
                                    Oaken Region Thrown Weapon Champion

                                    Leather Armor at Blacktower Enterprises
                                    http://www.paragonkeep.com/BTE.html
                                  • Fritz
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Apr 24, 2007
                                      When Mark R. Miller put fingers to keys it was 4/24/07 1:18 PM...

                                      > I'm sorry if I'm dense, but let me see if I got this format right.
                                      >
                                      > I go out one day, practice as much as I want and then declare I am
                                      > going to start the round. I hit 8 out of 10 at 10 yards, so my score
                                      > is 8 and I'm done for the day.
                                      >
                                      > The next day I go out, practice, then declare the start, shoot 10 out
                                      > or 10 at 10 yards, move back to 20 yards and get a 3 out of 10. I
                                      > have a score of 13 and am done for the day.
                                      >
                                      > The next day I go out, practice at any range I want, then declare a
                                      > start and start at 20 yards, get 8 out of 10, my score is 18 and I am
                                      > done for the day.
                                      >
                                      > And so on.
                                      >
                                      > Does this sound correct?

                                      Hmmm... my impression is that you may shoot as many flights of ten as
                                      you like in a day, progressing backwards as you get ten in at each
                                      distance. No per-day or declaration constraints on shooting are given.

                                      From the original posting:
                                      > ... The archer starts out
                                      > standing 10 yards from the target and shoots a flight of 10 arrows. Once a
                                      > "perfect 10" is scored, the archer progresses back to 20 yards. Score is
                                      > the total of hits on target up to the present position. For example, s
                                      > person posting a score of 11 has shot the required perfect round at 10 yards
                                      > and hit 1 in the flight at 20 yards. Once one has run that "perfect 10" at
                                      > a given distance, he/she/it/they need not shoot that distance again for the
                                      > rest of the season. Explaination: once you hit 10/10 at 10 yards, you
                                      > progress to 20 yards and start each time at 20 yards for score. You may
                                      > shoot the shorter distances for practice, but once you have scored 10/10 at
                                      > a given distance, no further score at that distance need be submitted. A
                                      > score of 55 means that the archer has managed that "perfect 10" at 10, 20,
                                      > 30, 40, and 50 yards and has hit 5 of 10 at 60 yards.

                                      and

                                      > You may submit one score per person per day.

                                      Which I take to mean your cumulative score at the end of the day.

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Apr 24, 2007
                                        So if I have already done 10 & 20 yards, and come out one day and start
                                        at 30 yards, shoot 10 arrows, don't make it, shoot another 10, don't
                                        make it, shoot another 10 and this time make it; I can then move back
                                        to 40 yards and continue shooting?

                                        I don't have to declare ahead of time that the next ten I shoot are for
                                        score? I just can't start shooting and on my 4 arrow miss and then
                                        start over again. I should been shooting a full round of 10 no matter
                                        what?

                                        Ryan
                                      • Bill Brown
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Apr 24, 2007
                                          Hummm, I see your point (no pun intended).

                                          Domingos

                                          _____

                                          Message 20 of 23 , Apr 25, 2007
                                            When Mark R. Miller put fingers to keys it was 4/24/07 6:40 PM...

                                            > So if I have already done 10 & 20 yards, and come out one day and start
                                            > at 30 yards, shoot 10 arrows, don't make it, shoot another 10, don't
                                            > make it, shoot another 10 and this time make it; I can then move back
                                            > to 40 yards and continue shooting?
                                            >
                                            > I don't have to declare ahead of time that the next ten I shoot are for
                                            > score? I just can't start shooting and on my 4 arrow miss and then
                                            > start over again. I should been shooting a full round of 10 no matter
                                            > what?

                                            The rules are not specific about that (that I can see) but the real
                                            object of all of this is to become a better archer. Toward that end I
                                            say shoot the full set of ten every time.

                                            If you are missing now and again, your skill needs work, work on it. The
                                            test in this shoot is whether you can intentionally put ten consecutive
                                            arrows where you want them.

                                            If you were to just start over every time you missed too many to improve
                                            your score, part of what you were testing would be your luck instead of
                                            your skill.

                                            Message 21 of 23 , Apr 25, 2007
                                              Remember, above all, the spirit of the rules, not the letter. These
                                              particular archery challenges (wreath, window, stump, etc) were meant
                                              as a challenge and to bring a little fun back to the range. There is
                                              no prize, just a hardy hand-shake for a job well-done when you finally
                                              defeat a distance that was giving you fits.

                                              Archery is more about self-realization that any reward another person
                                              can give you. Your toughest critic will often be yourself. Seeking
                                              the perfection of your own form is the ultimate goal.

                                              -Caedmon
                                            • Mark R. Miller
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Apr 25, 2007
                                                Oh, I agree about the notion that this is really competing with
                                                yourself, but some people are competative for their own reasons and I
                                                just want a level playing field.

                                                (I am sooooo out of practice that I will be stuck at 10 yards for quite
                                                a while... but when I do get to move to 20 and maybe 30, it WILL be a
                                                personal triumph.)

                                                Looking forward to doing this.

                                                Ryan
                                              • Frederick Fenters
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Apr 26, 2007
                                                  The way I ran Caedmon's shoot in the past and the way I anticipate others
                                                  running mine is that one must declare that the flight is for score. You may
                                                  attempt multiple flights at a given distance, but must declare "this flight
                                                  is for score" before counting it.

                                                  If you do shoot multiple flights at a given range, please report all "for
                                                  score" flights. As Fritz noted, we are looking for skill, not luck. A
                                                  couple of 8 or 9 rounds before scoring a 10 means that you are showing
                                                  skill.

                                                  Clear as mud? Good. Caedmon is also very correct in that this is intended
                                                  to be fun as well as allowing a comparison.

                                                  Padraig